Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 08:23 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,852,080 times

Advertisements

One of the reasons Arlen Specter, D-PA gave for his switch was that he couldn't win a primary against the right wing/club for "growth" candidate Pat Toomey. At the end of March a Quinnipiac poll showed him trailing Toomey by about 14 points.

But today another poll by Quinnipiac showed Specter leading Toomey by 20 points in a general election poll. Hmmm, what a difference a month makes.

Although it is too early to make any hard predictions on the outcome in the general I'd say Specter is feeling pretty good this morning.

In another development in PA it turns out that Republican party "moderates" (RINOs to the "base") are still trying to work on former Governor Tom Ridge to enter the R primary against Toomey. This could set off an inter-party fight and help Specter, who isn't out of the woods regarding primary challengers.

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 08:24 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,681 times
it was a good political decision.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:28 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Tom Ridge may just mop the floor with Arlen Specter if he gets the Republican nomination. Republicans will undoubtedly drop loads of money into Ridge's campaign, which will even the playing field in a fight against Specter. I'd love to see those two duke it out.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:49 AM

AeroguyDC reiterated my point about Ridge, and a Ridge primary run against Toomey would be interesting to see. But, it would really split the R party wouldn't it? IIRC Ridge is pro-choice and more centrist, Toomey is a hard right, club for growth, "base" guy. PA is a pretty expensive state to run a full out primary campaign, or any other campaign for that matter.

With the RNC, and what's left of the R senate caucus being more righty than centrist I don't see too much "leadership" strength getting behind Ridge.

The recent Quinnipiac poll did show Specter beating Ridge at present, about 46-43, but a lot of that spread, like McCain's post convention bounce is more "recency and frequency" of news mentions than solid support. I don't think Ridge has been on TV 24/7 during the last few months, like Specter has.

This should be a more interesting Senate battle than the typical "off-year" election usually produces. In fact almost all of the "competitive" states; KY, MO, KS, FL and a couple of others, should be great entertainment in 2010.

I can hardly wait.

golfgod

Old 05-04-2009, 08:54 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,942,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Tom Ridge may just mop the floor with Arlen Specter if he gets the Republican nomination. Republicans will undoubtedly drop loads of money into Ridge's campaign, which will even the playing field in a fight against Specter. I'd love to see those two duke it out.
This election may end up being tougher than Specter thought it would be. In his speech announcing the shift to the democrat party, he offhandedly mentioned that he would, on request, return funds to anyone who contributed to his campaign while he was still a RINO. I thhink he expected few if any would make the demand. Several contributors have stepped forward and demanded their money back, and others are calling for him to proactively return every penny he recieved (which is just under $2million in the first three months of '09.). I guess he can count on his new friends, President Obama and Speaker Pelosi, to make up the difference.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:40 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Tom Ridge will probably be his opponent - and they are neck and neck.

A lot of fodder Ridge will have, as well.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:33 PM

Sanrene wrote;
Quote:
Tom Ridge will probably be his opponent - and they are neck and neck.
Well, maybe. But as I wrote in my post above, how is the "centrist" wing of the party going to get the PRO CHOICE Ridge on the ticket? Are Toomey and the rest of the "base" going to roll over for that?

I think we're in for an interesting primary season. Get some popcorn, pull up a chair and prepare to be entertained!

golfgod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies