Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 06:04 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK SAWYER View Post
Why is some people comparing the floods in North Dakota to Katrina and making a race issue out of it saying ND is getting special treatment because of white population? Its not right for people to do so i dont think!I was reading Nd forums and some are making such race comments!
The only numb skull who made it a racial issue on that board was the one who described the citizens of New Orleans as lawless savages. Nobody said anything about special treatment for white folks.

Nice try though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 06:17 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
The only numb skull who made it a racial issue on that board was the one who described the citizens of New Orleans as lawless savages. Nobody said anything about special treatment for white folks.

Nice try though.
There are no white folk in New Orleans. Don't you know that?

Old 04-19-2009, 06:24 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,860 times
Well, compare the two areas. North Dakota is rural and has many self-sufficient farmers. They know how to do physical labor well without instruction. The land is how they make their money; they're not giving it up without a fight.

New Orleans was a large urban area, industrialized and lacking farms with "physical labor." Its economy was based on consumerism and major importing for food stuffs and "survivables" like any large urban area. When a huge ****-taster comes in and wipes out commerce like consumables, what do you do when that's all you know? You panic, going into survival mode. If they aren't going to sell to you, you just take. You don't have spare feed in your house. The market you usually buy food from is gone. You're not accustomed to farm labor to stop flooding, especially when no one else around you knows how to dictate that. So, you do what do know to survive: again, consume even if without money.

If you're conditioned to get help from the government and to being a part of a modern consumerist economy, of course you're not going to get sandbags to stop flooding. That doesn't register with you immediately. You'll say to yourself "the government is going to get us, just you wait." Then they don't come.

It's like those people who are highly religious waiting in the desert for Jesus to come and then he doesn't show. They then figure out that the entire thing was a sham, an illusion propped up only because people believed in it. That's how religion works; that's how much of monetary-economics works; that's how many of our systems work, and we don't realize it. But, once we do, we get disgruntled and upset, whining that the system was bull****. Well, it wasn't ALWAYS complete bull****, was it? That money in your pocket at one point bought something, didn't it (assuming monetary collapse in the distant future)? Why, it was JUST a piece of paper? Because people gave it the power to, putting their faith into it. What about that government? You believed that the Constitution was this holiest of holies, even though it was written on a piece of paper that continues to rot (literally, not figuratively). Again, people allowing themselves to be ruled by these ideals that they liked is what allowed the government's power to flourish, and the men who now run it know this... they just don't want to make sure you REALIZE it (note there is a difference of learning/knowing about it and REALIZING it). These folks in ND have realized this, that THEY are the power running these systems and ideals, not bureaucracies or pieces of paper. They know that it is THEY who have the power to come up with ideas to solve problems without having to go to someone else. Our ideas and technology are what make these systems work, not the other way around. The sooner folks figure out that these systems are not the omnipotent beings they think they are, the sooner you will realize we already have the power to change our environment.

Sorry for the Howard Beale moment there. It's a bit early and I haven't had my caffeine for the day :-).

Old 04-19-2009, 06:53 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
So much of it is the attitude of - "What is the government going to do for me" verses "What can I do to help myself"

Reagan said the 9 most scariest words are "I'm from the govt and I'm here to help"

Old 04-19-2009, 07:01 AM

Hmmmm city folks have lots of handy farm equipment. Ought to tell that to Ohio next time. They're lazy good for nothing and deserve floods. God is punishing them.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Hmmmm city folks have lots of handy farm equipment. Ought to tell that to Ohio next time. They're lazy good for nothing and deserve floods. God is punishing them.
No, saying that God is doing anything is just as stupid. I don't know why people think this. In the Bible, it even says God leaves the world alone and allows free will. That is, however, if you believe in religion... can't say that I'm a big believer.

Anyway, the point is, man has the most control over his destiny, and the reason why any of our institutions work is because of the faith/work/resources we put into them. They can just as easily fail without. The sooner we realize this, the sooner we can think on our feet by ourselves, not saying "___ me". We live on a life-bearing planet, but it also has its catastrophes that have put species extinct. It isn't a punishment from some omnipotent being, it just is. It's created by scientific weather patterns. Those who realize this are able to prepare better; those who don't will suffer because they are also probably narcissistic enough to think that "God is protecting them" and that "nothing bad could happen to THEM." Then, when it does, it was "God's will." No, it was weather; weather that happened in 1913 as well.

Now, we the people shouldn't just turn our backs on the suffering. That's inhumane. However, we shouldn't expect some entity to do it for us, since that entity IS US. We should do the charity, not just GIVE to charity to do it for us. Again, since we the citizens are the ones powering these machines.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Well, the floods in N. Dakota were predicted and expected, soemthing that Katrina wasn't. At leasat the magnitude of Katrina wasn't expected, and it happened more quickly. So that is part of the difference as to how it was handled. As for farmers being more self-reliant, not wanting the government in their lives, well, they're always ready to take federal crop supports and everything else the feds hand out to farmers.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
No, saying that God is doing anything is just as stupid.
I meant it to be stupid because this is a stupid thread. My stupid comment belongs on that wall right over there next to the punitive religious, but not too close to the wackaloon KKK folks because they drag people behind their trucks when they get too excited.

City dwellers are at a distinct disadvantage due to the nature of civilization creating an artificial dependence upon IT. Concentrated populations have little option but to follow those systems or leave. Not possible to be self sufficient in a city, although I wish it were.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Well, the floods in N. Dakota were predicted and expected, soemthing that Katrina wasn't. At leasat the magnitude of Katrina wasn't expected, and it happened more quickly. So that is part of the difference as to how it was handled. As for farmers being more self-reliant, not wanting the government in their lives, well, they're always ready to take federal crop supports and everything else the feds hand out to farmers.
Yes, I know about those subsidies. I hate them. They pay farmers to grow nothing to keep demand artificially higher than supply to keep the price up. Makes me sick to my stomach how many people could have been fed with that money.

You're also right about Katrina... the magnitude wasn't expected. But, even a level 3 would have broken the levy (according to some reports). Katrina was like a 4 or 5, no? I can't remember, but it was high. However, people still could have banded together to do something. Instead, the "___ me" entitlement mentality supported by our bureaucracy-laden government as well as consumerist idols have created the me-me-me mentality that no one knows how to work with people for a common cause. People have separated into "gangs" fighting each other, missing the real enemy. It's all about who can get the most stuff and be better than the other. The worst part is, many of the policies that keep the me-mentality going are disguised to help people: certain forms of welfare and tax credits, minimum wage, etc.. Some people say "wait a minute, these are good things. They help people afford things."

Well, why were they so expensive in the first place? The people receiving these benefits aren't villainous, as touted by neocon extremists. No, the villains are the ones who block technology and increasing production of these basic goods because another "political item" has come up (that will usually make the politician lots of $$$). So, let's slap a band-aid on the issue and move on, even if it means prices on everything will increase. Why aren't we increasing production of stuff like food? Because farmers want their subsidies. Those farmers know they harness not only their destinies, but ours as well because they control the food supply and the rest of us would go bonkers if we tried growing our own. Sure, they may not make money if the subsidies are taken away and they don't grow any food, but what good is money when you can't exchange it for commodities that they grow?

Old 04-19-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
City dwellers are at a distinct disadvantage due to the nature of civilization creating an artificial dependence upon IT. Concentrated populations have little option but to follow those systems or leave. Not possible to be self sufficient in a city, although I wish it were.
EXACTLY! We city dwellers have been convinced that we can't do anything because we depend on a large system of systems to make our everyday lives work. But that system of systems only works when people pour their energy and resources into them. If there is no faith in the system, the system cannot exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies