Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 12:05 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Actually, it was KSM--not Zubaydah--that was waterboarded that many times. My mistake.
I imagine you would be the first crying when the hard times hit. Don't worry.

Someone, (not a liberal, they will be running for their lives and stubbing their toes and falling screaming for their mammies that did not love them for their better natures) probably a normal male, one you normally would look at with disdain, will help you get out of the mud, into a warm place and out of the way of the bad guys.

Then you can start telling him how dumb he is.

Then, you will have to produce something other than whines. Guess that will be a real Oprah moment.

Sorry, just daydreaming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 04:15 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Default "Waterboarded 183 times"? A lie.

Quote:
Bush, Cheney, et. al. need to be brought to justice once and for all for their war crimes. This is sickening. It reduces the U.S. to the same level as other fascist societies, in which no Rule of Law applies, and in which the government can perpetrate whatever horrors they wish on another human being. Not to mention their other brilliant successes: a country flooded with illegal immigrants, outsourced American Jobs, failing banks and businesses, the suspension of environmental protection laws, and a crashing economy. Obama needs to appoint a Special Prosecutor. And do it soon.
As it turns out, this story came from a left wing blog (according to reports) and is most likely a lie.

You just can't trust anything from the New York Times (who apparently carried the story) any more.

Funny. I suspected that this was a phony story as soon as I saw this thread.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:20 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
No...come up with a better analogy. I know that you can do it. Bearing in mind that we often, not always, try to be politically correct, how do you leave a terrorist with sight, hearing, fingers, toes, use of their legs and still scare them enough to spill their guts? Seriously, we're playing global hardball. The people who do this difficult work for a living have managed to prevent numerous terrorist attacks on our nation and people. Bear in mind that there are a host of thwarted attempts which you will never hear of or read about in the papers. We do like our sleep, enjoy feeling safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
After the fireman entered and then escaped burning buildings for the 2nd or 50th time, did he not realize that burning buildings weren't dangerous?

If waterboarding is just a little water in the face, painless and harmless, why would it have any influence on making a hardened terrorist confess to anything? What's the point of waterboarding if it's harmless and painless?

Old 04-20-2009, 04:49 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
ITS NOT TORTURE, jesus.. Find me ONE LEGAL thing ANYWHERE that says it is..

Uncomfortable, scary yes, but not TORTURE

And no, I wouldnt want it to be done to me, but I sure in the heck would be abdicating the killing of innocent civilians either..

do you think pulling out fingernails is torture lol so conservatives think not, the US has used torture against its citizens, physchiatric experiments on certain people, dr heath.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania
No...come up with a better analogy. I know that you can do it. Bearing in mind that we often, not always, try to be politically correct, how do you leave a terrorist with sight, hearing, fingers, toes, use of their legs and still scare them enough to spill their guts? Seriously, we're playing global hardball. The people who do this difficult work for a living have managed to prevent numerous terrorist attacks on our nation and people. Bear in mind that there are a host of thwarted attempts which you will never hear of or read about in the papers. We do like our sleep, enjoy feeling safe.
so where are the stops, where do they happen, i never heard of the preventions during the other era either...

continuning meddling in other countries affairs to secure our interest will continue to cause problems. theres not a different feeling from now to the clinton days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nononsenseguy
As it turns out, this story came from a left wing blog (according to reports) and is most likely a lie.

You just can't trust anything from the New York Times (who apparently carried the story) any more.

Funny. I suspected that this was a phony story as soon as I saw this thread.

most likely doesnt mean it isnt

Old 04-20-2009, 04:53 PM

157 posts, read 180,558 times

Old 04-20-2009, 05:00 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Exactly why it is extremely STUPID of obama to release this info !!! But obamas defenders will come up with some lame excuse for his stupidity.
its not stupid, hey i thought this wasnt torture? which one is it. if it isnt torture as many of you say whats the problem with this release.. lmao

trying to cover up lies and deception, THINK!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:02 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
Waterboarding these terrorists was a waste of time. They should have been sent to an urgent meeting with Allah. I don't think any valuable information was gained from them.
The real problem is dealing not with arch-terrorists, but suspects with no solid evidence against them. Thousands of these were arrested for no better reason then a rumor, a word from an informant, or just because they were at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:17 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Bush, Cheney, et. al. need to be brought to justice once and for all for their war crimes. This is sickening. It reduces the U.S. to the same level as other fascist societies, in which no Rule of Law applies, and in which the government can perpetrate whatever horrors they wish on another human being. Not to mention their other brilliant successes: a country flooded with illegal immigrants, outsourced American Jobs, failing banks and businesses, the suspension of environmental protection laws, and a crashing economy. Obama needs to appoint a Special Prosecutor. And do it soon.

Please click on link to see released memo:

Emptywheel » Khalid Sheikh Mohammed Was Waterboarded 183 Times in One Month

Jonathan Turley's blog:

New Torture Memos Reveal Details of America’s Torture Program « JONATHAN TURLEY
Wouldn't you think that after the fourth or fifth time that he would have come to the realization that they weren't going to actually drown him? After a while wouldn't it really lose it's effectiveness? You would think so.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-20-2009, 07:51 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,239 times
Originally Posted by reconmark
Why are people argueing about what is and what isn't torture???

The dictionary clearly states the definition of torture, and waterboarding meets that definition!!!

torture definition | Dictionary.com

tor⋅ture   /ˈtɔrtʃər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [tawr-cher] Show IPA noun, verb, -tured, -tur⋅ing.
–noun 1. the act of inflicting excruciating pain, as punishment or revenge, as a means of getting a confession or information, or for sheer cruelty.
2. a method of inflicting such pain.
3. Often, tortures. the pain or suffering caused or undergone.
4. extreme anguish of body or mind; agony.
5. a cause of severe pain or anguish.

–verb (used with object) 6. to subject to torture.
7. to afflict with severe pain of body or mind: My back is torturing me.
8. to force or extort by torture: We'll torture the truth from his lips!
9. to twist, force, or bring into some unnatural position or form: trees tortured by storms.
10. to distort or pervert (language, meaning, etc.).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No one can "sanely" suggest waterboarding is not torture.

You may attempt to argue the justification of torture, but to deny that it is torture is on it's own merits, untrue!!

Incorrect, waterboarding causes severe discomfort and messes with the mind, its not pain

Furthermore, the procedure is allowed under US law, if Democrats think its wrong, and now have control of all 3 branches of government, maybe they should make it illegal..

Okay let's play silly word games in order to denude ourselves of the truth.

You say it's NOT pain, it's "SEVERE DISCOMFORT"

The dictionary gives the definition of discomfort as "mild pain" which totally contradicts your assertion that discomfort can be defined as "SEVERE DISCOMFORT"

You also state that it "messes with the mind". Read no#4 of the DEFINITION of torture and you will see that anguish of the MIND is also considered torture.

I find it hard that any intelligent person can say that a person going through the physical and mental trauma of drowning is only in discomfort!!!!!

dis⋅com⋅fort   /dɪsˈkʌmfərt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [dis-kuhm-fert] Show IPA
–noun 1. an absence of comfort or ease; uneasiness, hardship, or mild pain.
2. anything that is disturbing to or interferes with comfort.

–verb (used with object) 3. to disturb the comfort or happiness of; make uncomfortable or uneasy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 04-20-2009, 08:34 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko75 View Post
Please name one soldier prosecuted for waterboarding......just name one. You can't, you wont be able to because no ones been indicted or prosecuted!!!!!! Where did you make that up from?
General Jacob H. Smith, 1901.
Major Edwin G. Glenn, 1902.
Yukio Asano, 1947
Unnamed U.S. soldier, 1968
Sheriff James Parker, 1983

Waterboarding Used to Be a Crime - washingtonpost.com

Waterboarding Historically Controversial - washingtonpost.com

History of an Interrogation Technique: Water Boarding - ABC News

Roosevelt was right: Waterboarding wrong - Daniel A. Rezneck - Politico.com

http://waterboarding.org/node/19

http://dreamantilles.blogspot.com/20...-remember.html

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/2201660/ROUGH-DRAFT

Suck on that, you perverted little yokel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies