Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Liberals and Independents-would you vote GOP if there was no religious right?
Yes 35 59.32%
No 24 40.68%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:03 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
He was moderate as well. Then they decided he was too moderate and it went to hell. I certainly would have rather had him in office over Bush.
HELL YES!

McCain 2000 if a Republican HAD to win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 02:05 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
My dad's side of the family has always sort of had Rockafeller Republican leanings, which in many ways, I have inherited. Needless to say none of us vote Republican anymore. I could see that definitely changing though, if the religious right was no more.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:06 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Right on girl.

I sincerely believe that debating abortion and even still voting on it is a sincere waste of time and as you said "It was just an unnecessary bill to get people all riled up about abortion when there were much bigger issues to be discussed."

I could not say it better than myself.

I sometimes laugh as people still cry and argue about it. What a waste of time. As some people say about California banning same sex marriage "The law is upheld! Get over it!" Same with Roe V. Wade. "The law is upheld! Get over it!"

This is why I would be ok with a Republican who is not hijacked by the religious right or believes that his/her beliefs should get in the way of how people live. They banned domestic partnerships which is the same as civil unions right?
Domestic partnerships are illegal in the state of AR and one city, Eureka Springs, has a domestic partnership registry.
The registry is to help couples obtain health insurance through their PRIVATE employers. They receive no state benefits and for the most part the registry is just symbolic.

Domestic registries and civil unions are the same thing for the most part but the rights they confer differ state by state.

With abortion I say: get over it
With marriage equality: It will happen, get out the way of progress.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:06 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post
America was founded on the idea that as long as your not bothering anybody you can do what you want.
Ha. Look back to the late 1700's....you know....when America was founded.

Look at the laws then vs. the laws now. Back then, far more intrusive.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:08 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Because you want don't want anyone to question the laws YOU like or want to see passed! Funny how that works out.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yes, except he wanted to keep us in Iraq for quite awhile longer.

I admitted the war could have something to do with the religious right.

There's more than only abortion and gay marriage, you're correct. I simply feel that those are the two main issues people associate with the religious right.

I know. And I don't want to discuss either. We (somewhat) share the same view on one and have exact opposite views on the other, but there are about 50 million other threads on both of those topics.
Actually, you and I do not have the exact opposite views on abortion. I do not think late term is cool. I do believe the woman has the right if she was raped (as you agree-I BELIEVE-correct me if I am wrong)

So it is a little different but we actually agreeing on more than you think.

Gay marriage, I am for. Not sure how you stand on it.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post
Yep I sure would. Well that and a few more changes. The religious right is my biggest complaint with the GOP. You have there members beveling this is a christian nation, there stance on abortion or gay marriage. America was founded on the idea that as long as your not bothering anybody you can do what you want. When you have people saying how you should live your life based on "GOD" kinda sends me the other way.
It always strikes me as funny (for lack of a better term) that the Republican party of my state says they are the party of individual liberties. Biggest joke EVER!

They only want you to have the liberties they think you can have.

One of my favorite Libertarian bumper stickers is Liberty means defending someone's right to do what you DON'T like.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Agree with you. 100 percent.

They are telling us to "get over it" with the gay marriage ban in Cali but all this time they could never "get over" that abortion is the WOMANS choice.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Because you want don't want anyone to question the laws YOU like or want to see passed! Funny how that works out.
Abortion doesn't harm me.
Marriage INequality harms me.

Kinda see how that works?

Old 06-02-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Agree with you. 100 percent.

They are telling us to "get over it" with the gay marriage ban in Cali but all this time they could never "get over" that abortion is the WOMANS choice.
They could have gotten over the Supreme Court's decision kept Prop 8 off the ballot in the first place.

I wish they would spend more time trying to prevent unplanned/unwanted pregnancies than trying to wage a war against abortion.

Abortion will always happen, whether it's legal or not and I'd rather it be legal that way women aren't in back allies trying to get abortions or trying to induce one themselves at home.

My own grandmother who I consider very religious doesn't agree with abortion BUT she knows it needs to be legal because she has personally witnessed the days where it wasn't legal and seen women almost die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies