Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times

Advertisements

It's the Fed that cannot continue to buy Treasuries. So far the Fed has purchased almost $70 billion (as of 4/2009) worth of long/short term Treasuries. Each auction China and other foreign purchasers buy less and less and the Fed has to cover. It can't keep going on and it's gonna pop sooner rather than later.

MarketWatch.com Story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 08:05 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,186,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Really do not understand your purpose behind this thread? It's a no brainer, of course we cannot continue to borrow from China Bush pretty much tapped out our source, even grade school kids know that one. Obama clearly states so. So why do you have your boxers all bunched up?
haha.. there goes the "blame Bush for the deb" posting while ignoring the Obama debt which will be greater than ALL presidents, COMBINED..

Seems that you claim grade school kids know that, but its obvious that you dont.. where does that put you?

Old 05-14-2009, 08:07 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,719,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
That would be great, if we had a system of government that was able to take that action (actually, it wouldn't be great, but that's another topic).

Our federal government is severely limited, by very plain language, in regards to what it can and cannot do. Buying and running private companies and spending TRILLIONS of dollars it doesn't even have is not one of those things the federal government is allowed to do. But what the hell, the constitution is just the supreme law of the land, right?

F it, I'm just going to start ignoring those laws which I dislike or feel don't apply to me. I'll get back to you and let you know how that works out
The federal government has not bought nor does it run private companies. Several companies went to the feds begging for help.

Government is allowed to borrow money. Nothing in the Constitution denies that.

You might not agree with the tactics, but they're the same we use everytime the free market collapses from greed and ignorance.

You don't want government in your life? Then get humans to evolve past its adolescence. Until then, we need daddy to help us out.

Obama has committed himself to paying down the deficit before the end of his term. I accept that he had to over spend early on. I expect he will balance things out by the end. After all, his foreign policy is highly regarded by both the left and the right for its moderate centrism. I'm not sure why he would run domestic policy as anything other than a moderate once he fixes the disaster he inherited.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:09 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,719,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgibbs42 View Post
Obama isn't smart enough to recognize anything, GOSH get over it!!!!!!!!!!
Brilliant assessment. There are many charges one could level against President Obama. Not being smart would certainly not be one of them. Even his greatest detractors acknowledge his intelligence.

Then again, perhaps getting into both Columbia and Harvard on one's own merit, then being a professor at one of the best universities in the world before running what is widely regarded as the most effective political campaign in modern history does all seem to put him in the category of someone who doesn't read newspapers or know how to end a sentence.

Shazam! Oh no he di-n't!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:37 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,186,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Brilliant assessment. There are many charges one could level against President Obama. Not being smart would certainly not be one of them. Even his greatest detractors acknowledge his intelligence.

Then again, perhaps getting into both Columbia and Harvard on one's own merit, then being a professor at one of the best universities in the world before running what is widely regarded as the most effective political campaign in modern history does all seem to put him in the category of someone who doesn't read newspapers or know how to end a sentence.

Shazam! Oh no he di-n't!
He was not a professor, he was a Senior Lecturer, and running a campaign means your able to sell yourself, it doesnt mean your smart..

i'm not saying the mans dumb, I'm saying you cant use either one of these as an argument towards his "intelligence", besides, I've met some professors with tons of intelligence, no common sense

Old 05-14-2009, 09:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times
Quote:
The federal government has not bought nor does it run private companies. Several companies went to the feds begging for help.

You might not agree with the tactics, but they're the same we use everytime the free market collapses from greed and ignorance.

You don't want government in your life? Then get humans to evolve past its adolescence. Until then, we need daddy to help us out.

Obama has committed himself to paying down the deficit before the end of his term. I accept that he had to over spend early on. I expect he will balance things out by the end. After all, his foreign policy is highly regarded by both the left and the right for its moderate centrism. I'm not sure why he would run domestic policy as anything other than a moderate once he fixes the disaster he inherited.
Well the transscripts have bene rleased on the treasury and the banks on what was said in getting them the TARP funds. But we certainly know they are begging to repay the loans now. We also know since the loans and the Chrysler deal; no one wants to invest in the so called toxic asets plan with the governmant. Its just died off it seems.No one in busineess with teh feds is getting private capital especaily since the Chrysler deal. In the mean time the toxic assets just sit there with no plan of action;other than ideas and gaols.The congressional budget office does not agree that the deficitwill be paid down by Obama's fisrt terms but will extendout for years.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why he would run domestic policy as anything other than a moderate once he fixes the disaster he inherited.
Being in the Senate before he became President he was part of the mess he inherited. Recall that he voted FOR the bailout last year.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:05 PM

773 posts, read 1,216,249 times
“We can’t keep on just borrowing from China,” Obama said at a town-hall meeting in Rio Rancho, New Mexico, outside Albuquerque. “We have to pay interest on that debt, and that means we are mortgaging our children’s future with more and more debt.”

Translated from "politicianspeak".

“We can’t keep on just borrowing from China,” Obama said at a town-hall meeting in Rio Rancho, New Mexico, outside Albuquerque. “We have to pay interest on that debt, and that means we will encumber our children’s future with more and more taxes.

There fixed it!

Last edited by mcmastersteve; 05-14-2009 at 10:11 PM..

Old 05-15-2009, 05:19 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,931,188 times
Quote:

that is nonsense. he was part of the democratic congress that controlled the government before he ever got elected president, and he is following in bush's footsteps as far as allowing a democratic congress to control the spending agenda. you may need daddy to help you out, but most americans can take care of themselves as long as the government does not behave irresponsibly, which of course is exactly the reason why government is behaving irresponsibly. they receive no benefit when people get to live their own lives. the government needs money from the private sector to function and grow and they will get it anyway they can, instead of simply downsizing and cutting spending.

maybe big daddy government needs a daddy since they botched the GM bailout, chrysler bailout, and bank bailouts so badly!

i don't think any country is admiring the way that he is ramping up the war in afghanistan. we cannot solve the civil wars of other countries and yet we have not learned that lesson in history.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:50 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,381,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Well the transscripts have bene rleased on the treasury and the banks on what was said in getting them the TARP funds. But we certainly know they are begging to repay the loans now. We also know since the loans and the Chrysler deal; no one wants to invest in the so called toxic asets plan with the governmant. Its just died off it seems.No one in busineess with teh feds is getting private capital especaily since the Chrysler deal. In the mean time the toxic assets just sit there with no plan of action;other than ideas and gaols.The congressional budget office does not agree that the deficitwill be paid down by Obama's fisrt terms but will extendout for years.
Info is now confirmed that some banks were forced by the Feds to take the bailout money.
Can you imagine - owning a business, doing everything right to keep your business healthy, then the Feds force you to take money, then the Feds come in and tell you how to run your business.

Let's see - the banks, the auto industry.... hmmm, wonder who is next?

Quote:
Paulson wanted healthy institutions that did not necessarily need capital to participate in the program first, to remove any stigma that might be associated with a bailout. http://www.boston.com/business/artic...take_bailouts/
Documents: Paulson forced banks into bailout - Economy in Turmoil- msnbc.com
First nine banks were forced to take bailouts - The Boston Globe
plus several other sources on the internet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies