Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 04:34 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times

Advertisements

I'm sure I can't be the only person here who leans left (socially anyway) but favors the right of secession. Can I?

There are no good arguments against secession. The right of secession was taken for granted by all sides prior to the Civil War; there were even two serious agitations for northern secession, the first during the war of 1812, the second led by William Lloyd Garrison in the 1850s. The claim that the Civil War "settled" the issue is fraudulent in two ways: first, because the "rebellion" was only suppressed after federal property was attacked; second, because "I'll shoot you" is not a legal riposte.

That is the sort of thuggery that usually characterizes the right, and it's revolting to see liberals imitating it.

It's also incredible to imagine liberals wanting to keep reactionaries and nuts in the United States. Can you please explain what we get out of it that outweighs having to keep all the creationist loony-toons, Armageddon-forecasters and other rabble?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 04:35 PM

573 posts, read 801,669 times
Hey, it's a first step ...

Whether started by Texas, Vermont or South Carolina, a no-fault national divorce is "a good thing".

Just ask those in the former Czechoslovakia. They did it and don't regret it.

Pacifica, Redneckistan, and the New American Republic (2050) - three times better - voluntary, peaceful, democratic secession

Last edited by Tennis702; 04-17-2009 at 05:04 PM..

Old 04-17-2009, 04:39 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I'm sure I can't be the only person here who leans left (socially anyway) but favors the right of secession. Can I?

There are no good arguments against secession.
See Daniel Websters response to Robert Hayne 1830

Online Library of Liberty - The Webster-Hayne Debate on the Nature of the Constitution: Selected Documents

Old 04-17-2009, 04:50 PM

573 posts, read 801,669 times
Maybe the more productive blue states won't have to subsidize the red states any more.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:51 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,317,511 times
Quote:
Liberals for secession
*yawn*
Someone who proudly proclaims they are French Canadian, arrogantly recommending the partitioning of the States to suit their elitist sensibilities?

Old 04-17-2009, 05:02 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
*yawn*
Someone who proudly proclaims they are French Canadian, arrogantly recommending the partitioning of the States to suit their elitist sensibilities?
Er, I'm an American of French-Canadian descent. Not sure why that was unclear, or what it has to do with the price of tea.

I'm not "recommending" the "partitioning" of the states by some outside authority, but rather the peaceful separation of states that want to separate.

You can call me elitist all day; I am, and proudly so. To find someone who hates southern yokels more than I do you would have to dig up H.L. Mencken. No apologies for it. I don't want to be in a union with those clowns any more than they want to be in one with me. It's just like a really long, bad marriage.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:03 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,790 times
BS were not taking North Dakota they can go with the red states. They vote republican and the smell funny.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:10 PM

654 posts, read 466,373 times
I am for secession. I think the system is broken and not fixable.

We live in a society where gays don't have equal rights, where our "liberal" president keeps the power to spy and use warantless wiretapping on its citizens, there are claims that its business is as usual down in Gitmo and soon to be in Bagram, escalating two more wars in the Middle East without an exit strategy--costing resources and American lives--just to continue our imperialism, where there is not one ounce of fiscal responsibility and accountability among our many of our politicians, where our Congress is more corrupt than corporations, where we don't have control over the value of our dollar, politics of fear being used, and the current administration invoking "state secret" privileges.

I am sick of this ****, but I guess some liberals are not.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:25 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Secession for ethnic minorities forced together by imperial conquest, ok. Secession because you don't like the democratic process... childish. What's next, you don't like the policies supported by the northern part of the your state, the west side of you town, the east side of your block is secession going to be the answer to your problem? Why not just mindless self-destruct into anarchy.

This conversation is for spoiled children.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:27 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Er, I'm an American of French-Canadian descent. Not sure why that was unclear, or what it has to do with the price of tea.

I'm not "recommending" the "partitioning" of the states by some outside authority, but rather the peaceful separation of states that want to separate.

You can call me elitist all day; I am, and proudly so. To find someone who hates southern yokels more than I do you would have to dig up H.L. Mencken. No apologies for it. I don't want to be in a union with those clowns any more than they want to be in one with me. It's just like a really long, bad marriage.

That is a provocative thought. IMHO it might work until secessionists realized that they would be the ones picking cotton, picking tobacco, riding
herd or the fences on a large ranch. They'd be advertising for illegal immigrants after one day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies