Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 06:16 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
a gay person cannot openly express his sexual preference and still keep his job in the military.Ken
You are confusing "military policy" with "rights".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 06:24 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
You are confusing "military policy" with "rights".
So gee I guess if Gay folks were not allowed to vote then that would just be "government policy" eh?

It's "policy" to you because it doesn't impact YOU.
To those impacted - it's their RIGHTS!

Ken

Old 05-01-2009, 06:38 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Don't ask, don't tell should be eliminated.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:42 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
Let's see:

In the military, gays are not allowed to express their sexuality (regarding the fact that many gays have served in the US Army)

In most states, gays are not allowed to marry or adopt children

Some hospitals won't even serve them because of their sexuality. It's despicable.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:47 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Some hospitals won't even serve them because of their sexuality.
Ummm...you have a link for that?

If you're talking about the hospital visitations, I agree it's terrible. But I'm not aware of any cases where hospitals have refused treatment because someone is gay.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:57 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
If you're talking about the hospital visitations, I agree it's terrible. But I'm not aware of any cases where hospitals have refused treatment because someone is gay.
Yeah, I almost said something too because I've never heard of that either.

Maybe she's referring to this story:

California doctors can't refuse fertility treatments to lesbians on religious grounds, court rules - Los Angeles Times

Old 05-01-2009, 09:14 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yeah, I almost said something too because I've never heard of that either.

Maybe she's referring to this story:

California doctors can't refuse fertility treatments to lesbians on religious grounds, court rules - Los Angeles Times
Absolutely... many doctors on "religious" grounds have tried to deny treatment to gays... did you see that commercial about gay marriage... you know the one with the storms that Colbert mocked... one of the actors said something about compromising her morals as a doctor... a lot of folks out there think it's ok to not treat gay people; it's insane.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:41 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
did you see that commercial about gay marriage... you know the one with the storms that Colbert mocked... one of the actors said something about compromising her morals as a doctor... a lot of folks out there think it's ok to not treat gay people; it's insane.
Yeah, but there's also a strong libertarian streak in a lot of Americans that I can relate to. Should a private doctor be required to treat someone he or she doesn't like (for whatever reason)? In a public hospital or an emergency room, no, no one should be refused treatment, but I do think a private doctor should be able to refuse non-emergency treatment if he or she wants to.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:44 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
so you can't name one. just like I thought. I didn't lay out terms for a debate. I asked you to name a right a straight person had that a gay person did not. you can't do it, so you refer to an individual as a "wingnut." whatever the hell a "wingnut" is.
A wingnut is a crazy person. I don't think you're crazy. I think you are either small minded or unintelligent.

I haven't read all of these posts so I don't know if anyone else has pointed this out. Straight people have the right to marry the one they fall in love with and to whom they are sexually attracted. Gays do not have this right.

- Reel

Old 05-02-2009, 03:57 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
you know this wouldn't be an issue if the government had not been involved in the first place. government does not grant rights, it protects them. this is a man made issue.
Well you are correct so I guess you are not unintelligent. One of those rights is liberty. Liberty is the right to be left alone by government unless my actions infringe upon someone else's rights or there is some state interest in having my liberty restricted. Of course substantive due process is necessary in order to determine if these 'state interests' are legitimate.

Obviously gay marriage does not infringe on anyone else's rights. I have yet to see any due process never mind substantive due process used to determine a legitimate state interest in making gay marriage illegal.

- Reel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies