Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:56 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,334,784 times

Advertisements

Or if not "racist" - then, are there certain nationalities or ethnic groups which you are not very fond of because of bad experiences?

This isn't a trolling thread. And, I'm aware that one or two folks can't speak or represent an entire group.

Still - and this is me - if the question were posed to me, I would definitely answer "YES."

And for the record, I'm speaking about immigrant minorities here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 12:02 PM

7,004 posts, read 21,348,506 times
This thread might go the wrong way.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:05 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,388,253 times
OP, heaven help all people like you.

A man with a beard cut me off in traffic. should i dislike all men with beards?

Old 04-22-2009, 12:05 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,057,024 times
That's a negative for me. I am more tolerant of different races/ethnic groups now than I ever was growing up in a fairly racist home. My family, while proclaiming themselves Christians, are some of the most racist people I've ever met. No, I am not like them, and I've raised my kids not to be like them either, even though my kids are subjected to their racist rants whenever we visit them. Asking them not to do it, is of no use. They do it anyway.

I like everybody and I give people the benefit of the doubt. If someone pisses me off, it's not because of their race, it's because they are probably just an a**hole.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:06 PM

I'm just going to say I am racist against my own people. lol

Old 04-22-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post

I would make him pull over, pull out a razor and shave his beard.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post

Samston,

Thanks for saying this (not the heaven part, I mean the beard part). And I mean this without sarcasm.

I thank you because this is what I mean. It's logically flawed to discriminate against an entire race, creed, or group because of one or two bad experiences with a representative from those groups.

However, is it really reprehensible for a person to become wary and suspicious of a specific group or nationality; to dislike them; or, to even discriminate against them if the said person has been repeatedly mistreated by and had his/her trust abused by a specific group of people?

My answer would be that while it might still be illogical to make blanket judgments, it's understandable if the said person ended up that way. I say this because I've seen it happen to others and it's happened to me.

Note, also, that I have not specified any group, race, nationality or creed; I limited myself to saying that there are one or more (?) immigrant nationalities I've had bad experiences with and continue to do so for reasons I will not specify. And therefore, I don't like them and never associate with them.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:13 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,870,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Or if not "racist" - then, are there certain nationalities or ethnic groups which you are not very fond of because of bad experiences?This isn't a trolling thread. And, I'm aware that one or two folks can't speak or represent an entire group.Still - and this is me - if the question were posed to me, I would definitely answer "YES."And for the record, I'm speaking about immigrant minorities here.
Ok, this post belongs with the other one that was on here today about prejudging people...this is about one in the same. The answer to your question about being more racist is absolutely, positively not. Was never racist when younger and am not racist now. The only really bad experiences I have had have been with WHITE folks not anyone of any color..was bullied in high school by a blonde with blue eyes and blonde hair not by any african american, puerto rican, mexican or asian kids. WHITE and I am white.

Look, this whole concept of being racist or prejudging people stinks and with all that is going on in the world now, we should all be working together as one people to solve some of the horrible issues at hand. Give yourself a few scenarios of what ifs then come back and tell me you are a true racist. For example: Had you been in Louisiana and saw a black family stranded in the water and you had a boat, would you have let them drown...I don't think so!

Be very careful. As you get older, there is another whole category of prejudice that goes along with doddering old folks. I am pretty near there myself and try not to complain when they drive too slow, take too much time getting change out at the cash register, insist on writing out checks instead of using debit cards, bang into me with a shopping cart or perhaps lose their car in a parking lot and wander around aimlessly looking for it. This could be me in a few years and someday you too...a whole new set of racist/prejudgmental rules coming along here, huh?

Live and let live and worry about something that matters....race doesn't.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
That's a negative for me. I am more tolerant of different races/ethnic groups now than I ever was growing up in a fairly racist home. My family, while proclaiming themselves Christians, are some of the most racist people I've ever met. No, I am not like them, and I've raised my kids not to be like them either, even though my kids are subjected to their racist rants whenever we visit them. Asking them not to do it, is of no use. They do it anyway.

I like everybody and I give people the benefit of the doubt. If someone pisses me off, it's not because of their race, it's because they are probably just an a**hole.
Good for you.

But as I asked the other person, I ask you. What if you deal constantly with a certain group of people and for the most part those people are rude, dishonest, unethical, and wholly unpleasant to deal/work with? Would you absolutely not develop a certain dislike or suspicion for that group of people, however unfair it may be to the members of that group who don't act that way?

Old 04-22-2009, 12:14 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,870,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
This thread might go the wrong way.
It already did!

CP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies