Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 12:24 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

I expect he will make mistakes. He wasn't elected because he was "perfect in every way", he was just better than McCain/Palin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 12:29 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorasbox View Post
If you voted for Obama, and he screwed things up worst, would you admit that he is wrong or would you still blame it on Bush? Not being scarcastic just want to know. WHAT WOULD HE HAVE TO DO, for him to be doing the wrong thing.
Well I didn't vote for him, and I think he is messing things up big time. Bush didn't help, but he is going to do more damage in a shorter time than anyone can blame Bush for, and maybe already has.

Obama will be a one term wonder and will make Carter look like a saint. It will be about a year or so and the inflation will start to kick in for all the printing of money that we don't have. I figure than when Obama gets kicked out of Office, we will be hitting about 20% inflation or worse IMHO...

Old 05-30-2009, 12:30 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorasbox View Post
If you voted for Obama, and he screwed things up worst, would you admit that he is wrong or would you still blame it on Bush? Not being scarcastic just want to know. WHAT WOULD HE HAVE TO DO, for him to be doing the wrong thing.
I would not admit he was wrong I would just say he was wrong. Besides he would have to have messed up really bad before I would go anywhere near considering my voting for him against McCain/Palin to be a mistake.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:49 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,904,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
we will be hitting about 20% inflation or worse IMHO...
Do you base this on anything?
What I mean is.. is it public knowledge how much has been printed?
Is this an educated guess (based on formulas to calculate inflation)?

Or just a guess?

Old 05-30-2009, 05:27 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Hyperinflation talk is a lot of right-wing hot air put forward by people who do not understand (among other things) the implications of about $15 trillion worth of wealth having simply vanished into thin air through declines in the financial and housing markets. The people who whine about projections of $9 trillion being added to the debt over ten years don't apparently notice that those same projections do not show inflation rising above 2% per year at any time during that decade.

In elementary terms, inflation comes about when increases in the money supply have nowhere else to go but into price increases. That is, there must be relatively low unemployment and relatively high capacity utilization. Today, the situation is exactly the reverse. As the result, there is a great deal of room for expansionary monetary and fiscal policy to be absorbed into the economy as simple increases in aggregate demand, demand that will tend to reduce unemployment and expand capacity utilization while having very little residual inflationary effect at all.

There is always of course the chance that external shocks relating to the supply of price-inelastic goods will occur. Widespread crop failures or emerging conflicts that significantly undercut global energy production would have unavoidable inflationary effects, but I don't see plans for promoting either one of those anywhere in Obama's agenda. The things I do see in Obama's agenda do not presently have the potential to promote any sort of significant inflation, and they will not until such time as GDP growth rates consistently approach or exceed something like 5%. It will likely be a while yet before that concern can actually arise, and when it does, it will come as a welcome relief from the far worse concerns that we confront at the present time.

As for actual mistakes, everyone makes them, particularly once the valuable tool of hindsight is available for use in rendering judgment. It was, for instance, likely a mistake for Obama to have self-imposed any sort of deadline with regard to closing Guantanamo Bay. An open-ended commitment to shutting down the facility with all due haste might have been a better approach. Of course, right-wingers would then have raised hollow complaints about the lack of a deadline, but raising hollow complaints is about all the right-wing is actually good at, so they may be expected to raise hollow complaints no matter what course of action one follows. On this account, one may as well just choose the best path forward and pay no attention at all to what the right-wing has to say. That's what most sensible people do in any case.

It was perhaps also a mistake to have taken Chris Hill off of North Korea and sent him instead to Baghdad. No doubt the latter is an important post at this point, one that is worthy of an appointee of Hill's caliber, and it is clear enough that prospects for coordination with Iran will be greater with Hill than with Anthony Zinni, but the unique and productive relationship that Hill had forged with both the North Koreans and the Chinese will be difficult for even a Stephen Bosworth to quickly replicate. At least in the near-term then, the loss in Korea may exceed the gain in Iraq.

Last edited by saganista; 05-30-2009 at 06:08 AM..

Old 05-30-2009, 09:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Of course.
For instance, I think ordering jalapeno peppers on one's hamburger is definitely a mistake (as he did yesterday) and I am not afraid to say so

Old 05-30-2009, 09:35 AM

639 posts, read 1,142,954 times
The bumper stickers are starting to pop up....."Don't blame me, I didn't vote for him!!!"

Old 05-30-2009, 09:59 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Yes. Obama made a mistake in trying to reach out to congressional republicans...It's one I hope he learned from.
you read my mind!

Old 05-30-2009, 10:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
The bumper stickers are starting to pop up....."Don't blame me, I didn't vote for him!!!"
Haven't seen one.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:12 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Do you base this on anything?
What I mean is.. is it public knowledge how much has been printed?
Is this an educated guess (based on formulas to calculate inflation)?

Or just a guess?

Mostly history repeating itself. Anytime the U.S. or any other country has printed money to pay bills well past their true income, massive inflation follows and no country has ever spent it's way to prosperity with money it didn't have.

Both parties are guilty of it, but this will fall on the current President's watch with full backing from a Democratic Congress.

That is what killed Carter's presidency, more than the Iran issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies