Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 08:29 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Honestly though....this knucklehead is suggesting we put tracking units in cars to record miles driven? And that's supposed to SAVE money? Really?
No, the units will actually be in the form of a LoJack stuffed up everyone's rear end, since that's the level of intrusion desired by the current regime. That way even bicycle riders will be tracked. Report for your insertion now! Of course Obama-maniacs will be exempt since there's no room in their behinds since their heads are already jammed tight in that space!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 08:39 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
People who use roads more should pay more. A large increase in the gas tax might be a better way to do that though.

Then by your logic people who use public transportation should pay for it. Why are our taxes being used to subsidize it?

Old 10-21-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If this replaced the gas tax then I would be for it. I don't drive that much anyway, let the people who drive a lot pay more.

And about tracking vehicles - personal privacy in public places is a thing of the past anyway, so who cares?

Hint: every single consumer good that you buy including food arrives on a....wait for it.....TRUCK

Old 10-21-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
lol, what the hell is this?

I will gladly pay my fair share. If you drive 100,000 miles/year and I drive 5,000, you should pay 20x more tax as it applies to road maintenance than me. How is that not fair? When did I say to let 'someone else' pay for anything? Read what I say before jumping on your damn soapbox!

If you ride public transit every day and I never use it why should I pay for it?

If you have kids in the school system and I don't why should I pay for it?

Can you see where this is going?

Old 10-21-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Honestly though....this knucklehead is suggesting we put tracking units in cars to record miles driven? And that's supposed to SAVE money? Really?

The way this works, it would get contracted out to some union at a cost of about $1000/car. It would get him a kickback...an endorsement from the union, and would end up costing millions more than it actually saved.

I'm surprised President Skippy isn't all over this one--this would be right up his alley.

Every year when I get my car safety inspected the mileage is noted. They already know how many miles each car is driven. The only way around that would be to buy a new car from out of state.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:53 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
If you ride public transit every day and I never use it why should I pay for it?

yes, I can see that it is going nowhere If this type of law is passed then we are in for a serious problem. Fortunately, the masses are rising to the challenge, and the tax & spend politicians will be OUT of congress.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:59 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
THanks for your "explanation".....but I am still kinda liking the view from my box!
Can you respond to my content please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yeah the gas tax already works that way, no need for another one.
Drive less-use less fuel-pay fewer taxes.

Who pays for the GPS transponder and the infurstrcture to go with it in your big brother utopia?
And how do you account for less money from the gas tax due to hybrids/hydrogen fuel cell/electric vehicles?

I am very for small-government, but if you think we don't already live in a big-brother society then you are nothing short of naive. Let me ask you this (putting aside idealism for a minute): would you rather your car cost $30 more to pay for a GPS chip, or would you rather have your property tax increase to pay for less gas-powered vehicles? I don't like either option, but we don't live in a fairy tale, this is real life and there isn't always an ideal solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
It's my understanding that the reason to change to being taxed on miles travelled instead of gas purchased is due to the increase in hybrid cars. Those cars use less gas but can travel the same distances. Ergo, people with hybrid cars are not contributing their share of taxes used for highway maintenance.
Very true.

Quote:
Hint: every single consumer good that you buy including food arrives on a....wait for it.....TRUCK
Sorry, what does this have to do with anything? Trucks pay for the mileage they drive, companies pay for the transportation costs and I pay the companies for food. Under this new system, the gas trucks use is priced less and a tax per mile is enacted. Do you get it or should I speak slower?

Quote:

I agree with this 100%. I shouldn't pay for services I don't use. I shouldn't pay for public schools if I don't have kids, I shouldn't pay for social security if I don't want it, and I should pay less to maintain roads if I drive less.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Can you respond to my content please?

And how do you account for less money from the gas tax due to hybrids/hydrogen fuel cell/electric vehicles?

I am very for small-government, but if you think we don't already live in a big-brother society then you are nothing short of naive. Let me ask you this (putting aside idealism for a minute): would you rather your car cost $30 more to pay for a GPS chip, or would you rather have your property tax increase to pay for less gas-powered vehicles? I don't like either option, but we don't live in a fairy tale, this is real life and there isn't always an ideal solution.

Very true.

Sorry, what does this have to do with anything? Trucks pay for the mileage they drive, companies pay for the transportation costs and I pay the companies for food. Under this new system, the gas trucks use is priced less and a tax per mile is enacted. Do you get it or should I speak slower?

I agree with this 100%. I shouldn't pay for services I don't use. I shouldn't pay for public schools if I don't have kids, I shouldn't pay for social security if I don't want it, and I should pay less to maintain roads if I drive less.
If this happens trucks will pay more to use the roads and costs for everything you buy will increase.

So when you're 80 and need medical care you'll be fine with 20, 30, and 40 somethings that don't want to pay for medicare. Sounds good.

Next time you have a medical emergency you can call your ambulance.

Next time you have a break in at your home you can call your police officers

Old 10-21-2010, 09:28 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,280,243 times
Start by paying less to the three guys standing around talking at every road work site I see.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:43 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
If this happens trucks will pay more to use the roads and costs for everything you buy will increase.

So when you're 80 and need medical care you'll be fine with 20, 30, and 40 somethings that don't want to pay for medicare. Sounds good.

Next time you have a medical emergency you can call your ambulance.

Next time you have a break in at your home you can call your police officers
Sorry, what is your problem? I am completely comfortable paying my own way. What exactly are you trying to prove arguing with me? And besides, how exactly do you know a per-mile-driven tax would be more than the existing gas tax? That is an unsubstantiated claim that you are ignorantly throwing around so you can 'win' an argument.

Look - if you are comfortable paying for hybrid/electric/hydrogen powered cars to drive for free, that is fine, but I actually want everyone to contribute rather than giving some people a free ride. Obviously you don't feel the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies