Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do our rights come from?
From God 21 48.84%
From government 5 11.63%
From ourselves 8 18.60%
Other (please specify) 9 20.93%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:51 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
With all due respect, the biggest mistake that you made was admitting to everyone that you're 18. I can no longer take any of your posts seriously. I'm just being honest.
No, on the contrary, people like you reach for that when you have nothing to argue. As if it means anything.

You probably believe rainbows are used to subconsciously influence kid's opinion of homosexuality too, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
What the hell does his age got to do with anything?

Young people are the future of this country regardless of if you like it or not. They are leaning toward being liberal, LOGICAL, and tolerance. Unlike you conservatives.

Age does not mean anything. Especially because he has reasoning and logic behind many of his posts!

Where doe he show disrespect for the Founding Fathers?

Once again, you lack reasoning and logic and pull things out of nowhere. Typical of CONservatives.
One can not be "tolerance", they can be tolerant, but as shown on a daily basis on cd liberal tolerance is America's greatest oxymoron. Why did you answer a post that was specific to another poster, anyway. He's a big boy. He can answer for himself.

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
The government giveth, the government can taketh away, no? Oh, and why do you have such hostility towards people that have beliefs opposite of yours. Classic bigotry.
LOL!

And you?

Telling another member you cannot take him seriously because of his age is also bigotry. Many young people these days are smart.

Also I am willing to bet that if he had been saying "GOD GAVE US THE RIGHTS! OMFG!" You wont take him much more seriously and even praise him.
Quote:
One can not be "tolerance", they can be tolerant, but as shown on a daily basis on cd liberal tolerance is America's greatest oxymoron. Why did you answer a post that was specific to another poster, anyway. He's a big boy. He can answer for himself.
Because I have the right to defend him if I want.

Liberal tolerance? Haha. At least they do tolerate. Look at you Conservatives. You dont accept anyone who does not believe in God, and people who are gay. Look at who is so tolerant now!

Old 05-06-2009, 10:53 AM

This is my op, can we please stay on topic? Thanks

Where do our rights come from?
Our forefathers said that our inalienable rights were "Endowed by our Creator", yet many, many posters claim to be atheists.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:53 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
With all due respect, the biggest mistake that you made was admitting to everyone that you're 18. I can no longer take any of your posts seriously. I'm just being honest.
So you get to decide if someones post should be taken seriously? Who gave you that power

As for the topic, we create a society in which we want to live and form laws and values that guide it toward conforming to our desires. It has nothing to do with "god given rights" or slavery and prejudgice would never have occurred.

I must admit, this appears to be another trolling attempt to make religion what politics are all about.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:54 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
Nice respect you have for our founding fathers. Oh, and you're only 18. You don't know your butt from your elbow, yet you think you can solve all of the worlds problems. Keep in mind, this isn't about you personally, this is about every 18 year old ever, as I was one once too.
Pulling the age card again. Thanks for making it apparent you have no points or nothing of substance to argue.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
LOL!

And you?

Telling another member you cannot take him seriously because of his age is also bigotry. Many young people these days are smart.

Also I am willing to bet that if he had been saying "GOD GAVE US THE RIGHTS! OMFG!" You wont take him much more seriously and even praise him.

Because I have the right to defend him if I want.

Liberal tolerance? Haha. At least they do tolerate. Look at you Conservatives. You dont accept anyone who does not believe in God, and people who are gay. Look at who is so tolerant now!
Any conservative that professes unconditional tolerance is not a true conservative. Unconditional tolerance leads to moral relativism, which, when played out to it's end, leads to anarchy. You sir, will never see me profess tolerance. Now, please, back on topic; which is the Constitution, our forefathers and where our rights come from. Thanks

Old 05-06-2009, 10:57 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
So you get to decide if someones post should be taken seriously? Who gave you that power

As for the topic, we create a society in which we want to live and form laws and values that guide it toward conforming to our desires. It has nothing to do with "god given rights" or slavery and prejudgice would never have occurred.

I must admit, this appears to be another trolling attempt to make religion what politics are all about.
And a lame attempt at that.

If we dared to tell Sonrise that we did not take her seriously because she believes in God, she would go haywire. I can see it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Pulling the age card again. Thanks for making it apparent you have no points or nothing of substance to argue.
Typical! They see you are young and think that you dont know anything. WRONG! Keep on being being the bright and awesome person you are!

Old 05-06-2009, 10:58 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post

Wrong. Slavery was "taking away of rights". The rights of humans being taken away by other humans. Humans (government) can not give basic rights, only take them away. Slaves had their God given rights taken away by other humans.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:59 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Why do our rights have to come from anywhere?

"Inalienable" is sometimes used as a synonym for "inherent". They cannot be taken away, they cannot be repudiated, they cannot be transferred. The rights our Founding Fathers discussed were part of the human condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies