Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 11:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Well, the first thing about this story that really makes my blood boil is that I know how common this sort of bullying is in the public school system. The parents are wrong but even moreso are the teachers who did little or nothing to intervien. I think you may be jumping ahead with the sensitivity training since boys that age call everyone "f*g". I didn't see in the OP that the boy actually was gay and he was called other names.
Yes, I agree with you momonkey (!). I know boys that age use words they don't understand. I remember a friend's son called his mother a "s l u t". She was shocked, and then asked him if he knew what that meant. He admitted he did not. I think it's good to teach kids not to use derogatory words, regardless if they know the meaning of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 11:46 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,823 times
Is there any proof anywhere that the kid was actually gay? The grandfather said that he was also called a snitch. So, couldn't this thread just as easily been about an 11 year old boy committing suicide because of anti-snitching bullies?

Bottom line: all bullying is wrong, there's no such thing as extra wrong.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:47 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Is there any proof anywhere that the kid was actually gay? The grandfather said that he was also called a snitch. So, couldn't this thread just as easily been about an 11 year old boy committing suicide because of anti-snitching bullies?

100% agree! Too many folks are quick to jump on the gay bandwagon.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:49 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,087,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
I'm talking about sexuality, I have no clue why you are comparing these things to sexuality... no clue at all....
Because they are all behaviors that are detrimental to society.

Quote:
You WON'T have a choice. After all, us gay folks, we were for the vastly large part raised in the very nuclear families that most others were raised in.
I WON"T have a choice on what? Of course you exist because of the normal mating of male/female.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Sticks and stones will break my bones, names will never hurt me. That was well and good if the bullies only stuck to name calling. I was punched, kicked and choked at different times. .
I have not and will not defend a bully BUT bring adults sexual preferences into the picture and indoctrinating the children that belong to other people is wrong. Deal with the perpetrator. I do believe it is the liberal "think" that took discipline away from teachers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I'm afraid I have to disagree with this point while the fat kids may have a similar experience being ridiculed because of sexuality is rather serious.
Being ridiculed because of sexuality is no more serious then being ridiculed because you are fat or disabled (or you have red hair). Just ask any victim. In fact there is a concerted agenda against people who are overweight and it is in the news constantly. Who you are sexually attracted to should not raise you above others. Who you are sexually attracted to should not be part of the curriculum.

Too bad teachers cannot get back to reading writing and arithmetic instead of worrying if every child has been exposed to homosexuality, bi-sexuality, transsexuals and whatever “ality†is out there.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:52 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post

It is not a matter of making a case for extra wrong, it is getting at the root of the problem. The root of the problem is that in society, discrimation based on homosexuality is acceptable. It may not be in ans explicit, but it is still very much implicit. If you have gay friends, ask them about their experiences from childhood up and you will know, we have a problem. Look at the attitude of many posters in here regarding homosexuals and you will see we have a problem. It is not about jumping on the gay bandwagon, it is about understand the root cause of a problem, and doing what we can to mitigate it.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Being ridiculed because of sexuality is no more serious then being ridiculed because you are fat or disabled (or you have red hair). Just ask any victim. In fact there is a concerted agenda against people who are overweight and it is in the news constantly. Who you are sexually attracted to should not raise you above others. Who you are sexually attracted to should not be part of the curriculum.

Too bad teachers cannot get back to reading writing and arithmetic instead of worrying if every child has been exposed to homosexuality, bi-sexuality, transsexuals and whatever “ality†is out there.
Exactly. I was ridiculed for my looks and never felt accepted. Why is the suffering I faced any less than the suffering someone faces for ridicule about their sexual orientation? It's not like I had any choice in my appearance. Point is that bullying needs to be addressed without indoctrinating children about adult subjects such as sexual orientation.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Because they are all behaviors that are detrimental to society.

I WON"T have a choice on what? Of course you exist because of the normal mating of male/female.

Homosexuality is not detrimental to society. There is a general dispersal in any society that 4-7% are gay. This is not detrimental and is a part of the natural order of things.

What I meant by choice is regarding a child - you won't have a choice or not whether your child is gay. If he or she is however, with you views, they will not have an easy go at things. Not having your support will make their life alot less adjusted than it should be. They might even kill themself.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Exactly. I was ridiculed for my looks and never felt accepted. Why is the suffering I faced any less than the suffering someone faces for ridicule about their sexual orientation? It's not like I had any choice in my appearance. Point is that bullying needs to be addressed without indoctrinating children about adult subjects such as sexual orientation.
Well i'm sorry you're ugly, but you didn't kill yourself over it did you? I mean i'm not talking to a ghost am I? Gay youth kill themselves.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Well i'm sorry you're ugly, but you didn't kill yourself over it did you? I mean i'm not talking to a ghost am I? Gay youth kill themselves.
I never stated that I was "ugly" but some kids treated me as if I were not attractive. You have NO clue how devastating that is and how depressed I was. The only reason why I never killed myself was my strong faith in God which is what kept me through my turbulent teen years. At least with sexuality, you can hide it but facial appearances you cannot.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:04 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,823 times
Quote:
It is not a matter of making a case for extra wrong, it is getting at the root of the problem. The root of the problem is that in society, discrimation based on homosexuality is acceptable. It may not be in ans explicit, but it is still very much implicit. If you have gay friends, ask them about their experiences from childhood up and you will know, we have a problem. Look at the attitude of many posters in here regarding homosexuals and you will see we have a problem. It is not about jumping on the gay bandwagon, it is about understand the root cause of a problem, and doing what we can to mitigate it.
No, the root of the problem is that bullying is wrong. Period. Everything is "gay" to you; that's fine and it's your right, but the majority of us are not so single issued.

I was picked on ruthlessly in 8th and 9th grade; so bad that during gym I ran from the locker room to the field a few blocks away, because if I walked I would be surrounded by Mark and Wayne and Dennis and have my shirt pulled over my head, get spat upon in the face repeatedly and called a "gutless turd" because I didn't fight back. This happened routinely for a year and a half. One day I came home and decided that I couldn't take it anymore and "tried" to kill myself by putting my wrist through a window. I wasn't picked on because I was gay or thought to potentially be gay, I was picked on because bullies are mean. Ironically by my junior year in highschool, I went from totally geek to totally sheik and was hanging with the popular kids and the hot chicks were noticing me; the same ones that picked on me now embraced me, and I didn't care because I so desperately craved acceptance. Highschool is emotional hell for anyone regardless of sexual preference. Again all bullying is wrong, and there is no such thing as extra wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies