Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:21 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
No doubt one of the talking points will be that 60% of Sotomayor's rulings have been overturned by the Supreme Court.

Doesn't sound like a particularly good record if you ask me. The GOP should attack that kind of record with fervor.
Just heard that Alito's reversal rate was 100% for the times his opinions were review by the Supreme Court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 07:23 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
I find it scary that any _______American becomes an officer in an American country. I would prefer someone who is loyal to our country and stands to keep it strong. Anyone who puts anything in front of the word American is not a loyal American. They are still holding on to the country they left. There are rules about that for the presidency. Anyone who has divided loyalties should be impeached. We certainly do not need someone like that on the supreme court.

Our constitution has been stomped on enough already. Congressional representatives did not do their jobs and our country is suffering for it.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Why are you questioning Ms. Sotomayor's loyalty, NCN? She was born in New York. Her parents were born in Puerto Rico. Puerto Ricans are US citizens. Her mother was in the Women's Army Corps in WWII.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonia_Sotomayor

Old 05-27-2009, 07:50 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why are you questioning Ms. Sotomayor's loyalty, NCN? She was born in New York. Her parents were born in Puerto Rico. Puerto Ricans are US citizens. Her mother was in the Women's Army Corps in WWII.

Sonia Sotomayor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That would be because "she's not like us"

Old 05-27-2009, 07:53 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Sonia Sotomayor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you will read my first post, you will see that I think Obama has no plans for her to be on the supreme court and is just playing games. I don't know her. I was replying to the __________American statement. That is a real pet peeve of mine. If you are an American, then be one and stop mentioning all those other countries. We should all be united as Americans and stop all this racist talk. Race should not be mentioned when deciding who will be on the supreme court. The only thing that matters is whether the person can make decisions according to our constitution and the news I am hearing is that she prefers to us her bench to make policy rather than rule on the constitution that is already there. I am tired of court abuses of our constitution and there is a lot of that happening since the 1960's.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:55 PM

471 posts, read 587,252 times
How is it a BAD idea, for a mildly disorganized republican party, to make sure that every one has the FACTS about a person that is being appointed to the supreme court? In what other situation do people not try and get on the same page? Sports teams, businesses, military???.....nope they do it too. This is just good strategy. I take it as a good sign for the GOP. They are making sure everyone has their S*it together.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:00 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
How is it a BAD idea, for a mildly disorganized republican party, to make sure that every one has the FACTS about a person that is being appointed to the supreme court? In what other situation do people not try and get on the same page? Sports teams, businesses, military???.....nope they do it too. This is just good strategy. I take it as a good sign for the GOP. They are making sure everyone has their S*it together.
I would agree with you on that point...everyone talking about the same thing shows a united front.

I heard Bey Buchannon on the radio this morning talking about what the base shoud do. She made reference to Sotomeyer's action on the New Haven firefighter case and eluded to having the firefighters be the face of this fight.

That would be a mistake...it would be Joe the plumber all over again.

Discussing her actions of that case is one thing, trying to put a face to it and enciting a "us against them" attitude is wrong and will continue the image that the GOP seems is trying to shake.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If you will read my first post, you will see that I think Obama has no plans for her to be on the supreme court and is just playing games. I don't know her. I was replying to the __________American statement. That is a real pet peeve of mine. If you are an American, then be one and stop mentioning all those other countries. We should all be united as Americans and stop all this racist talk. Race should not be mentioned when deciding who will be on the supreme court. The only thing that matters is whether the person can make decisions according to our constitution and the news I am hearing is that she prefers to us her bench to make policy rather than rule on the constitution that is already there. I am tired of court abuses of our constitution and there is a lot of that happening since the 1960's.
I don't think I've heard her say she's a Puerto-Rican American, or even a Hispanic American. She has said she is a Latina. That's like me saying I'm German.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:06 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
Quote:
The reliance by the Republican Common Tators on their talking points is a joke. You get a rightwinger on a news show, they all say the same thing ad nauseum. Not the same ideas, the very same words. Then they wonder why we take hits on them for not being able to think for themselves.

But then we've had Republican talking points for years. Dems have them too but they rely less on the buzz word style and try to discuss the same ideas without using the same words ....most of the time.

That said, the problem isn't the talking points themselves, but the fact that they were inadvertantly sent to a lot of reporters who weren't suppose to ge them. But then, I guess it really isn't that big a deal. All you have to do is put on two news talk shows to figure out their talking points on any topic. Everyone parrots the same line.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
They're also making sure that everyone hammers home what they think are the salient points against her. I know everyone does it. We do it at my office (pediatrics). I just think it's funny it got leaked. Now the Dems know what they have to refute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies