Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:12 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Ok, I said slightly more this time. First it was a record turnout so more people voted this time then any before? Why?
I thought it was because I was out there registering voters!!!!

More people voted this year because it was an exciting race and people were talking about it. Also, the 2000 election was very close and many people who did not vote that year were determined to vote this time around. In addition, the extensive use of early voting attracted a lot of voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 11:12 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
And you've been talking about the failings of the electorate in a thread about Obama. I apologize if I wrongly pegged you as one of the anti-Obama squad (Obama can do no right!).
True, I am not in favor of the policies Obama has enacted and I do not agree with his politics. But I will commend him for doing things I see as right such as today when I believe it was announced Statistics will not be used to influence the census.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:14 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
it was exciting? why? it was two men and a woman who were living off public assistance (they didn't work and received tax payer money) for almost two years. IMO, mccain shouldn't have a job. obama and clinton have new jobs. I wish I could find a job cush enough that I didn't have to show up for 2 years, and I could get a raise and promotion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post

More people voted this year because it was an exciting race and people were talking about it. Also, the 2000 election was very close and many people who did not vote that year were determined to vote this time around. In addition, the extensive use of early voting attracted a lot of voters.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the efforts. If I was assigned to register voters I would be a jerk and ask them civics questions before I let them sign up.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I think every voter should have to pass a basic civics course and exam. How is that?
Who determines the questions? And what kind of questions would someone have to answer to deserve representation? Do they need to know the name of the governor, or maybe where the state capital is? Also, what would being able to pass a test prove--would knowing a name guarantee they would make a wise choice in picking a president?

People have tried to use tests to prevent people from voting in the past. The problem was, the testing procedures were easily rigged so one group or another was favored.

Many people believe a leader should be chosen for character alone. They believe being educated about the issues is pointless because politicians can change their positions. This seems like a legitimate point to me--don't these people deserve to vote for the person they think is the best choice?

And that brings up something else to think about... all Americans deserve representation, even the ones you think are not "educated" enough.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the efforts. If I was assigned to register voters I would be a jerk and ask them civics questions before I let them sign up.
Ask civics questions is a wonderful thing to do. I talked with all sorts of people. Refusing to give someone a registration form, however, is not allowed. Nor is it practical--that person can easily get a registration form somewhere else.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
it was exciting? why? it was two men and a woman who were living off public assistance (they didn't work and received tax payer money) for almost two years. IMO, mccain shouldn't have a job. obama and clinton have new jobs. I wish I could find a job cush enough that I didn't have to show up for 2 years, and I could get a raise and promotion.
For someone who didn't find the election interesting, you sure spent a lot of time on this forum talking about it.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:32 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
the mere fact that I do that should say more about how bored I am. the election was between two losers with identical platforms. it was no more exciting than any other election.

Quote:
For someone who didn't find the election interesting, you sure spent a lot of time on this forum talking about it.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Who determines the questions? And what kind of questions would someone have to answer to deserve representation? Do they need to know the name of the governor, or maybe where the state capital is? Also, what would being able to pass a test prove--would knowing a name guarantee they would make a wise choice in picking a president?

People have tried to use tests to prevent people from voting in the past. The problem was, the testing procedures were easily rigged so one group or another was favored.

Many people believe a leader should be chosen for character alone. They believe being educated about the issues is pointless because politicians can change their positions. This seems like a legitimate point to me--don't these people deserve to vote for the person they think is the best choice?

And that brings up something else to think about... all Americans deserve representation, even the ones you think are not "educated" enough.
Quote:
Ask civics questions is a wonderful thing to do. I talked with all sorts of people. Refusing to give someone a registration form, however, is not allowed. Nor is it practical--that person can easily get a registration form somewhere else.
Very True- Every American deserves representation. Some folks in Washington do not see it that way I believe.

well you know what this goes back to - The education system in America.
I actually learned some civics in a High School course. Maybe schools should emphasize it more. Who knows what we can do. Also it is boring to alot of people so that makes it more difficult. Well I guess I can only do what I can do.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:33 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,551 times
Quote:
You guys are just unbelievable... I'm pretty sure there are some people out there who have a better grasp of civics and government than you guys... maybe you should pass their test of what they consider basic.

Of course there are always uneducated voters... voters who voted for Obama because he was a Democrat or Black... voters who voted for McCain because he was a Republican or old or a veteran... I dare say that the population of voters is MUCH more educated than at any time in the US' history... every voter has much easier access, not only to the candidates, but to independent information.

Obama won because he had a better message, won all his debates, out-raised, out-spent and out-organized the competition... period. And this recent speech shows the genius of his communication abilities... that's all... there is plenty to argue with him about with respect to his actual performance... I was just struck by how calmly he defused that controversy. I look forward to the ND speech!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies