Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 10:45 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Condo association from hell asks vet to remove bumper stickers

A Dallas home owner's association (HOA) told Frank Larison, a disabled veteran with more than 14 years of service, that he had to remove seven Marine Corps decals from his car because they constitute an advertisement and that violates HOA rules.

Fox 4 reports that "Otherwise, the homeowners association for The Woodlands II on The Creek -- where Larison has lived for eight years --- says in a letter it will tow the car at Larison's expense. The board also threatens to fine him $50 for any future incident."

"To me, it's being patriotic, and it shows that I served," Larison told Fox 4.
I would say that the HOA is vioating the resident's consitutional right to freedom of speech. I would CERTAINLY get a hold of the local office of the ACLU and see about filing a lawsuit against them. Better yet, let them tow the car. Then the resident would incur monitary DAMAGES which he could sue for and get three times the amount (not to mention emotional pain and suffering).

HOAs are frequently run by the biggest morons on the planet and I think this is a perfect illustration of that fact. I would fight them to my last breath on this one.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 12:59 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,798 times
Quote:

A Dallas home owner's association (HOA) told Frank Larison, a disabled veteran with more than 14 years of service, that he had to remove seven Marine Corps decals from his car because they constitute an advertisement and that violates HOA rules.

Fox 4 reports that "Otherwise, the homeowners association for The Woodlands II on The Creek -- where Larison has lived for eight years --- says in a letter it will tow the car at Larison's expense. The board also threatens to fine him $50 for any future incident."

Reason #4001 why HOA's suck, and why I will never live in one.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:06 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Reason #4001 why HOA's suck, and why I will never live in one.

But he did. So he can follow the rules he agreed to or move.

Simple. No court needed. No outrage needed. No chest beating. No wrapping up in the flag.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:12 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
But he did. So he can follow the rules he agreed to or move.

Simple. No court needed. No outrage needed. No chest beating. No wrapping up in the flag.
I'm not convinced that this is a violation of rules. I think it's a petty, small condo association president (and maybe a few followers) consumed with power and out to rule their little corner of the world. The rule this is suppose to have violated relates to advertising. I fail to see how the decals involved were advertising.

And I suspect the courts would agree with me if the condo association is foolish enough to let it go that far.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:20 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,923 times
Unfortunately, Texas state law grants very broad powers to HOAs - among the broadest in the nation. That's one area that might need some reform.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:50 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,442,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Is this only a "big" issue because he was a marine and had marine corp decals?

If it was some kid (or adult) with Rap, or Punk and Heavy Metal bands or FU stickers would you still be outraged at the HOA (or would you say yes they need to remove them)?

Did he agree to the terms of the HOA when he moved in?
Argumentative to a fault!

It is a big deal he should be able to have those bumper stickers on his car. The left Liberal crazies are showing their true colors and thinking it is ok to be anti American I'd say....
It is a BIG deal because these are not vulgar in any way they are patriotic.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:54 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,442,384 times
Quote:

The board of The Woodlands II on The Creek says the decals violate the rules of the homeowners association, which deems them advertisements — even though the TV station spotted other residents' vehicles with bumper stickers for political parties, health causes and other non-commercial interests.

It may not come to that. The TV station wasn't able to reach top officials at the residential community, though one board member interviewed seemed surprised that Larimore was being singled out.

O-Zone: The board of The Woodlands II on The Creek is a idiot... (http://forums.the-ozone.net/offtopic/messages/44559.html - broken link)

Old 05-30-2009, 03:55 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,562,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Argumentative to a fault!

It is a big deal he should be able to have those bumper stickers on his car. The left Liberal crazies are showing their true colors and thinking it is ok to be anti American I'd say....
It is a BIG deal because these are not vulgar in any way they are patriotic.
Here you go spewing anti-liberal crap again, does it ever end? THIS liberal personally thinks it's ridiculous. Which is why I would NEVER buy a condo or live in a home in an area that had specific rules. If I own a place outright I will not live by idiotic rules such as not being allowed to plant a vegetable garden, hang a clothes line, hang towels on a balcony railing (yes, that is an actual rule I heard from someone), etc.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:58 PM

716 posts, read 1,119,471 times
^I saw that in a different link too. They showed other bumper stickers, Obama stickers, etc. And there are limits to what HOA's can ban. I think some state laws say they can't ban American flags, for example.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:27 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,662,427 times
some one like lucky gem. she thinks rainbow stickers are propaganda and advertising by homosexuals...

but if its a problem, go where there is no HOA. they always have some kind of kooky rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
What kind of a moron thinks a "Dozen" Marine Stickers on a disabled Marine's car are some form of comercial advertizing. The fact that guys like him were in the military keeping pompus a$$es out of harms way should allow them to put flags up in the yard too.

If he was advertising for Wally World, that would be pretty cut and dry. That homeowners assn. just grabbed a big tiger by the tail and will be letting go pretty quickly or will be coming up short a hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies