Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:27 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,346,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I agree with a national sales tax. just as long as they scrap the income tax and all other taxes. don't punish people for investing, tax the ones who buy too much.
Not Cheetos though, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 12:30 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,724,609 times
I wish people who start threads of this nature would have the maturity to present an issue without calling others childish names. It's very immature.

Anyway, this tax idea has nothing to do with Obama.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:52 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,302,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
A national sales tax, like a flat tax, is a regressive tax. It would impact those folks who have the least discretionary income the hardest.

Is that wise tax policy? Neither the right nor the left seems to think so.
If the poor folks become middle class they will be less dependent on the government and less likely to vote democratic. The democrats want to help the poor but only to a point. Democrates want to help the poor to get votes but they want them, nay need them, to remain dependent on the government.

The poor will SEE the government check coming in the mail but they will NOT see the value added tax as it will be imbedded in the price. They won't know what's going on.

Its also in the best interests of Democrats that more middle class folks become dependent on the government. Again I point to a value added tax as well as taxes on earnings from investments as well as national health insurance. Etc., etc.

- Reel

Old 05-28-2009, 05:51 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,471,895 times
Quote:
I agree with a national sales tax. just as long as they scrap the income tax and all other taxes. don't punish people for investing, tax the ones who buy too much.
I agree, the FairTax would go a long way to solving a lot of problems in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"some Washington policymakers are taking a look"?

sales tax might be the fairest way, though.
It is the fairest way if done right ie. the FairTax, but they would also have to do away with the income tax. I don't see this administration doing away with any tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"'Most lawmakers are still looking for 'a painless source of revenue' to overhaul the health-care system and dig the nation out of debt, Burman said. 'Who knows?' he added. 'Maybe the tooth fairy will bring that to them.'"
There is no way we are going to be able to pay for gubmint health care let alone a "painless" way. At least not without rationing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I wish people who start threads of this nature would have the maturity to present an issue without calling others childish names. It's very immature.

Anyway, this tax idea has nothing to do with Obama.
Barry is the one who is spending us into this. We have borrowed our future and the future of the next two generations and now they have figured out that we have reached our credit limit, they don't stop spending, they go looking for new and exciting ways to raise everyone's taxes. And he is doing that with the support of his ignorant robotic supporters.

Don't like the name bomabot? It fits, live with it, the left have been name calling for years, now all of a sudden you get thin skin?

Old 05-28-2009, 06:00 AM

37,282 posts, read 19,276,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post

Barry is the one who is spending us into this. We have borrowed our future and the future of the next two generations and now they have figured out that we have reached our credit limit, they don't stop spending, they go looking for new and exciting ways to raise everyone's taxes. And he is doing that with the support of his ignorant robotic supporters.
Two generations worth of money and then some was spent between 2000-2008. There was more deficit spending in those years than in the previous 224 years.

Obama didn't create the deficit spending, he is continuing it.

If you don't agree with him, fine, but let's be accurate, OK?

Old 05-28-2009, 06:58 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,471,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Two generations worth of money and then some was spent between 2000-2008. There was more deficit spending in those years than in the previous 224 years.

Obama didn't create the deficit spending, he is continuing it.

If you don't agree with him, fine, but let's be accurate, OK?

Yep, our gubmint was over spending before Barry and I was against it then too. I wrote and made calls then just as I do now. But as long as we want to be honest, the left was outraged over the spending during Bush but all of a sudden don't mind it with Barry even though he has already spent more than Bush did.

Gubmint spending is out of control and I'm against it no matter what the letter is after the name.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:51 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,548,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
If the poor folks become middle class they will be less dependent on the government and less likely to vote democratic. The democrats want to help the poor but only to a point. Democrates want to help the poor to get votes but they want them, nay need them, to remain dependent on the government.

The poor will SEE the government check coming in the mail but they will NOT see the value added tax as it will be imbedded in the price. They won't know what's going on.

Its also in the best interests of Democrats that more middle class folks become dependent on the government. Again I point to a value added tax as well as taxes on earnings from investments as well as national health insurance. Etc., etc.

- Reel

Has anyone ever thought that those conservatives that live in the "red states where cost of living as well as salary is low, states like Kentucky, Minnesota and Texas just for example and who are struggling are now also receiving those very same checks and government incentives that your referencing. The hypocrisy is truly amazing during these political discussions.

These very same people that are most vocal of this President as well as Bush for their spending are very likely benefiting from All of the government programs and incentives before a "Democrat" who makes more than the $75K maximum income to be eligible for these very same government incentives (home, education and soon medical benefits). The self-rightous indignation is truely amazing.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,946,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Ah! So the reason Libs are not talking about it is because the Libs are not proposing the tax at all....LOL

So why on earth would they talk about it in the first place????

What a great thread!
Obama is not proposing it, or supporting it, from the way it sounds in the link posted. A lot of us "libs" are talking about it, in case you haven't noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Has anyone ever thought that those conservatives that live in the "red states where cost of living as well as salary is low, states like Kentucky, Minnesota and Texas just for example and who are struggling are now also receiving those very same checks and government incentives that your referencing. The hypocrisy is truly amazing during these political discussions.

These very same people that are most vocal of this President as well as Bush for their spending are very likely benefiting from All of the government programs and incentives before a "Democrat" who makes more than the $75K maximum income to be eligible for these very same government incentives (home, education and soon medical benefits). The self-rightous indignation is truely amazing.
Minnesota is not a "red" state, nor is the COL low there.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:26 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,299,451 times
Quote:
Isn't that pretty much what Ron Paul was proposing, i.e. the fair tax? I can't say that I agree with it, but then again, I'm certainly no expert.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,946,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
Yep, our gubmint was over spending before Barry and I was against it then too. I wrote and made calls then just as I do now. But as long as we want to be honest, the left was outraged over the spending during Bush but all of a sudden don't mind it with Barry even though he has already spent more than Bush did.

Gubmint spending is out of control and I'm against it no matter what the letter is after the name.
You need to learn how to spell "government". It would make your points a little more credible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies