Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 09:39 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,118,898 times

Advertisements

Oh brother...there are so many rights denied to homosexuals;

The right to life is violated in states where the death penalty is applicable for sodomy.

The right to be free from torture or cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment is infringed upon by police practices, in investigations or in the case of lesbians, gays and bisexuals in detention.
Arbitrary arrest occurs in a number of countries with individuals suspected of having a homo/bisexual identity.

The freedom of movement is denied to bi-national couples by not recognizing their same sex relation.

The right to a fair trial is often affected by the prejudices of judges and other law enforcement officials.

The right to privacy is denied by the existence of 'sodomy laws' applicable to lesbians, gays and bisexuals, even if the relation is in private between consenting adults.

The rights to free expression and free association may either be denied explicitly by law, or lesbians, gays and bisexuals may not enjoy them because of the homophobic climate in which they live.

The practice of religion is usually restricted in the case of lesbians, gays and bisexuals, especially in the case of churches advocating against them.

The right to work is the most affected among the economic rights, many lesbians, gays and bisexuals being fired because of their sexual orientation or discriminated in employment policies and practices.

The rights to social security, assistance and benefits, and from here - the standard of living - are affected, for example when they have to disclose the identity of their spouse.

The right to physical and mental health is at conflict with discriminatory policies and practices, some physicians' homophobia, the lack of adequate training for health care personnel regarding sexual orientation issues or the general assumption that patients are heterosexuals.

The right to form a family is denied by governments by not-recognizing same sex families and by denying the rights otherwise granted by the state to heterosexual families who have not sought legal recognition, but still enjoy several rights. Children can also be denied protection against separation from parents based of a parent's sexual orientation. Lesbians, gay and bisexual couples and individuals are not allowed to adopt a child, even in the case of the child of their same sex partner.

Lesbian, gay and bisexual students may not enjoy the right to education because of an unsafe climate created by peers or educators in schools.

Sexual orientation and human rights

Then there are the marriage rights that are denied, composed of about 400 state benefits and over 1,000 federal benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 09:50 AM

604 posts, read 751,902 times
Some valid arguements, although the first page had absolutely nothing along the lines of composition.

Homosexuals have many of the same rights as hetero-sexuals, voting rights, 1st amendment, miranda's etc. etc.

They CAN openly announce being gay in the army now (am I wrong?) and as for fear of saying they are gay, you can't control that per say... if they do it people will have different reactions, and the setting would distinguish some different reactions...

This has been argued many times, with other races sexes couples, etc
It does get old, but I'm wondering...

Why do we have to make a separate law for marriage??
Considering the fact that we do, I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for talking like this, and don't mean any offense to anyone....

But the Bible says man shouldn't marry man, same goes for women, but the fact we have to make a separate law for it is the first red flag for me...

It's like Meth or Cocaine, they would have to make a separate law, because it's wrong? is that why?

Is it because it's not natural?

Honestly, please tell me why. I'm not questioning anyone's reasoning for being gay, I don't care if its biological (disproven) or if it's just opinion or mental health or some un-godly or satanic reason that no one can describe,

Just tell me why we have to make a separate law for it.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:58 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,683,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post

But the Bible says man shouldn't marry man, same goes for women, but the fact we have to make a separate law for it is the first red flag for me...

It's like Meth or Cocaine, they would have to make a separate law, because it's wrong? is that why?

Is it because it's not natural?

Honestly, please tell me why. I'm not questioning anyone's reasoning for being gay, I don't care if its biological (disproven) or if it's just opinion or mental health or some un-godly or satanic reason that no one can describe,

Just tell me why we have to make a separate law for it.
A couple of small points:

1. You are absolutely wrong when you claim that a biological explanation for homosexuality has been disproven.

2. The law in the United States is not, and never has been, based on the bible. I'll be willing to start adopting law based on biblical precepts as soon as you get the Congress to prohibit the eating of pork and shellfish, prohibit the wearing of clothing made of two different fibers, requiring that blasphemers be executed, requiring that the penalty for rape will be that the rapist must marry his victim, and embodying every other law set forth in your bible.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:03 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,370,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
A couple of small points:

2. The law in the United States is not, and never has been, based on the bible. I'll be willing to start adopting law based on biblical precepts as soon as you get the Congress to prohibit the eating of pork and shellfish, prohibit the wearing of clothing made of two different fibers, requiring that blasphemers be executed, requiring that the penalty for rape will be that the rapist must marry his victim, and embodying every other law set forth in your bible.
Yes, US Law is based on English Common Law.

Ken

Old 04-08-2010, 10:20 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,406,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
The Bible says no such thing. But even if it did, do you really want to be using the Bible as a basis for 21st century law? Read Numbers and Deuteronomy where The Lord commanded his people to mass slaughter, pillage, kidnap, enslave and rape - then offer a share of the booty (including the young virgins girls) to Him.

There doesn't need to be a separate law. That's the point.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:26 AM

44 posts, read 54,813 times
Gays have the same rights as everyone else. Voting, freedom of speech (like those weird Gay Pride Parades), can bare arms, can own property, get married in DC, get employed, they live just like hetreosexuals.

I don't know what all gays are complaining about.

16,087 posts, read 41,204,077 times
I'm for enforcing the biblical (new testament) law that women can't wear gold. How would you like that one?

38,070 posts, read 22,234,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Well, since you won't accept the marriage issue as a basis for argument - he/she has the right the openly admit his/her sexual preference and still remain in the military.

Ken
Serving in the military is not a right, many people are disqualified from joining the military. Try again.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:27 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,204,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellicose View Post
Gays have the same rights as everyone else. Voting, freedom of speech (like those weird Gay Pride Parades), can bare arms, can own property, get married in DC, get employed, they live just like hetreosexuals.

I don't know what all gays are complaining about.
ROFL...you must be kidding!

I'll bet you'd probably be upset at 'bare arms' too!

Old 04-08-2010, 10:32 AM

44 posts, read 54,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
ROFL...you must be kidding!

I'll bet you'd probably be upset at 'bare arms' too!
Which reminds me that they can't join the military either, and I think it is best if they did not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies