Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 10:18 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,371,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well the upside to a full blown trial is all of the information should/will come out. That info will include what was done and why and when/how much.
If after reviewing all the evidence it is shown to a JURY that what was done needed to be done then so be it. If it's shown that someone was put through that for no reason or gain then the JURY will decide what is to be done.

I fully support playing music all the time,making 'em cold and uncomfortable and yes, even waterboarding if it will save lives but it cannot be used without oversight. You have to lay some responsability on the terrorists as they're fully aware of what they signed up for.
I think the point is that they stand trial. Anything beyond that is just vengence. That isn't the role of Law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 10:23 AM

37,222 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
A sitting administration going after a past administration for political gain is not in the best interests of the taxpayers.
Not political gain.

Investigating criminal activity.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:24 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Yes lets put them all on trial, let tie our hands behind our back so that we can't get any information from trrrorists, maybe if we serve them icecream and cake they will give up information.
I'll say this, We have always used methods that are not nice to get info from our enemies, it may not be nice but it works, i think releasing info and condeming ourselves for these methods is insane.
Why Torture Doesn't Work
By Brigader General David R. Irvine

Craig Murray - Why Torture Doesn't Work (http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2005/11/why_torture_doe_1.html - broken link)

What I find suspect is that many techiniques had sexual and sadistic overtones. Bush has a history since childhood of having sadistic tendencies. Cheney is just not even human let alone humane. These chickenhawks got ther jollies watching other people suffer.

If anyone has not seen "Torturing Democracy" in its entirety, you need to.

YouTube - "Torturing Democracy" Excerpt #1

Last edited by sickofnyc; 04-22-2009 at 10:37 AM..

Old 04-22-2009, 10:43 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
It would only further divide the country. Really, it is best to let it go. This isn't a hill worth dying over.
You're saying that the truth shall be more divisive than "two sides" getting away with crimes? I think "letting it go" is the dumbest idea of the century. Why investigate anything then? It seems to me you think the US is only capable of having two sides and that those two sides will always oppose each other. Is party allegiance hereditary and immutable?

My view is that the truth is both sides are really the SAME side and if we do any kind of investigation, we'll clearly see how badly we've been duped. BOTH parties are guilty of allowing our reputation be dismantled on the world stage. BOTH sides lie through their teeth to keep up the illusion that they don't collude with each other.

I WANT an investigation and I don't care who goes to jail or what the consequences are. The TRUTH is more important than party loyalty or the continuation of our current government. My hope is NEITHER party survives and the PEOPLE get their government back.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:48 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,371,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Why Torture Doesn't Work
By Brigader General David R. Irvine

Craig Murray - Why Torture Doesn't Work (http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2005/11/why_torture_doe_1.html - broken link)

What I find suspect is that many techiniques had sexual and sadistic overtones. Bush has a history since childhood of having sadistic tendencies. Cheney is just not even human let alone humane. These chickenhawks got ther jollies watching other people suffer.

If anyone has not seen "Torturing Democracy" in its entirety, you need to.

YouTube - "Torturing Democracy" Excerpt #1

They should listen to McCain on this.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Excuse me for saying so, but Ghandi tactics are not acceptable here. Atrocities were committed in our name and "just letting it go" is not an honorable, truthful or dutiful option. We cannot have this as part of a foundation for rebuilding our nation and respect for ourselves. George Washington was determined to try and punish any soldier that went against his no torture policy, so why should we not hold ourselves to the same moral compass?
I hope you meant to say "Alleged atrocities" since none have been proven at this point have they?

Old 04-22-2009, 11:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Pelosi, Harmon, Hoyer, Reyes, and Rockefeller have a heck of a lot of explaining to do. They should all be investigated - and charged if warranted.

But Cheney, Bush, Rumsfeld, Gonzales, et al. are seriously guilty and need to go to prison.
Oh I see, explaining from the left but jail for the right.... Yep nothing partisan here....

Old 04-22-2009, 11:55 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I hope you meant to say "Alleged atrocities" since none have been proven at this point have they?
Alleged? I think that the memos and videos negate the word "Alleged".

Old 04-22-2009, 11:59 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Default The Republicans Should Lead The Brigade To Imprison The Bush Admistration

Then they could EARN some respectability and integrity for themselves and the Nation.

They now have the opportunity to steal the whole show. (The one they created)

I highly suggest they take advantage of this opportunity.

Last edited by ergohead; 04-22-2009 at 12:21 PM..

Old 04-22-2009, 12:02 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
I had not read that... is that correct? They certainly don't have the power to implement the torture... that lies with the executive branch... but did they specifically approve waterboarding and the other torture techniques?
Maybe not but they had the power to stop it.

Presidential Executive Orders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies