Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 10:59 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,015,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
I'm not discrediting anything. Most people are lazy.

I know plenty of people personally, who I've know most of my life, that are these 6 figure earning people that you envy so much. I grew up in that world. And guess what, ALL of them I know have probably busted there butt more in 10 years than most average people will in there whole lives.

That's what seperates most of these earners from the average wage workers who would rather lay around and wait for some else to fix there problems instead of getting of there butt and doing it themselves.

That's the truth.
If you're not making it, it's your own fault. Nobody elses.

Your statement are still BS.. you cna't prove that most people are "lazy".. it's an opinion. NOT a fact.

I happen to know a lot of people who bust their hump quite hard, if not more than most but aren't 6 figure earners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Condos don't need board approval, that is one of the beauties of buying a condo. I agree coop buyers are generally wealthier because they have a higher hurdel to cross than a condo buyer or a renter. Also the vast majority of people across income lines rent in NYC. So I don't think board packages are representitive of what is going on out there. When I tell you I know how hard it is to live in the NY metropolitan with what would in most any other part of the country would be considered wealthy it comes from actually living here currently , now in 2009, actual experience.

Not true.. some condo's DO require review of a potential persons earnings etc. Those who buy condo's tend to have hidden cash resources or assets. BTW.. CONDOS are MORE expensive than Coops!

And those that are renting are quite often asked to show assets and resuorces in order to rent in NYC. Unless they are living in Greenwhich Village in a closet with a communal bathroom. Or a complete dump. Believe me.. 6 figure earners like we are refering to are NOT living in buildings in which no assets are required (rent or otherwise)
[/quote]

Quote:
Of course the bailouts have everything to do with social programs. Resources are finite. Money that would go to social programs is now going to the bailout. So in order to keep social programs going we are printing money. Hyper inflation is around the corner, the dollar is at risk of losing its triple A rating. If that happens watch out. The poor will be hammered.
Who said cut programs for kids or starve people. Is that all the government spends money on? You don't think we can cut a penny our of the monsterous $3.5 trillion budget?
I believe the bailouts shouldn't be occurring.. Because at the end everyone always wants to cut social programs. Sorry.. those CEO's could return their unearned ridiculous bonuses to their companies instead.. they don't deserve it because they tanked the company!! They should have never recieved the bailouts to begin with. My point being that if we didn't hand out those bailouts to the CORPORATIONS, we wouldn't be discussing the raising of taxes (atleast on a national level). This has never ocurred in history and is NOT a "normal" social program like WIC, Food stamps. etc.
What programs do you think we cut. Do you think we give out less food stamps or WIC to feed children? Do we cut elderly medicare or medicaid? Talk about a healthcare crisis if that occurs. What exactly in the "social programs" do you suggest be cut without dire consequences. Streamlined and trimmed, maybe.. but cut? NO... what.. so that hte CEO can keep collecting his ridiculous salary and his job be saved?

What it all comes down to is that now we have to pay for the Corporate bailouts. You're right.. the wealthy would rather cut programs that keep housing over peoples heads, food in poor childrens belly, education.. all those other things than god forbid pay more in taxes. Like I said, if I made the income we're talking about I wouldn't complain because I'd rather pay more in taxes (becaues we can't go back and take the money back that we already sent the Corporations) than hurt the social programs that so many need.

Quote:
You would be wrong about tax rates being higher in 1989, that was during the Regan administration and rates were lower.
Income tax in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1982-86 Top bracket was at 50% 87 - 33% , 2003 - 2009 35%

The tax rate at the top was 94% 1944-45 and was pretty high through the 60's.

I'm not saying that we should ever approach that type of level, nor am I saying it's acceptable.. but historically we are not high in comparison.

Quote:
It is doesn't matter who is better off taxes are to keep the governemnt going not to creat equality of outcome. I suspect you would have no problem witht the government collecting all our paychecks and doling the money back to us so there is no income inequality.
REally..taxes are keeping "equality" of outcome AS if a family on welfare or medicaid is really living equal to someone in the top tax brackets LOL.. that's a laugh... or even recieving the same level of medical care, or the same level of living quaters. They shouldn't be.. you're right. .and they are not.. not by a long shot.

No one is saying that taxes are meant to make everything "equal". . however, it benefits EVERYONE in our nation as a society when we keep the poorest of our populations from living on the streets, doing their business in the gutters.. and dying of hunger on the streets. We shouldn't allow our elderly to waste away because they are on fixed incomes and can't afford our high priced medical care in this country. It's why we have social programs. .. not to "level" the playing field.. NOT BY A LONG SHOT! We also have programs to help people lift themselves OUT of the situations they are in. Some do not and do take advantage.. but for the most part there are people who do truly need it.. that for one reason or another do not have the capacity to get themselves out of the situation. But they are STILL human beings. There is NO THREAT to the wealthy that they will EVER be "equal" or living equally as someone in a higher tax bracket.

Bottom line.. our country is in hard times right now.. and so sacrafices are going to have to be made ALL AROUND. Those that have more to sacrafice are going to have to sacrafice more than someone who has nothing left to sacrafice. EVERYONE is hurting on EVERY level.. but I guarantee you those with the higher tax brackets are hurting FAR LESS than someone that has NOTHING or next to it.. or the middle class family with very little disposable income... nor many resources available to them to make their income grow.

Social programs NEED to be fixed so that they don't bleed money wastefully..but certainly not cut.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:34 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,151,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
But there are people who are content with lower paying jobs and fewer hours but expend a lot of energy in volunteer work, hobbies, etc outside of their paying job and some that purposely give up higher earnings for jobs that, to them, have more meaning (i.e. public service)
And those individuals have NO right to complain about their wages when they CHOOSE to forgo time that could be used to make more, or for training to obtain a better job..

Old 05-21-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Social programs NEED to be fixed so that they don't bleed money wastefully..but certainly not cut.
Wrong, they need to be cut to the bare bones. Social programs are safety nets, they should not be turned into an adaquate lifestyle..

Old 05-21-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And those individuals have NO right to complain about their wages when they CHOOSE to forgo time that could be used to make more, or for training to obtain a better job..

Like it's that easy for everybody.. for christ sakes.. if it was possible for EVERYONE to do it EVERYONE would..

newsflash.. you need people to DO the jobs that you consider as "menial".. Being a DR is not for everyone, not everyone is built with that kind of ability. Neither isbeing a lawyer, or a CEO or some other paying job. We all work at what we are BEST at, good at and we enjoy.

Here's another newsflash.. life isn't only about how much money you make. Going through life with wealth, but not enjoying what you do every day while living is NOT living.

And another thing. We're not complaining!! I'm not complaining. I happen to be very happy in my life.. But when I hear rich people whining about their taxes and boo hoo hoo'g when they have so much more it just irks the hell out of me. When they then turn around and call the rest of us lazy and think they are better than us and DESERVE better because of what they do.. or becaues they happened to have gotten lucky.. it really pisses me off.

Money does NOT determine someone's worth. .. NOR does it make anyone more important than the rest. The fact that they think it does is irritating.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Like it's that easy for everybody.. for christ sakes.. if it was possible for EVERYONE to do it EVERYONE would..

newsflash.. you need people to DO the jobs that you consider as "menial".. Being a DR is not for everyone, not everyone is built with that kind of ability. Neither isbeing a lawyer, or a CEO or some other paying job. We all work at what we are BEST at, good at and we enjoy.

Here's another newsflash.. life isn't only about how much money you make. Going through life with wealth, but not enjoying what you do every day while living is NOT living.

And another thing. We're not complaining!! I'm not complaining. I happen to be very happy in my life.. But when I hear rich people whining about their taxes and boo hoo hoo'g when they have so much more it just irks the hell out of me. When they then turn around and call the rest of us lazy and think they are better than us and DESERVE better because of what they do.. or becaues they happened to have gotten lucky.. it really pisses me off.

Money does NOT determine someone's worth. .. NOR does it make anyone more important than the rest. The fact that they think it does is irritating.
I dont care how easy or how tough it is to "live and survive".. We all have to do it, its life, get over it.. If someone dont want to do what it takes to live above poverty.. that just sucks but I have no right to complain about their subpar livelyhood and their acceptance of their condition, until I'm asked to subsidize it..

If life isnt about how much money you make, then stop complaining about the standards that those who choose to not make money have to live in.

for the record, my salary last year was $1, and I paid $0 taxes.. I'm not complaining, nor am I rich.. I will be able to retire though very comfortably though one day and then pay tons of taxes.. I choose to live on $1 a year, but making that choose means I can not complain about my wages..

Old 05-21-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Wrong, they need to be cut to the bare bones. Social programs are safety nets, they should not be turned into an adaquate lifestyle..

They are NOT adequate lifestyle. You're going to let a few bad apples spoil the bunch. What then.. you take it away and then what do you have.. a complete mess.. again.. people hungry, children neglected, starving on the streets, people homeless.

Not all t hose collecting welfare don't work. Some just cant' get jobs that pay beyond minimum wage.. which is NOT a liveable wage. Guess what.. you NEED these people too to do the jobs that you feel are "beneath" you.

In most cases welfare is a supplement to a non liveable wage!

Old 05-21-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I dont care how easy or how tough it is to "live and survive".. We all have to do it, its life, get over it.. If someone dont want to do what it takes to live above poverty.. that just sucks but I have no right to complain about their subpar livelyhood and their acceptance of their condition, until I'm asked to subsidize it..

If life isnt about how much money you make, then stop complaining about the standards that those who choose to not make money have to live in.

for the record, my salary last year was $1, and I paid $0 taxes.. I'm not complaining, nor am I rich.. I will be able to retire though very comfortably though one day and then pay tons of taxes.. I choose to live on $1 a year, but making that choose means I can not complain about my wages..
Judge not lest ye be judged.

And.. when you fail to empathize, sympathize or see something you may just come back in the next lifetime to walk in their shoes....

Remember that expression.. KARMA is a *****. It might not get you in this lifetime, but it sure as heck can in the next.

People are all born differently.. different intellects, different intelligent levels.. different abilities. Simply wanting something does not actually give you the ability to do it and achieve it.. to think so is quite ridiculous.. Unless it is your belief that we could all be Doctors and it's just a matter of applying ourselves?? THAT Is completely ridiculous rubbish!!

Old 05-21-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
They are NOT adequate lifestyle. You're going to let a few bad apples spoil the bunch. What then.. you take it away and then what do you have.. a complete mess.. again.. people hungry, children neglected, starving on the streets, people homeless.

Not all t hose collecting welfare don't work. Some just cant' get jobs that pay beyond minimum wage.. which is NOT a liveable wage. Guess what.. you NEED these people too to do the jobs that you feel are "beneath" you.

In most cases welfare is a supplement to a non liveable wage!
Welfare, and support networks are for EMERGENCY needs ONLY. You lose my support when it turns into a way of life. And dont dare bring the "children neglected, starving on the streets" bs because we still have that, the homeless numbers have not decreased as the social programs gone up, and povery in america still exist after spending tens of trillions on getting rid of it..

Old 05-21-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Judge not lest ye be judged.

And.. when you fail to empathize, sympathize or see something you may just come back in the next lifetime to walk in their shoes....

Remember that expression.. KARMA is a *****. It might not get you in this lifetime, but it sure as heck can in the next.
I HAVE walked in their shoes, did you miss the part about me being homeless at one point (about 14 years ago)? Dont talk what you dont know about because the best thing that has ever happened to me was that I was made to pick myself up off my a$$ and get to work to cure the situation I was in.

I will never turn back to being "lazy" and "ilresponsible" almost to a fault. I spend 60+ hours working, I brought in more net income last week than many do in a year, and I've also lost that amount in a day, I also have no social security to rely on as a "safety net" and one day when I move that net income from my business to personal life, It'll be taxed out the butt to support social programs for individuals who choose to be lazy. Not my fault people make wrong choices in their life, and if they arent made to learn from their mistakes, they are doomed to repeat them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies