Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 07:08 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,009,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And if your underpaid and settle at being underpaid, your lazy without going out to find a better job, your lazy and lose any right to ***** about it..

Yeah, the economy is tough now, but its not always that way. If your not out looking for a better job, your just that.. lazy...

BS.. just becasue a job doesn't pull in a ton of money doesn't mean it's not hard work.

I guess you think nurses are lazy? Have you ever been a waiter or waitress?

the "lazy" argument is weak and BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 07:22 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I've said it over and over. If I made that much, it would suck.. but I'd suck it up because in the end,I'd still be better off, my country would be recovering.
You've said it over and over but have never had to prove it.

How many interviews do you see where the ordinary couple wins the $25,000,000 lottery and says they intend to keep their job "flipping burgers" or driving a fork lift?
Do you really think they did?
Not only that. You have the tendency to think every middle class/ lower middle class family is like yours.
Some of us always kept it in the back of our mind that there could be a downturn in the economy and allowed for it.
Even in Brooklyn and Queens, every middle class person there isn't having to decide between eating and paying the property taxes.
Maybe having to tighten the belt a little but nothing drastic

Others have asked how 'we' can stand up for the rich.
We also can be honest and remember choices we made throughout the years that put us in the economic range we're in.......opting for a more leisurely life than take that opportunity that would have meant working 80 hours a week.......the opportunity that had some risk if it hadn't worked out.......not pursuing a patent because of the upfront costs.

We recognize that those that worked those hours, took those risks, deserve what they got for the trade off and if we envy anything, it's not their money ...it's envy of their guts and ambition.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:14 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,731,801 times
Quote:
Oh no honey.. YOU get off it.. THat is just a ridiculous unsubstantiated statement meant to discredit hard working Americans who don't happen to make a ridiculous 6 figure salary.

So many are overpaid in this country while many are underpaid for the work they do. How hard you work , does not always equal how much money you make.

Your statement is loaded with BS. . you have NO PROOF whatsoever of that which you speak
I'm not discrediting anything. Most people are lazy.

I know plenty of people personally, who I've know most of my life, that are these 6 figure earning people that you envy so much. I grew up in that world. And guess what, ALL of them I know have probably busted there butt more in 10 years than most average people will in there whole lives.

That's what seperates most of these earners from the average wage workers who would rather lay around and wait for some else to fix there problems instead of getting of there butt and doing it themselves.

That's the truth.
If you're not making it, it's your own fault. Nobody elses.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:16 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Anyone who is taxed $13,000 a day makes so much money that really.. it makes no difference. He makes more than he could every possibly use in his entire lifetime and it keeps growing. I have very little sympathy. And that $13,000 is not guarantted to go to the poor if it wasn't collected for taxes

I just can't have much sympathy for that person. that is , of course, a lot of money. . but everything is relative.
It makes enough of a difference that he's willing to leave. The wealthy didn't get that way by not tracking where their money goes. That tends to be the people that find themselves without money. Essentially he asked himself the question that if someone would pay him $13,000 per day, would it be worth it for him to become a Florida resident? He's not wasting time asking for sympathy, he's just taking steps toward a better situation for himself and his family. Sympathy wouldn't help that.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:26 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
BS.. just becasue a job doesn't pull in a ton of money doesn't mean it's not hard work.
Not at all what I said, I said if they are not looking for a better job that pays more then lose the right to complain about their wages because they are to lazy to obtain better education or look for better work with better wages.
Quote:

If a nurse is satisfied at their job, and wage, then they have no right to complain, if they are not satisfied and do not go to school to become a doctor or something else that pays more, they are LAZY..

Have I ever been a waiter? No, I've never worked for someone else at, or below minimum wage, but thats because I wasnt lazy and took the easy way out. I know what my time is worth, the fact that others dont value their time isnt my concern.. I have worked for the last 6 years in my own company without a wage though, and at one point been homeless, so dont pretend I dont know what its like to be poor. Just because your poor doesnt mean your lazy and just because your rich, doesnt mean your not.. To settle for being poor though and not take the needed steps to get out of it = YOUR LAZY..

Last edited by pghquest; 05-21-2009 at 09:36 AM..

Old 05-21-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Not at all what I said, I said if they are not looking for a better job that pays more then lose the right to complain about their wages..

If a nurse is satisfied at their job, and wage, then they have no right to complain, if they are not satisfied and do not go to school to become a doctor or something else that pays more, they are LAZY..
I even object to the term lazy for lots of people.
I'd prefer to just say they don't have the ambition to do what it takes or, in many cases, they make a choice of less ouput for less input.
There's nothing wrong with making that choice as long as they recognize that it is a choice and resolve to be content with a lower standard of living than those awful greedy rich people
And many people are content with where they are. They get just about what they expect to get for what they do.
The world needs people like this....wouldn't work well to have all Chiefs and no Indians
The only problem comes when they think they should have more by doing nothing more for it.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:39 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:

I think he is talking about lazy, as in just taking what is given to you or what you feel is a sure thing if you stick with it, and lacking the motivation or initiative to find something better. some people stay in a job because they are afraid to try something new, or afraid of the uncertainty of changing jobs. I don't know if I would call it lazy, when a person would rather be safe then sorry.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:41 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I even object to the term lazy for lots of people.
I'd prefer to just say they don't have the ambition to do what it takes or,
less ambition = LAZY
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with making that choice as long as they recognize that it is a choice and resolve to be content with a lower standard of living than those awful greedy rich people
i.e. they are content with their choice at being LAZY and lose any right to complain about "awful greedy rich people"
Quote:
And many people are content with where they are.
And if they are content, they lose any right to complain about others who are not content..

Old 05-21-2009, 09:59 AM

I give pgh
Not worth arguing over the meaning of lazy or when it applies.
But there are people who are content with lower paying jobs and fewer hours but expend a lot of energy in volunteer work, hobbies, etc outside of their paying job and some that purposely give up higher earnings for jobs that, to them, have more meaning (i.e. public service)

Old 05-21-2009, 10:08 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
It hasn't been that long since I'd been in the city (worked, not lived). I've seen first hand what assets those that make that kind of money have. I was privvy to it when helping prepare their board packages when they purhcase their coops/condos in NYC. If you do not have assetts such as I mentioned you most likely will not be granted residence in many a building in NYC.

As for the bailouts.. yeah..your right who cares if they are not the norm. But who do you expect to pay for the bailouts..which, btw, has nothing to do with "social programs"... the middle class and the poor.. who are alrady stripped of any discretionary income?? How do you expect people to raise themselves and have hope for their children to get further ahead if you strip a families ability of ever being able to send their kids to college? The middle man's income has been shrinking for the last decade while the wealthiest income have been growing!

None of us is happy about the bailouts. But now the answer is to cut social programs which keep poor children fed and clothed and keep NYC streets as clean of bums as possible? why.. so that we can bailout the Corporate CEO's but then also cut their taxes.

How much is too much? It would be too much when a family needs to decide what bill they won't pay and will let lapse that month. If paying their tax obligation starts eating into their non descretionary spending.. then it's too much. In the meantime, if they have it, they should pay it and shut up. When the nation is done recovering frmo this debacle, things will go back to normal and perhaps they can have their tax breaks yet again. BTW.. taxes are not nearly as high as they were .. i believe 20 years ago, for the wealthy.

A person with a good income won't stop having a good income because they have to pay more taxes.. because they are STILL better off than the middle guy or the poor

I've said it over and over. If I made that much, it would suck.. but I'd suck it up because in the end,I'd still be better off, my country would be recovering.
Condos don't need board approval, that is one of the beauties of buying a condo. I agree coop buyers are generally wealthier because they have a higher hurdel to cross than a condo buyer or a renter. Also the vast majority of people across income lines rent in NYC. So I don't think board packages are representitive of what is going on out there. When I tell you I know how hard it is to live in the NY metropolitan with what would in most any other part of the country would be considered wealthy it comes from actually living here currently , now in 2009, actual experience.

Of course the bailouts have everything to do with social programs. Resources are finite. Money that would go to social programs is now going to the bailout. So in order to keep social programs going we are printing money. Hyper inflation is around the corner, the dollar is at risk of losing its triple A rating. If that happens watch out. The poor will be hammered.
Who said cut programs for kids or starve people. Is that all the government spends money on? You don't think we can cut a penny our of the monsterous $3.5 trillion budget?

You would be wrong about tax rates being higher in 1989, that was during the Regan administration and rates were lower.

It is doesn't matter who is better off taxes are to keep the governemnt going not to creat equality of outcome. I suspect you would have no problem witht the government collecting all our paychecks and doling the money back to us so there is no income inequality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies