Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:07 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Donks like Obama because he can stand pretty, read well and deliver a speech like a teacher's pet?

I want a Prez who can stand in a dark room with the nastiest of the planet's finest dictators and squeeze 'nads till they sing in seven keys ending with a screaming chorus of 'Uncle' in high C. Then I know we have a deal, and a leader.
Nothing wrong with "speaking softly and carrying a big stick." Just because we speak of peace and seek it with others does not mean we have abandoned our willingness for war in the defense of our nation. Peace and War (or if one prefers, War and Peace) go hand-in-hand. This has been understood in this country for over 2 centuries as illustrated by the Great Seal of the United States:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 07:07 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I re-read the speech because I did not see that take on it. I agree with what you say. I think he was trying to make points with them by making us look like we had issues with womens right while they were making great progress?

You have to remember that he does not have to make any brownie points with US citizens until just the 2nd half of his first term. He has to start immediately with the rest of the world. I don't think he cares as much about leaving a legacy with the US voter as he does with the world community. It is clear wher his priorities are, afterall he is a citizen of the world.

This is the Obama that people voted for so you will have to just grin and bare it until 2012.
But he did not need to leave the Egyptians with the vague idea that Americans disrespect women, or treat them as lesser Americans. Or allow them to assume Americans are trying to deny freedom of expression by trying to forbid women from covering their hair, or wearing a hijab. I just scratch my head and wonder why he brings up obsure references as if the are so representative of Americans that he needed to include them in his speech.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:37 PM

156 posts, read 133,791 times
Quote:
Donks like Obama because he can stand pretty, read well and deliver a speech like a teacher's pet?

I want a Prez who can stand in a dark room with the nastiest of the planet's finest dictators and squeeze 'nads till they sing in seven keys ending with a screaming chorus of 'Uncle' in high C. Then I know we have a deal, and a leader.
The President's teleprompter must have been working very well that day!I'm glad they got that thing fixed!

Old 06-05-2009, 07:38 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Where do these idiots get off thinking that having talks with a enemy means that America either agrees with or will capitulate with anything on the table. NO country has ever gained peace with terrorists without talking to them Obama is doing it up front and in the open instead of behind closed doors and behind the backs of the American people.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:39 PM

156 posts, read 133,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Nothing wrong with "speaking softly and carrying a big stick." Just because we speak of peace and seek it with others does not mean we have abandoned our willingness for war in the defense of our nation. Peace and War (or if one prefers, War and Peace) go hand-in-hand. This has been understood in this country for over 2 centuries as illustrated by the Great Seal of the United States:
I used to wear a patch similar to this, except mine had lightening bolts coming from the claws.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:45 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
But he did not need to leave the Egyptians with the vague idea that Americans disrespect women,
It's a very lawyerly way to present an argument and one that Obama regularly used throughout the campaign; you give a little and preempt the strawman argument.

Obama argues that others need to step-up to the plate regarding women's equality and they you state:

"...the struggle for women's equality continues in many aspects of American life, and in countries around the world."

This immediately shuts down the retort, "but women in the U.S. blah, blah, blah.

Obama argues that, "the U.S. government has gone to court to protect the right of women and girls to wear the hijab,"

Which in turn preempts the counter, "But the French government tried to out law girls from wearing hijab in the schools so don't tell us about the west's respect of Islam, blah, blah, blah.

Now I know some would prefer red meat hubris, but the idea is to give to get more.

Geez!

Old 06-05-2009, 07:58 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,950 times
Quote:

I thought we shouldn't meet with our enemies I guess only when we have their "nads" in our hands..

I'm not excatly sure who's "winning" if that's taking place.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:18 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It's a very lawyerly way to present an argument and one that Obama regularly used throughout the campaign; you give a little and preempt the strawman argument.

Obama argues that others need to step-up to the plate regarding women's equality and they you state:

"...the struggle for women's equality continues in many aspects of American life, and in countries around the world."

This immediately shuts down the retort, "but women in the U.S. blah, blah, blah.

Obama argues that, "the U.S. government has gone to court to protect the right of women and girls to wear the hijab,"

Which in turn preempts the counter, "But the French government tried to out law girls from wearing hijab in the schools so don't tell us about the west's respect of Islam, blah, blah, blah.

Now I know some would prefer red meat hubris, but the idea is to give to get more.

Geez!
thanks ovcatto

Old 06-06-2009, 05:41 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
That speech was not broadcast in Iran.
Obama's remarks were televised on all radio and television stations in Israel, and with Arabic voice-over translations by Arab satellite stations Al-Arabiya and Al-Jazeera, Egyptian TV and Al-Manar, an outlet for the militant group Hezbollah. The speech was not broadcast in Iran, where the goverment jammed signals to block satellite owners from watching.
Obama Cairo Speech (VIDEO): Calls For New Beginning, Gets Standing Ovation

Old 06-06-2009, 05:54 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudynm View Post
The President's teleprompter must have been working very well that day!I'm glad they got that thing fixed!

Apparently he can't read a hand held German teleprompter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies