Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 11:17 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,223,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Ever heard of consumer perception? Consumers generally do not perceive small cars to be safe for freeways. Throw me some statistics about crashes if you like---I am talking about perception, and what the consumer actually wants (instead of what Unc Sam wants).
Like the consumer perception that SUVs are safe, in spite of the fact that they roll over frequently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 11:41 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,072,488 times
Quote:
Ever heard of consumer perception? Consumers generally do not perceive small cars to be safe for freeways. Throw me some statistics about crashes if you like---I am talking about perception, and what the consumer actually wants (instead of what Unc Sam wants).
That's why Uncle Sam has to step in and help you.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:49 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,847,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
That's why Uncle Sam has to step in and help you.
uncle sam always does a great job at that right?

Ford Pinto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-19-2009, 11:50 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,937,623 times
Oh my God. There are actually right wingers in this thread talking about how this is infringing on their civil liberties. Guys, this nonsense is going to far.

EVERYTHING from food, cars, buildings, airplanes have to pass standards before it can be sold on the market. Buildings have to pass the townships building codes, food has to pass the FDA's standards, and so on.

If you guys are really seriously trying to pass this on as a "Obama is a big government" nonsense, please for the love of God, get an education.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:55 AM

698 posts, read 1,510,766 times
Hopefully this will lead to the end of trophy housewives driving super sized SUV.

lyrics to a song i found online:

Good morning, America!
Are you anywhere near a parking lot?

VERSE
Let me warn you right now
You're in for a war
There's someone a waitin'
To take your parkin' spot
She's hell on wheels
She's the new big deal
She's America's true sweetheart

Oh, she's a...

CHORUS
90 pound suburban housewife
Drivin' in her SUV
Talkin' on her cell phone
Oblivious to you and me
Kids in the back seat watchin' the
little T.V.
She's a 90 pound suburban housewife
driving in her SUV.

VERSE
There I was a-drivin' down U.S. High-
way One
In my little Corolla
Enjoyin' the noon day sun
Then all of a sudden
I heard her engine roar
With rhino bars scarin' little cars
Goin' to the grocery stores.

Oh, she's a...

CHORUS
Drivin' in her SUV
Oblivious to you and me
little T.V.
She's a 90 pound suburban housewife
driving in her SUV.

VERSE
She may be your neighbor
She may be your wife
She may be your mother for the
rest of your life
But one thing's for certain, I think
you'll all agree
With tons of steel and 4 big wheels
She'll be drivin' like an S.O.B.

Oh, she's a...

CHORUS
Drivin' in her SUV
Oblivious to you and me
little T.V. She's a 90 pound suburban housewife
driving in her SUV.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:12 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,647,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
What a misguided and false statement. Most accidents are not with 18 wheelers, they are with other non commerical vehicles and as such what the comment should have been is most people want to be in a truck so that when the get into accident with a car, they live and the other people are the ones more likely to get seriously hurt.

Exactly!!! I've driven MANY different cars and each one takes a different skillset to maneuver. Going from a Del Sol to an Expedition is a HUGE difference, and many people havn't quite realized that you cannot drive an Expedition like a Del Sol and therein lies the problem.

People think they're safe in an SUV so they don't drive as cautiously as someone in a smaller car. I've had many people tell me that they aren't afraid of getting in a crash because they drive a huge vehicle. Heaven forbid you should.. I don't know... learn how to freakin drive a vehicle properly then you wouldn't HAVE to worry about whose bigger and badder.

Have you seen what it takes to get a license in other countries? Months, if not years of drivers courses, thousands of dollars and you're forced to take care of your car... no bumper stickers, no rust, no missing bumpers or broken exhaust. I believe in Denmark (I could be wrong) they have to show proficiency while driving a car in different situations, which includes learning how to powerslide, learning how to handle a car when it's 'out of control', etc etc, and here in America they don't even teach how to parallel park anymore.

Besides, the sexiest cars are small 'tin box' cars... Ferrari, Koenigsegg, Lotus, Lambourghini etc.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:14 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,057,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Smaller roads.
Smaller cars.
More trains.
More buses.
I like it.
THAT'S EFFICENCY! You can not speak in this language around the Government... Off with your Head!

Old 05-19-2009, 12:31 PM

68,335 posts, read 54,455,929 times
Quote:

As some of my favorite philosophers have said:

You can't always get what you want

But if you try some time

You might find

You get what you NEED

Old 05-19-2009, 12:31 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,793,258 times
Is President Obama making a good decision, requiring smaller, lighter cars to save oil, and accepting the increase in injuries and deaths that those smaller, lighter cars will produce?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:42 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,937,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Is President Obama making a good decision, requiring smaller, lighter cars to save oil, and accepting the increase in injuries and deaths that those smaller, lighter cars will produce?
can you please provide evidence that lighter cars produce more deaths. I always thought some of the cars that were the safest were also the most fuel efficient.

Most people can see right through what you are trying to do. Just ignore all logic so you can stilll take a swipe at the opponent. It is really just quite silly. Making up batsh()t crazy stuff like more people are going to die because we should do an update on the standards of cars is downright silly. These standards are updated throughout time, and is nothing big. This isn't Obama taking away your civil liberties. When I design buildings, I am forced to be restricted within energy codes (part of the building codes which change every 5 years). This is nothing new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies