Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 03:51 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,429,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
For someone who don't care you sure have exhausted this thread.
Talking about the topic, not the Civil War. The trolls are interested in refighting the war, not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 03:53 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,038,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Whoa, do you need a history/civics class.

Did you ever hear of the Constitution of the United States, written in 1787, ratified in 1788, and after being adopted by the various states, went into effect in 1789.

This is the Preamble:

As for the rest of your post, I think I'll skip it.
1. Clearly you are a wealth of misinformation.
2. I see it's about the Civil War and I really don't care.

This country was NOT known as the United States prior to the 1860s. Look at any textbook or map published before that time, and most sources clearly refer to our country as 'America'. I believe it was Grant who signed the executive order to change the name, as a remembrance of the war and to signify reunification.

No need to attack me because you are getting your ass handed to you by other posters...

Old 05-25-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post

This country was NOT known as the United States prior to the 1860s. Look at any textbook or map published before that time, and most sources clearly refer to our country as 'America'. I believe it was Grant who signed the executive order to change the name, as a remembrance of the war and to signify reunification.
I don't need a second source. The Constitution is the definitive one. There is no arguing about it.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:12 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,072,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post

No need to attack me because you are getting your ass handed to you by other posters...
LOL The Declaration of Independence refers to the collection of 13 colonies as the "united States of America." Silly people.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:18 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,575,768 times
sorry but Confederate troops were traitors to the US.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:35 PM

Oh look, the first article of The Articles of Confederation, the first US constitution which was in effect from 1781 until the second Constitution:
Quote:
I.

The Stile of this Confederacy shall be
"The United States of America".

Old 05-25-2009, 06:04 PM

646 posts, read 802,289 times
In every war since the civil war southerners have been over 60% of the military force.South carolina has more veterans than any state in the union today.The same state that fired the first shots at Ft. sumter,ancestors are winning your wars today.I think it's only right they are given respect.The south is the backbone of this country,don;t believe it look it up.Me personally I could care less what a liberal from up north thinks we should do,I have bought more confedrate flags in my life than american,again I have no apologies.But before you go bad mouthing the south just remember who has lead the charge in every war to date since the civil war.God bless DIXIE

Old 05-25-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
In every war since the civil war southerners have been over 60% of the military force.South carolina has more veterans than any state in the union today.
And all those who served in the United States military should be honored.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:26 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,284,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
It's just become PC to include traitors who fought against the country. Benedict Arnold Day will be next.
I doubt in President McKinleys day they gave much thought to Political Correctness

Old 05-25-2009, 06:28 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,284,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
It was an economy based upon slave labor. Take away the slave labor and it collapses.

The South didn't have a snowballs chance in hell. Hard to win a war shooting cotton balls.
Northerners had slaves as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies