Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 10:54 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,156,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
That is your idea of a comparison? Any other personal experiences that you'd like to share with other branches of government? Or just "most" postal workers.
^ Found the government worker.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:00 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,760,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicos Dad View Post
What do they have to be upset about? They have job stability as well as a taxpayer funded pension. The rest of us have to save for our own retirement and then pay for theirs as well. They should have smiles on their faces a mile wide. I went to FedEx and the Post Office this morning to ship items. The difference was between night and day. At Fed Ex the employees were very cordial and considerate. I go to the Post Office and they always seem mad at the world. Attitude deluxe. If I ever treated customers like that at my job Id be [MOD CUT/language] canned in a week.
No incentive, they make no product like the private sector does.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:04 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,686,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Some things can't be left up to the "private sector", especially when there is money involved.

Your steak probably won't kill you thanks to a government employee. Your plane probably won't be involved in a mid-air collision thanks to a government employee. That gallon of gas you put in your car probably is a full gallon, not some fraction of a gallon, thanks to a government employee. I could go on all day.

Yeah, I'm a retired Federal employee (engineer). Throughout my almost 30 year career, friends and acquaintances told me I was a huge sucker for working for Uncle Sam's lower pay. Jump to the private sector and make way more money, they said! I didn't and I'm glad. I've been retired for 14 years...and most of these guys, their pensions having been stolen by the suits in the boardroom, are still working. Now I'm a fat cat according to them...sucker to fat cat, how times change! LOL.

Hey, don't get mad at the guy with the pension, get mad at the guy that stole YOUR pension!

Old 08-19-2016, 01:23 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,896,951 times
Most are lazy? Most have a bad attitude? There are of course links to verify this conclusion I assume.
Now if the OP had said Many instead of most I would be in agreement.
Another poster compared fedex to the USPS. I like FedEX for fast delivery and tracking. I like USPS for convenience.
Other civil service... Hmmm public school teachers. They, depending where they work can be pampered and their Unions quite demanding. I think people regardless of who their employers are, tend to be the same.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:02 PM

1,050 posts, read 506,923 times
Quote:
What do they have to be upset about? They have job stability as well as a taxpayer funded pension. The rest of us have to save for our own retirement and then pay for theirs as well. They should have smiles on their faces a mile wide. I went to FedEx and the Post Office this morning to ship items. The difference was between night and day. At Fed Ex the employees were very cordial and considerate. I go to the Post Office and they always seem mad at the world. Attitude deluxe. If I ever treated customers like that at my job Id be [MOD CUT/language] canned in a week.
That a false right wing stereotype. I know first hand.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:12 PM

1,050 posts, read 506,923 times
Quote:
What do they have to be upset about? They have job stab....
Hey Dad, about this kind of post, ...
PedroMartinez says “Broad brushes tend to be used out of ignorance by lazy people with low IQs.”

Xray731 says you post such things for the “same reason lefties believe everything the left wing media tells” them.

Lifeexplorer says said by “someone that provide absolutely zero substance in a epic rant post, which can only be described as an evidence of being severely mentally unstable.”

Old 08-19-2016, 04:12 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,850,990 times
I worked in both the private and government sectors. I gave each customer or client my full attention in order to understand what the wanted or expected. I then did my best, including as an Environmental Inspector, why we were telling them to cease polluting the local river, to explain the situation. I never ignored anyone. I has to deal with many other people and was never ignored by a government employee, including the local DMV, in all these years.

One of the conservative myths is government employees are terrible because they have unions, job security and are immune, unless at the appointment level, to political extortion. Private sector managers are usually petty tyrants and apprentice Little Tin Gods because they can abuse their ability to fire anyone that annoys them.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:17 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,896,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I worked in both the private and government sectors. I gave each customer or client my full attention in order to understand what the wanted or expected. I then did my best, including as an Environmental Inspector, why we were telling them to cease polluting the local river, to explain the situation. I never ignored anyone. I has to deal with many other people and was never ignored by a government employee, including the local DMV, in all these years.

One of the conservative myths is government employees are terrible because they have unions, job security and are immune, unless at the appointment level, to political extortion. Private sector managers are usually petty tyrants and apprentice Little Tin Gods because they can abuse their ability to fire anyone that annoys them.
I also have worked both private sector and government sectors.
You have good and bad bosses in both. Unions do protect the non-productive equally. In my experience the private sector doesn't fire performers. It simply costs too much to train replacements. I currently work for a large company. You almost have to try to be fired.. No one manager has the power to terminate an employee. It always has to go through corporate legal first.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:45 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,742,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I'm a government worker and a non union one at that. We do make a product for sale to our customer base several in fact. And no Tax dollars go into them or into my pocket....

Old 08-19-2016, 05:46 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,605,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I also have worked both private sector and government sectors.
You have good and bad bosses in both. Unions do protect the non-productive equally. In my experience the private sector doesn't fire performers. It simply costs too much to train replacements. I currently work for a large company. You almost have to try to be fired.. No one manager has the power to terminate an employee. It always has to go through corporate legal first.
What private industry fires productive workers when they can get a less expensive replacement or to deny them a pension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies