Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should sexual orientation be added to hate crime laws across the USA?
Yes 58 55.24%
No 37 35.24%
Maybe 3 2.86%
I don't care about this issue. 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 06:46 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,844,425 times

Advertisements

hate crime laws are insane. every crime is a hate crime. these laws are absurd and keep lawyers employed.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:20 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
WRONG!!!! The "theory" is wrong! If someone ties a homosexual to a fence and beats him silly it does nothing to anyone except that individual, and would already be covered by most aggravated assault laws on the books. If some leftist loon walks into a church and opens fire and kills dozen Christians, we dont need to know his motive, all we need to know is he is guilty of murder.
While I agree with you on this, I wish you would stop f-ing screaming at us every time you post something.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:24 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
hate crime laws are insane. every crime is a hate crime.
While I'm pretty sure I believe that hate crime laws should be abolished, I don't agree that every crime is a hate crime. Do you really believe that? I know it's a line that you hear repeatedly, but I don't see the logic in it. Homes are burglarized every day for no other reason than that the burglars just want to steal someone's property. That's not about hate.

Speeding is a crime. Is that about hate?

Jaywalking is a crime. Is that about hate?

Old 05-01-2009, 03:13 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I have a question for all those who are staunch supporters of hate crime laws...would you support criminalizing racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. itself? Even when no other criminal act has been committed?
No

Old 05-01-2009, 03:25 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
hate crime laws are insane. every crime is a hate crime. these laws are absurd and keep lawyers employed.
Wow. No offense but this is the kind of statement a simpleton would make. You don't think that the motive for a crime (the thinking i.e. thoughts of the perpetrator) should have anything to do with the prosecution or sentencing? You don't think its worse for me to beat someone up simply because they are gay than it is for me to beat them up to protect myself?

Wow. That's all I can say. What a mindless post.

- Reel

Old 05-01-2009, 08:10 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
For the sake of curiousity; Is there a hate crime law for assaulting a white heterosexual male? If someone tied me to a fence and beat me silly because I am a white hetero male and they do not like white hetero males, would they be charged with a hate crime? I do not believe they would be...which should make these laws invalid in my opinion because I am not equally protected under the law in that scenerio. Thoughts?

Old 05-01-2009, 08:16 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
For the sake of curiousity; Is there a hate crime law for assaulting a white heterosexual male? If someone tied me to a fence and beat me silly because I am a white hetero male and they do not like white hetero males, would they be charged with a hate crime? I do not believe they would be...which should make these laws invalid in my opinion because I am not equally protected under the law in that scenerio. Thoughts?
Yes, it would be a hate crime.

If you were beat simply becuase you were white, it would fall under race - it does not exclude whites. For Example:
Ten inmates charged with hate crimes after white prisoners beaten in Lafourche jail (http://www.wwltv.com/topstories/stories/wwl032409tphate.68895019.html - broken link)

If you were beat simply for being straight, it would fall under sexual orientation - it does not exclude heterosexuals

Old 05-01-2009, 08:24 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Actually, the way most hate crime laws are worded, yes it's possible for the perpetrator of such a crime to be charged with a hate crime. The law doesn't say the victim must be black or gay or female. It says if the crime was committed because of bias or hatred toward the race, (whether the victim be black, white, Asian, Indian or whatever) gender, (either gender) sexual orientation (whatever sexual orientation the victim may be or the perpetrator may express hatred for) of the victim. The law does not list 'protected classes' - it merely describes a hate crime as one based on bias.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:32 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Actually, the way most hate crime laws are worded, yes it's possible for the perpetrator of such a crime to be charged with a hate crime. The law doesn't say the victim must be black or gay or female. It says if the crime was committed because of bias or hatred toward the race, (whether the victim be black, white, Asian, Indian or whatever) gender, (either gender) sexual orientation (whatever sexual orientation the victim may be or the perpetrator may express hatred for) of the victim. The law does not list 'protected classes' - it merely describes a hate crime as one based on bias.
That's the legal side of it. But there is a practical side of it. In practice, how many hate crime prosecutions are going to be tied to white male victims? How many juries are going to find guilty on hate crime charges when the victim is a white male? Hate crimes are not part of plea agreements, they are part of jury trials. Prosecutors aren't just about prosecuting every person who gets arrested, they want trials they can win.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:34 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That's the legal side of it. But there is a practical side of it. In practice, how many hate crime prosecutions are going to be tied to white male victims? How many juries are going to find guilty on hate crime charges when the victim is a white male? Hate crimes are not part of plea agreements, they are part of jury trials. Prosecutors aren't just about prosecuting every person who gets arrested, they want trials they can win.
Depends on a lot of things. For instance, I forgot to include religion, which is listed in most hate crime legislation. So if this white heterosexual male is say a Christian and he was attacked because he is Christian, then, yes, that could be classified as a hate crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies