Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 11:23 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,770,679 times

Advertisements

While I really don't understand all the brouhaha about this subject, it's still good news, whether you're a hunter, or not, don't you think? One more for the anti-gun community to fret about. I love it.

Quote:
Friday, May 22, 2009
On Wednesday, NRA-backed legislation to restore the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens in national parks and wildlife refuges passed in the U.S. House of Representatives by an overwhelming bipartisan majority of 279-147. Today, the measure was signed into law and, as specified in the legislation, will take effect in nine months, on February 22, 2010. This was a major repudiation of the gun control community's anti self-defense agenda.

The current Department of Interior (DOI) regulations were amended by the Bush Administration in 2008, allowing law-abiding citizens to defend themselves by carrying a concealed firearm in national parks and wildlife refuges.

However, early this year, a federal district court in Washington, D.C. granted anti-gun plaintiffs a preliminary injunction against implementation of the new rule. NRA has been working for the past several years in the regulatory, legal, and legislative arenas to achieve this policy change.
I'm sure a lot of folks fear being taken down by wild animals, for instance, and what better to have than a gun, you know, just in case. Those bears are fearless. That's why the signs are up, "Don't feed the bears!" Like some tree-hugger is going to pay attention to a sign, yeah, right.

NRA-ILA :: Bi-Partisan Congressional Majority Moves<br>to Restore Second Amendment in National Parks (http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=4901 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 07:20 PM

37,176 posts, read 19,255,826 times
It went through as a rider on the credit card bill. I doubt seriously if it could have passed as a standalone bill.

I just hope you don't get shot by a neophyte packing heat who mistakes you for a bear.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:24 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,321,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I just hope you don't get shot by a neophyte packing heat who mistakes you for a bear.
Alarmist rhetoric, about as much a chance of that happening as getting struck by lightning.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:39 PM

37,176 posts, read 19,255,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Alarmist rhetoric, about as much a chance of that happening as getting struck by lightning.
Every year you read several stories about hunters who are killed when someone mistakes them for deer or other game animals. I have a good friend in Charlotte who is blind in one eye because he made the mistake of wearing camouflage and sounding too good with his turkey call on a state game management area.

More people carrying firearms because they are afraid to be in the woods will lead to more incidents of firearms being used inappropriately.

When I visit places I haven't gone before I try to find out which areas are not suitable to visit and avoid them, but I don't feel a compulsion to carry a pistol and visit them anyway. If I was that worried about going to a national park or anywhere else I simply wouldn't go. It's called Common Sense, which unfortunately, isn't.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:03 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,635,536 times
When I visit places I haven't gone before I try to find out which areas are not suitable to visit and avoid them, but I don't feel a compulsion to carry a pistol and visit them anyway. If I was that worried about going to a national park or anywhere else I simply wouldn't go. It's called Common Sense, which unfortunately, isn't.

There is a name for your condition " It's called Victum"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies