Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 06:31 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,616,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post

Seriously, where does this hate and anger thing come from?
Try listening to the Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity shows for a month...

You'll learn that these are two sources that are constantly stirring up anger and hatred against liberals in general, and Obama in particular...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 07:25 AM

24,396 posts, read 23,050,809 times
Watch Olbermann and Maddow and most of MSNBC and you'll see where the hate, anger and intolerance gets downloaded from. Read any book by Al Franken and you get hate speech and disinformation. Listen to Air America( if you can still find it) and you get the same poison.
On the right you have Hannity and Limbaugh and Coulter that do it. That its propagated by both sides is just obvious by now and anybody who's taken any time to even casually and objectively educate themselves knows it. Both sides just project and deny and fool only themselves. Its hypocrisy in action.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:32 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
Try listening to the Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity shows for a month...

You'll learn that these are two sources that are constantly stirring up anger and hatred against liberals in general, and Obama in particular...
A month? I can't get passed 5 minutes of Rush.....but that's another story.

I'm not so much interested in why some conservatives are consumed with anger and hatred for us (as you say, one only has to listen to the misinformation and rabble rousing coming from the likes of Rush and Sean) as much as why they think we are consumed with anger and hate for them.

I think I stated that last question poorly. What I want to know is where did the belief that we are all about hate and anger come from. I honestly could better understand if they were claim we give them no respect or have contempt for them. But neither of those require hate and anger.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:35 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,085 times
Quote:
I'm puzzled. I read the posts and I find myself constantly confronted with the claims from conservatives that liberals are angry and hate. No other emotions are attributed to liberals, only anger and hate.

As a liberal, I can assure you that I am not full of anger and hate. My range of emotions is far, far wider. Oh, I'm fully capable of anger and hate, but I feel very little of those emotions. I don't have strong emotions when the other side does what I expect them to do. I do have a strong emotion when my side doesn't do what I expect it to do. I may not like what the other side does, but anger and hatred aren't the emotions I feel. I tend toward resignation.

Let's take Ann. I don't hate Ann. The emotions I feel about or towards her are bemusment at what she says and confusion about why she's the darling of the Right. Sometimes I find her intellectually stimulating because I try to figure out the basis of her crazy allegations, but usually I don't pay attention to her. Do I hate her? No. But oddly, for some reason I hate Dick Morris. Don't ask me why. I just know that when I see him, I change the channel because I hate him. He repulses me. Go figure.

When I feel anger it's more likely directed towards the ball-less Democrats than the Republicans. I expect more from those on this side of the middle than I do from that side of the middle.

So I am puzzled when I read the accusations that liberals are nothing but hate and anger. At least twice I've responded to posts suggesting that the person read liberal posts as though the writer is speaking, not shouting. I truly wonder if that's the problem.

Seriously, where does this hate and anger thing come from?
I think they are more whiners but I'll go with hate and anger for now.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Interesting observation. Let's see what some of the left-leaning people here have to say...

Hmm. Now, let's take a look at some responses from some of the right-leaning people here...

I dunno... It looks to me like "conservatives" recognize that the crap is being flung by both sides, and that it's not ideology that determines who's doing the flinging, but personality. The "liberals", on the other hand, have - in this very thread - directly and repeatedly done exactly what the OP was complaining about. Just an observation of my own...
I think you exposed them for what they are.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Watch Olbermann and Maddow and most of MSNBC and you'll see where the hate, anger and intolerance gets downloaded from. Read any book by Al Franken and you get hate speech and disinformation. Listen to Air America( if you can still find it) and you get the same poison.
I watch Olbermann and Maddow almost daily. My news network of choice is MSNBC. I read Franken's books. I currently live in an area where I could never get AA but I spent months in an area I could; I watched Franken's AA show when it was televised on Sundance Channel. I do not see the emotions of hatred and anger often at all. Olberman goes into rants and sometimes appears angry. Everyone -- you, me, Keith, Rush -- gets angry at someone or something sometime or the other. Anger is a human emotion. But what I see on the shows you mention as well as on MSNBC's far more conservative Morning Joe is presentation of facts and opinions, rarely with strong emotions involved. Probably the most common emotion is conviction, conviction that one is correct in one's beliefs. Intolerance? I can't even address that because the Right has twisted the meaning of that word beyond my ability to comprehend what they mean.

As for Franken's books -- they are so heavily footnoted and referenced, it's ridiculous to claim they are filled with disinformation. In fact, his heavy referencing is why those who want to can find any mistakes he's made. And the "hate speech"....while he's no fan of Limbaugh, the "hate speech" is tongue-in-cheek. At least we acknowledge that our boy is a comedian, albeit a well informed and politically active one.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I watch Olbermann and Maddow almost daily. My news network of choice is MSNBC. I read Franken's books. I currently live in an area where I could never get AA but I spent months in an area I could; I watched Franken's AA show when it was televised on Sundance Channel. I do not see the emotions of hatred and anger often at all. Olberman goes into rants and sometimes appears angry. Everyone -- you, me, Keith, Rush -- gets angry at someone or something sometime or the other. Anger is a human emotion. But what I see on the shows you mention as well as on MSNBC's far more conservative Morning Joe is presentation of facts and opinions, rarely with strong emotions involved. Probably the most common emotion is conviction, conviction that one is correct in one's beliefs. Intolerance? I can't even address that because the Right has twisted the meaning of that word beyond my ability to comprehend what they mean.

As for Franken's books -- they are so heavily footnoted and referenced, it's ridiculous to claim they are filled with disinformation. In fact, his heavy referencing is why those who want to can find any mistakes he's made. And the "hate speech"....while he's no fan of Limbaugh, the "hate speech" is tongue-in-cheek. At least we acknowledge that our boy is a comedian, albeit a well informed and politically active one.
And all that with the partisan glasses firmly in place. I don't know you but I would say that if you really believe what you post that you are quite lost and one of the masses of sheep that have brought our country to the sad state it is/has been in for quite some time. Truly amazing what partisan sheep believe to be the facts.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I think you exposed them for what they are.
Interestingly I haven't heard anyone from the Right claim that s/he isn't filled with hate and anger as I have said I -- and the liberals I know -- are not. Whether or not both sides do it is totally irrelevant to my question which -- rephrasing it -- is "Why does the Right identify any and all negative emotions that the left might have as simply "anger and hate" when?"

If one of the conservatives believes liberals oversimplify and exaggerate their emotions and wonders why, start another thread.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
And all that with the partisan glasses firmly in place. I don't know you but I would say that if you really believe what you post that you are quite lost and one of the masses of sheep that have brought our country to the sad state it is/has been in for quite some time. Truly amazing what partisan sheep believe to be the facts.
Perhaps you should go back, read the originial post and remind yourself what this thread is about. My partisanship isn't the issue, the projection of inaccurate emotions onto me is.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Perhaps you should go back, read the originial post and remind yourself what this thread is about. My partisanship isn't the issue, the projection of inaccurate emotions onto me is.
Sorry but the truth is the truth. I am not a follower of either corrupt party. There are things in both parties I believe in but I refuse to vote along party lines especially when both parties no longer care about the voters.

BTW, maybe you should read your post which is the one I was referring to. The one about no hate coming from the far left cable programs. Try to keep up. Also, your partisanship is what led you to post in the first place so it is quite relevant. Duh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies