Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:48 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,874,411 times

Advertisements

If you coul;d take the people and culture of Canada and the weather of florida I think you would be as close to heaven as we can get. Canada is a beautiful country but Id rather see photos of it in the winter...ok so I'm spoiled a little..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 06:49 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,884,322 times
I've only driven from Maine up through Quebec, and then spent a few days in Quebec. I found it beautiful, but back then (20 years ago), many of the people avoided us because we were speaking English. Fortunately my then boyfriend was fluent in French so that took care of the problem.

My DH works for a Canadian company based out of Toronto and has traveled there a couple of times in the past year. He loves it. Says the city is beautiful, and the people who work for his company are incredibly friendly. In fact, they actually will take people aside and speak to them if they feel they aren't friendly/pleasant enough. I've had contact with a few of the people there and agree that they couldn't be any friendlier and so pleasant to speak with.

Vancouver is on my "must see" list. Not sure when it will happen, but it will.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:41 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,224,313 times
I'm an American and have visited Canada three times--Vancouver area twice and Maritime Provinces once. On the whole I loved the country--especially Nova Scotia--and the people were great. Only problem I had was when I stopped to do laundry at a laundromat in Newfoundland and had a conversation with a guy also there doing his laundry. He had been playing his guitar and when he stopped I commented on how nice it was to have live entertainment while doing something as mundane as one's laundry. Conversation started off quite casually and as it went on, the guy became more and more agitated, louder, angrier and quite frankly I was getting a little scared. The few other patrons there were also unsettled. He finally left, to everyone's relief. I think he was high on some drugs, although this was not apparent at first.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:43 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,454,644 times
Thumbs up What do Americans think of Canada?

I've only been there in the summer. It was wonderful. I don't think I'll plan any January visits, though.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:46 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,849,935 times
I like the parts of canada I have been to. quebec city is really nice, and I loved montreal.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:51 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,484,963 times
I've been to Vancouver and Montreal. Both were nice.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:58 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,985,341 times

YouTube - Silly Canadians! (Featuring Jean-Pierre Lafitte)

Old 05-10-2009, 07:59 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,379,520 times
I live about 2-3 hours away from Canada & love it there. I can get Canadian talk radio where I live & always appreciate their perspective on world events. Broadly & stereotypically speaking, they are a little more tolerant and refined as a nation than we are, IMHO.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:19 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,788,885 times
Never been to Canada, but have two friends that are from Canada. Very friendly and humble dudes.

The main things they tell me (from their personal perspective) regarding the differences between Canada and the US deals with:
  • Materialistic attitude
  • Health care
They say Americans are too obsessed with judging on status (profession, how much money you make, what you drive, etc.) and that in Canada most don't give a rats butt as long as the other person is nice.

As for health care, I always hear how great health care was back home and how much it sucks here.

Now of course, they do always say good things about America too - and of course that the weather is so much better here, especially further south .

Old 05-10-2009, 08:52 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,060,384 times
Love their obsession with the greatest sport on earth. I appreciate some of their libertarian beliefs. But they have a clear inferiority complex when it comes to America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies