Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:57 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,744 times

Advertisements

There is no American Dream anymore.

This doesnt even seem like the same country. Low income families to middle income families who are not buying cigarettes, drugs, booze, going out to eat, doing any family activities, and have no credit cards or credit card debt are priced out of the market everywhere. Not just one state. Even if they could save monthly it would be such small amounts it would take them three lifetimes to do anything with those savings. Both parents are have to work if they have kids. Except one of those incomes goes soley towards childcare. Without assistance(which families wont qualify for if both people are working) they struggle to survive with very few, to no extra expenses.

You see where the median home income values ar listed but how are they getting that data? Because it sure seems like they're going by college graduates income levels and not the average blue collar workers. Not everyone is cut out for professional careers or has the opportunity to go to school. You cant even get an apartment in many areas anymore, prices have gone up everywhere. Im not talking about people with credit cards, or a bunch of extra expenses either. The new USA is anti-family, and anti-American dream. I dont see how our kids will be able to afford this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 12:16 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,744 times
Poverty at an all time high, forclosures at an all time high in many places, homelessness at an all time high in many places. Unemployment holding fairly steady but rising. Low government assistance help anyone get off of assistance. New job growth is low paying with high requirements. In five to two years some places have seen average home prices rises %90. The more common places all over the USA have seen prices rise %50-%100 in the last ten years.

Worst money hungry people ever. Realitors and renters senselessly price gauging. Retirees driving up prices. Shoebox homes selling for insane prices. Starters homes costing as much or more than general laborers would make in their lifetime. Its not to long before more than half of the country is on some kind of government assistance relying on a Uncle Sam that is really a global Uncle Sam.

Worst government ever.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:30 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,000 times
My husband makes close to 70 grand a year and yet we can't find a decent house in a safe area where we are currently, sure if you want some ugly looking 900 sq ft home in a bad area for 200 or so, sure...also the cost of living is at 150 over the norm. I seriously do not know how people can afford a home, pay for college and retire and live where we do, or many places in the country for that matter, and many do it on alot less, my heart goes out to them, cause if we can't make it, I wonder how others do who make a whole lot less?! and yes, its not just who is in office, if you do your homework, your see it all of them fools, not just the current admins...good luck to you and yours.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:11 AM

612 posts, read 2,778,096 times
We live 20 minutes outside Atlanta and see a lot of reasonably priced homes. Hop on the 'net and check it out.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:35 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,290,585 times
It's definately a mess out there that's for sure.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:14 AM

192 posts, read 864,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
I dont see how our kids will be able to afford this country.
And if not, where else would they possibly go? It is a true Catch-22.

Despite all its problems, the USA still has the strongest overall economy in the world (the wealthy Arab oil nations are a different kettle of fish entirely and cannot be compared nation-to-nation to the USA).

Old 04-04-2007, 07:17 AM

192 posts, read 864,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
Retirees driving up prices.
I don't understand what you mean by that. How are retirees driving up prices?
Prices of what?

Old 04-04-2007, 07:51 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,820 times
What exactly is this thread about? What is this "new USA"? My neck of the woods hasn't changed much. In my hometown, a decent 3 bedroom house in a working-class neighborhood goes for $80,000 - $100,000. Bump up to a middle class neighborhood, and you're looking at $150,000. Or you can live in an upper-middle class neighborhood for about $200,000. Or if you want, you can move to a bad neighborhood and spend $50,000. That would cost you what, $400/month, maybe a little more?

Old 04-04-2007, 08:28 AM

1,247 posts, read 926,002 times
The real estate markets are correcting themselves. Interest rates were too low, for too long. That was a major force driving up prices. We'll be fine. Just give it some time.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:05 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
Just wondering, as you don't say, where you live?

I just left NM, housing had gone from affordable to reasonable to unreasonable in about a 10-year period. Housing costs in today's market are beyond what most of the long-time residents could afford, and if they didn't already own, they'd be forced to leave. Many of the families actually were fortunate enough to own land, and started building "family" compounds to save costs and share expenses.

Only the transplants, with pots of money, have been able and willing to buy. While once an acre was $1000., it is now $100,000.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
What exactly is this thread about? What is this "new USA"? My neck of the woods hasn't changed much. In my hometown, a decent 3 bedroom house in a working-class neighborhood goes for $80,000 - $100,000. Bump up to a middle class neighborhood, and you're looking at $150,000. Or you can live in an upper-middle class neighborhood for about $200,000. Or if you want, you can move to a bad neighborhood and spend $50,000. That would cost you what, $400/month, maybe a little more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies