Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:26 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
low income apartments if the people pay it is very little and most are on assistance so we the taxpayers foot the bill.
Really, where's your evidence of this or is this more assuming and generalizing. Just because you're poor, it doesn't mean you're on assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 08:28 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,844,425 times
I had never seen a bimmer either, until tonight. I have seen welfare people in decent cars before, but never a BMW. this wasn't unemployment though. it was WIC and state welfare. also, public housing is based on income. problem, crime breeds in public housing, and stolen goods and drug money aren't taxed. you could have a billion dollars and be on welfare as long as you weren't earning any interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Funny, I once did some work for the Philadelphia Housing Authority which took me to every housing project in the city. I must have missed the BMW's. Now I will admit to the fact that there were quite a few "able bodied" males standing around, most if not all were juveniles whose parents lived in the projects but with high unemployment rates being what they are, I'm not all that surprised (by the way unemployment rates are based upon those actively looking for employment). I will also admit to the fact that many residency have very nicely furnished units, but as it has been pointed out, public housing is based upon income and many clients hold down one or two jobs which is factored in when it comes to the RENT that they pay for their units which is set at 30% of adjusted income.

Last edited by thefinalsay; 05-12-2009 at 08:48 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 08:29 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,950 times
No need to go any further..There's nothing here..Pubs have dreamed up a new purpose. BMW outrage at the grocery store. Have fun with that.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:31 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Really, where's your evidence of this or is this more assuming and generalizing. Just because you're poor, it doesn't mean you're on assistance.
Where is your evidence they are not on assistance!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:31 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
take care. go to a bad neighborhood once in your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
No need to go any further..There's nothing here..Pubs have dreamed up a new purpose. BMW outrage at the grocery store. Have fun with that.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:38 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
There is also section 8 vouchers for private housing

Old 05-12-2009, 08:42 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
I haven't read through the whole thread, but I will comment.

I have seen people several times abusing their Lone Star Cards (TX's version of food stamps). It's frustrating, to say the least. I've never paid attention to their cars, but I have noticed they buy tons of things like cigarettes, beer, lottery tickets, etc. along with their food. The food they actually buy usually ends up being all junk and they're all at least 20 pounds overweight.

It's pure insanity.

As far as public housing, they eliminated it in my city about 8 years ago. They moved all of them into different private apartment complexes (relatively upscale ones, I should add) that the city pays for. No problems in some of the complexes, but countless issues in others.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:45 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I had never seen a bimmer either, until tonight. I have seen welfare people in decent cars before, but never a BMW. this wasn't unemployment though. it was WIC and state welfare. also, public housing is based on income. problem, crime breeds in public housing, and stolen goods and drug money isn't taxed. you could have a billion dollars and be on welfare as long as you weren't earning any interest.
You know you can buy a great looking piece of juke (foreign or domestic) from any buy here pay here, no credit check, no job, car dealers in every city. I was recently looking at a super cheap Audi, until my mechanic got under the hood and found a bomb ready to go off (figuratively speaking).

As for crime breeding in public housing... that simply isn't my experience. Here in Philly despite the explosion in the murder rate, very little if any is taking place in public housing. Now I don't think that Philly is an exception to the rule, but I know for a fact that the PHA police are very aggressive about crime in general and drug dealing in particular. You get caught doing drugs, you lose your housing, period.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:47 PM

we've talked about this before. I just had to start this thread because of the extreme I saw tonight. I have never seen welfare people in a bimmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I haven't read through the whole thread, but I will comment.

I have seen people several times abusing their Lone Star Cards (TX's version of food stamps). It's frustrating, to say the least. I've never paid attention to their cars, but I have noticed they buy tons of things like cigarettes, beer, lottery tickets, etc. along with their food. The food they actually buy usually ends up being all junk and they're all at least 20 pounds overweight.

It's pure insanity.

As far as public housing, they eliminated it in my city about 8 years ago. They moved all of them into different private apartment complexes (relatively upscale ones, I should add) that the city pays for. No problems in some of the complexes, but countless issues in others.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:55 PM

yeah, I know all about that easy credit auto sales. I am from the DC area, home of the infamous eastern motors. big cities are probably very different than where I live now. public housing here is the breeding ground for crime.

YouTube - Eastern Motors Commercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You know you can buy a great looking piece of juke (foreign or domestic) from any buy here pay here, no credit check, no job, car dealers in every city. I was recently looking at a super cheap Audi, until my mechanic got under the hood and found a bomb ready to go off (figuratively speaking).

As for crime breeding in public housing... that simply isn't my experience. Here in Philly despite the explosion in the murder rate, very little if any is taking place in public housing. Now I don't think that Philly is an exception to the rule, but I know for a fact that the PHA police are very aggressive about crime in general and drug dealing in particular. You get caught doing drugs, you lose your housing, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies