Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 11:53 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,546,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I understand that. Right now, neither (gay marriage or civil unions) is recognized in many states. I think the push for marriage and labeling anyone who doesn't want that as a bigot probably slows progress on it. I think people would be more willing to accept civil unions. It requires a change in either case. I agree that right now the situation is unfair.
Great reply. It's not often you'll get a reply like this on this issue. I think all of the extreme opposition is what fuels the bigot labeling. And the harsh statements on both sides fuel anger and resentment amongst many. I'm not sure that's going to cool down. I think gay rights activists need a leader and a central message that can break through common opinions and cut down on the anger.

I don't think of those opposed to gay marriage as bigots, but it's difficult to ignore the similarities of this issue and the interracial marriage issue. The same "unnatural" arguments were used for that one too - and still are by some. It comes down to a comfort level and acceptance of someone who is different than you. I just can't understand how all the religious die-hards can take such an absolute position on this issue when religion (and the Bible specifically) is open to vastly different interpretations.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:10 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,457,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
Every state recognizes marriage. How many recognize civil unions?
How many employers/hospitals/etc recognize civil unions and offer partners the same rights and benefits as they would a spouse? That's where the inequality comes in. It's not universally recognized.

If all those opposed to gay marriage were to approve of civil unions being recognized universally the same way marriage is, just without the term "marriage" being used, there would be no issue for most people. But that is not the case.
Do you not realize that I do not have access to my husbands medical records unless he says I do! Because of Hippa.....
In fact some Dr's will not even let you make a appointment for your spouse which I think is ridiculous.
I have been married 19 years!

Where is your argument now

Old 04-22-2009, 12:17 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,690,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
So, his 'orientation' did not pop up to me so much as his basic attitude. Clear things up any?
Yes. Thank you. I'm glad you didn't see him as a representative for all gays.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:17 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,957,811 times
Utimately I think it is a matter of equality. As long as there is a distinction it invalidates the union of a gay couple. We can't allow them to marry because it is a sacred union between a man and woman. That type of mentality is invalidating to the union between like sexes. All consensual unions should be treated equally by the state. Call it marriage, call it civil union I don't care, just ensure its fair and equal for all unions. If as a man, I proclaim my love for a man who is anyone to say that is less valid than love between a man and a woman. Love is love and if we had more love in the world, we wouldn't even be discussing this issue of inequality. This truly is the last acceptable form of discrimination for many people.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Well she represents California pretty well given the voted to BAN GAY MARRIAGE.
She represents a small majority based on what we saw six months ago. I predict that by November 2010, if same-sex marriage is on the ballot again in California, it will win, and the ban will be removed.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
I agree with you 150%. Perez Hilton is a nobody IMO. He has an internet blog show...Big freaking deal, ANYONE can do that.
Perez Hilton, Rosie O'Donnell and other radical gays are the reason MOST people can't stand us.
I don't think that "most people can't stand us". And if someone doesn't like gays in general, it's not because of Hilton, O'Donnell, and other "radical gays".

Old 04-22-2009, 12:38 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,593,591 times
Quote:
Great reply. It's not often you'll get a reply like this on this issue. I think all of the extreme opposition is what fuels the bigot labeling. And the harsh statements on both sides fuel anger and resentment amongst many. I'm not sure that's going to cool down. I think gay rights activists need a leader and a central message that can break through common opinions and cut down on the anger.
Thanks. I agree with you. The "conversation" is frequently dominated by the extremes, and the people in the middle get lost in it. Unfortunately, those that are in the middle are probably the majority and have a lot of common ground.

Quote:
I don't think of those opposed to gay marriage as bigots, but it's difficult to ignore the similarities of this issue and the interracial marriage issue. The same "unnatural" arguments were used for that one too - and still are by some. It comes down to a comfort level and acceptance of someone who is different than you. I just can't understand how all the religious die-hards can take such an absolute position on this issue when religion (and the Bible specifically) is open to vastly different interpretations.
I think there are various reasons why people may not want to have marriage, and unfortunately some of them are in fact bigots. I just think to help the cause, it would be wiser to understand that there may be other reasons and that not everyone with a differing opinion is a bigot, though some may be.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:44 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,293,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
She represents a small majority based on what we saw six months ago. I predict that by November 2010, if same-sex marriage is on the ballot again in California, it will win, and the ban will be removed.

We shall see. As of right now she represents the state of California's beliefs, whether it be a small majority or not it's still the majority.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:01 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,633,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't think that "most people can't stand us". And if someone doesn't like gays in general, it's not because of Hilton, O'Donnell, and other "radical gays".
Maybe not, but their attitudes definitely don't make matters any easier for us either.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:01 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,465,881 times
The more they pitch a fit over it the more ridiculous they all look.

Why would you think it could pass in 2010?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies