Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 04:20 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I read in her post that she and a friend were waiting at their table while others who entered the restaurant after them were seated and had already ordered before they had.
Thank you for this post. It has so much to do with black people generally being bad tippers.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:21 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post

You really stiffed a server because they were too busy to take your order right away? I guess you confirmed their assumed preconceived notion that you were ignorant diners. Customers always over exaggerate their waiting times, and always think they have to add a little something, like your note you left, because you think you are better than them. Thats a really low thing to do, on top of stiffing them. If they had a bad attitude and weren't being helpful at all, then sure, leave them 10% or stiff them or whatever, but you just costed that server money because they were busy. Very ignorant thing to do.
Excuse me but the restaurant wasn't that busy and folks who came in after us were being served. The ONLY reason why someone eventually took our order and offered us drinks after 20 minutes of waiting to be acknowledged was because we complained. We would have been fools to leave a tip after that bad experience. I don't freaking care if the server loses money at tax time if the server isn't doing their jobs! It isn't MY responsibility to pay YOUR salary, MY responsibility is to pay the cost of my meal. If the server provides me with good service, he or she will be rewarded accordingly.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:22 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Thank you for this post. It has so much to do with black people generally being bad tippers.
Well what other reason would they have for not leaving any tip at all?

They honestly should have stood up from their table and walked out of the restaurant.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
How? My black friend wanted to leave a tip after receiving bad service and I talked her out of it! I am the one that left the note and I'm white!

Old 07-28-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I read in her post that she and a friend were waiting at their table while others who entered the restaurant after them were seated and had already ordered before they had.
Thank you Lucky.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
The last time I read what the definition of what a waiter or waitress does for a living it included, taking orders, bringing food and beverages to the table, usually more than one table at the same time. If they automatically expect a tip every time they wait on a table I think they are asking for too much. It's not a requirement to tip, that's what you get paid a salary for - doing a job.

Like I said a tip shouldn't be automatically expected.

Tips are OPTIONAL not a REQUIREMENT.

So now you're generalizing that 99% of blacks don't like bloody meat.

What a ridiculous retort.

Frankly I can't stand bloody meat nor runny eggs - but I'm just one individual.
LOL you really think that its too much to expect a tip on every table? Man you people are ignorant. Its true that you don't have to tip on every table, but if you don't tip a waiter after receiving competent service, that makes you a cheap person and you have no room to complain about any kind of service. Like it or not, waiters LIVE on tips, its just proper etiquette. Most waiters get paid just enough hourly to pay for the taxes on their tips.

So really, feel free to stiff waiters, but don't get all huffy when you are labeled as a cheap, greedy person. And don't complain when you get bad service at a restaurant, cuz you deserve it.

Everyone in America should have to work in the service industry for at least a year, so we can eliminate the kind of ignorance that Lucky had displayed for us today.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:32 PM

You know it would send a definite message to anyone if they walked in a restaurant and were seated and left waiting for 20 minutes, had to complain to get service, all the while watching others seated after them, and ordering meals. It wouldn't have to be a black or white issue either, maybe they didn't like out of towners, it doesn't really matter what it was because anything that makes a customer feel unwelcome in a restaurant sends a definite message, and I wouldn't have stayed where I wasn't welcome. I most certainly would not eat the food they prepared in the kitchen being suspicious of what they were doing to my order behind closed doors.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
LOL you really think that its too much to expect a tip on every table? Man you people are ignorant. Its true that you don't have to tip on every table, but if you don't tip a waiter after receiving competent service, that makes you a cheap person and you have no room to complain about any kind of service. Like it or not, waiters LIVE on tips, its just proper etiquette. Most waiters get paid just enough hourly to pay for the taxes on their tips.

So really, feel free to stiff waiters, but don't get all huffy when you are labeled as a cheap, greedy person. And don't complain when you get bad service at a restaurant, cuz you deserve it.

Everyone in America should have to work in the service industry for at least a year, so we can eliminate the kind of ignorance that Lucky had displayed for us today.
It isn't the diners fault that restaurant owners don't pay well and that the government taxes on tips! Those are the folks you should be directing your anger towards. As far as I (and many other folks) are concerned, tips should be reserved for over and above service, not minimum or poor service. Anyone who chooses a profession that relies on tips to make a living had better hustle and exceed their customers' satisfaction.

Quote:

Where's the law that states you must tip your server?

Show me the regulation. That's right, there IS NONE.

A tip for your server is simply American dining etiquette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Excuse me but the restaurant wasn't that busy and folks who came in after us were being served. The ONLY reason why someone eventually took our order and offered us drinks after 20 minutes of waiting to be acknowledged was because we complained. We would have been fools to leave a tip after that bad experience. I don't freaking care if the server loses money at tax time if the server isn't doing their jobs! It isn't MY responsibility to pay YOUR salary, MY responsibility is to pay the cost of my meal. If the server provides me with good service, he or she will be rewarded accordingly.
You have no idea why it took a while to take your order, it could have just been an honest mistake. And you say 20 minutes, but you could be lying, as most customers do when detailing how long they've been waiting. I doubt you looked at your watch the second you sat down, no one does. Again, you're ignorant to these facts because you've never worked in a restaurant before.

The reason tipping isn't mandatory ( in some restaurants) is because the public is actually trusted into being mature and considerate people. If everyone agreed with you, they would just do away with tips and jack up food prices to account for the hourly wage servers would have to start making. Then again, some restaurants add 20% gratuity onto every check because of people like you.
Quote:
Well what other reason would they have for not leaving any tip at all?

They honestly should have stood up from their table and walked out of the restaurant.
Yeah they should have left if they felt the service was inadequate, instead they saw it as a chance to save some money by stiffing an innocent waiter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
How? My black friend wanted to leave a tip after receiving bad service and I talked her out of it! I am the one that left the note and I'm white!
Yes, this is one instance that has nothing to do with what were talking about. I mean your black friend wanted to leave a tip one time, so that means all black people are amazing tippers? No. Again, you don't know what you're talking about cuz you've never worked in a restaurant before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies