Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 11:59 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,854,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"This is a costly burden, it is unnecessary and is something that past generations of (immigrant) Americans would see as a precious waste of resources," said Sen. Michael Nozzolio, a Republican representing the Finger Lakes area.
Bill would translate NYC ballots to Russian -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--russianvoters0519may19,0,6242274.story - broken link)

I wouldn't be surprised if it was done for Democratic Party political support and votes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 03:57 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,100,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
Bill would translate NYC ballots to Russian -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--russianvoters0519may19,0,6242274.story - broken link)

I wouldn't be surprised if it was done for Democratic Party political support and votes...
You have something about voter access to information and helping new citizens exercise their rights?

Old 05-21-2009, 07:29 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,652,818 times
I believe that in order to become a citizen of any country one should learn the language of that country and not expect the new country to cater to the needs of the immigrants.

If I moved to France I would learn French. If I moved to Brazil, I would learn Portuguese. If I moved to China I would learn Mandarin. And those countries would rightly expect me to. But for some reason, learning the langua franca of the US is considered optional.

In order to be a united country, we must have the commonality of language. Without it we splinter into subgroups, and start gathering in self imposed ghettos. Does this seem compassionate? Or does it fly in the face of common sense?

Old 05-21-2009, 07:31 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,484,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I believe that in order to become a citizen of any country one should learn the language of that country and not expect the new country to cater to the needs of the immigrants.

If I moved to France I would learn French. If I moved to Brazil, I would learn Portuguese. If I moved to China I would learn Mandarin. And those countries would rightly expect me to. But for some reason, learning the langua franca of the US is considered optional.

In order to be a united country, we must have the commonality of language. Without it we splinter into subgroups, and start gathering in self imposed ghettos. Does this seem compassionate? Or does it fly in the face of common sense?
Yes, yes, yes! Agree 100%.

The utter gaul of them to come here and demand that we change every detail of everything to accomodate them, regardless of hardship to us.

English should be established as a national official language and fluency should be required as a condition of citizenship.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:03 AM

143 posts, read 415,632 times
This is what happens when you make it easy to not assimilate.

News 8 Investigates: Airline mechanics who can't read English | News 8 Investigates | WFAA.com (http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/localnews/investigates/stories/wfaa090515-_lj_harris.7a4a7d4.html - broken link)

Old 05-21-2009, 11:20 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,658,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamman View Post

News 8 Investigates: Airline mechanics who can't read English | News 8 Investigates | WFAA.com (http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/localnews/investigates/stories/wfaa090515-_lj_harris.7a4a7d4.html - broken link)

Yes, that article is very, very scary. All of our mechanics are A&P certified and we're losing business to these shmucks that hire illegals to do the work. You get what you pay for and unfortunately the people who suffer are the customers who will inevitably be involved in fatal crashes due to negligence.

Regarding the OP, I went to the DMV here in California a few years back (I try do do everything by mail) and there are a ridiculous amount of options for languages regarding taking a driving test... you'd think that english would be a requirement considering ALL ROAD SIGNS ARE IN ENGLISH.

Bah.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:31 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,484,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yes, that article is very, very scary. All of our mechanics are A&P certified and we're losing business to these shmucks that hire illegals to do the work. You get what you pay for and unfortunately the people who suffer are the customers who will inevitably be involved in fatal crashes due to negligence.

Regarding the OP, I went to the DMV here in California a few years back (I try do do everything by mail) and there are a ridiculous amount of options for languages regarding taking a driving test... you'd think that english would be a requirement considering ALL ROAD SIGNS ARE IN ENGLISH.

Bah.
So....now we have prioritized PC over safety. I can't even begin to say how messed up that is.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 05-21-2009 at 01:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies