Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:39 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,622,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
In Obama's speech in Cairo today he tried to rewrite history by strongly implying that our Founding Fathers were supporters of Islam and what it teaches. He did this by stating that Thomas Jefferson had a copy of the Koran in his library. If you read unedited history you find out that the reason Jefferson had the Koran is that he wanted to read it and understand why Islam had an intolerance for anyone that wasn't muslim and what was the basis for the muslim belief that a person be muslim, convert to muslim, or die. Jefferson and John Adams were in no way supportive of many of the beliefs of Islam. I'm would imagine that Jefferson and Adams are turning over in their graves today.
Interesting thread.

What a presumptuous argument and analysis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 11:40 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,207,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
You seem to indicate that academicians require good sources.
No, I think everyone should!

KYVL: How to Do Research: Why Cite Information Sources?

Quote:
Would you agree that he is an academician? After all, he did work for a Democrat.
Lol, I'd say he's ABSOLUTELY an academician.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:40 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,939,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
You gave me a string of links. I looked at the Hitchens one: there was nothing in it to refute. Based on that link you provided, why should I waste time on the others?
I gave you several links and can provide several more. You can google yourself.

If you are not interested, like I said that is okay. Just be honest about it.

I am not even attempting to take any side of the issue. I am just putting forth information that I find interesting and thought provoking, apparently you are not.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I gave you several links and can provide several more. You can google yourself.

If you are not interested, like I said that is okay. Just be honest about it.

I am not even attempting to take any side of the issue. I am just putting forth information that I find interesting and thought provoking, apparently you are not.
SoccerSupporter. Among the links was the Hitchens piece, which I looked at. I dont expect to live forever so I only looked at one. That piece had nothing to do with why TJ owned a Koran, which is a subj of the OP's post.

Based on that fact, I didnt see a purpose in looking at the others. If you want to give the gist of them and not expect me to go read them without a good reason, that would be nice I guess.

Maybe Im finally addressing your point by saying I dont care about TJ or his Koran or the history of the Barbary Shore beyond the scope of this thread. If you wanted to offer articles that were interesting yet OT you shoulda marked them as such.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:47 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,602,284 times
Quote:
Your first conclusion -

haha, go get the guy's source. Didnt he even publish one?
I don't have his text in hand. The guy's credentials suggest that he is likely a good source. When you post on here citing a source with a background like his, do you go the extra step of going to the footnotes of their writings to post them? I'm sorry if you have such a hard time with the idea that this may be the reason for the Koran. I don't care enough to go check his footnotes. I may be wrong and he may have had some hidden motive for this writing.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I don't have his text in hand. The guy's credentials suggest that he is likely a good source. When you post on here citing a source with a background like his, do you go the extra step of going to the footnotes of their writings to post them? I'm sorry if you have such a hard time with the idea that this may be the reason for the Koran. I don't care enough to go check his footnotes.
Oh Rggr you're not serious. Who gives a F* about his background?

Because you've been told you should be impressed by someone on some BS artificial level, you allow yourself to be intimidated into not checking out what they claim? Even Wikipedia requires cites.

They're only human beings you know. Even Dr. Rand Fishbein, President of Fishbein Associates, Inc., graduate (Ph.D.) from the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies at The Johns Hopkins University, former Professional Staff Member (Majority) of both the U.S. Senate Defense Appropriations and Foreign Operations Appropriations subcommittees and former Special Assistant for National Security Affairs to Senator Daniel K. Inouye (D-HI).

Old 06-04-2009, 11:50 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,061,131 times
Quote:

Because someone impresses you on some BS artificial level, you allow yourself to be intimidated into not checking them out?

They're only human beings you know.
If only the Obama voters took your adivce.

ok well- benefit of the doubt there was no alternative.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:53 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,061,131 times
Quote:

Because you've been told you should be impressed by someone on some BS artificial level, you allow yourself to be intimidated into not checking out what they claim? Even Wikipedia requires cites.

So you do not take advice from medical doctors?

Old 06-04-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
So you do not take advice from medical doctors?
Not if they cant back up their claims.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:56 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,602,284 times
Quote:

Because someone impresses you on some BS artificial level, you allow yourself to be intimidated into not checking out what they claim? Even Wikipedia requires cites.

If this was a topic that I really gave a F* about, I would dig further. I really don't care at a level deep enough to do independent research on this one. You are correct that academics can be full of it as much as anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies