Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 11:12 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,970 times

Advertisements

I recently watched a TV show called Personal Justice; it was very interesting. In short, and apparently each episode reflects a different situation/case, it illustrates a "case" where either the system failed someone, the case was dropped, for whatever reason and the parties, i.e., victims and their families decided they would investigate and do whatever they had to do, legally of course, to bring an offender to justice. I was impressed.

This is NOT about vigilantes, it is not about Rambos, it is about the average, run of the mill person who recognized and was frustrated with the system, investigations and the like and opted to bring someone to justice.

Several months ago, I opened a thread about victim advocates and voiced my opinion about the frustrations of the inconsistencies with advocates, inconsistencies with the system and law enforcement agencies and unfortunately I got accused of either being a college student trying to short cut a paper or a possible offender trying to gather information. I was, I must admit, both shocked and disheartened to get that kind of response to my post, given that I am neither.

It taught me once again, the importance of .... "don't make judgements until you know all the facts" something I generally manage to incorporate in many of my postings.

So, at the risk of being moderately slammed and/or accused of being something that I am not....

I am a victim/survivor of violent crime; I am even more so, a victim of the system. "My story" is outrageous and one that I will not go into however, I was wondering if there are others who are victim/survivors and the system failed them, either in not bringing their offender to justice, or worse, the system not doing anything.

And, if there are others who continue to be frustrated and disappointed with the system yet want to be able to aid in some way to bring their offender to justice, what suggestions might you have to do so?

I watched, on 48 hours last night, the story of Mickey and Trudy Thompson:
Mickey and Trudy Thompson's Killer was Convicted January 4, 2007 - Hot Rod Magazine

It took 18 years to bring this case to trial and get a conviction. It was Mickey's sister Colleen who persevered and no doubt frustrated some law enforcement agencies because of her perserverance however, she accomplished her goals: to bring her brother's and his wife's murderer to Court and get justice for Mickey and Trudy. And, good for her.

I also remember, although short lived, Erin Brockovich had a TV program about final justice as well..she too had different cases on her show which reflected people dedicated to bringing people to Court and to justice.

The more and more I read of cases like this, the more and more I believe we have to do something, whether working in conjunction with law enforcement or when law enforcement is not doing their job, then perhaps we need to start the ball rolling.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone had to go through the frustration and disappointment of the system failing them? And, if so, what did you do about it?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 12:05 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post

What are your thoughts? Has anyone had to go through the frustration and disappointment of the system failing them? And, if so, what did you do about it?

Thanks.
The most likely responses you'll get, and probably already have gotten, is:

We may not be perfect, but we have the best justice system on earth, stay out of police work, let the pros do their job.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:33 PM

Hi and yes, you are right, and all things compared, we do have the best system however, it does not mean it is perfect by any means.

Sometimes, the police do not do their jobs; sometimes they do not take crimes as seriously as they should and sometimes politics gets in the way and that is unfortunate. If Mickey's sister for example, did not stay involved as she did, who know, perhaps he would have gotten away with murder, 18 years is a long time to wait for a conviction, no less a trial.

In her case, fortunately, she did have a few cops who were willing to listen to her. Not all do.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:24 PM

Has anyone had an experience with law enforcement offices/judiciary where things were not handled correctly or at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies