Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 10:57 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Halt right there reactionaries -- read the article before you start screaming -- Obama is NOT, repeat, NOT going to take away your butter AND your guns.

"Any health care reform plan that Obama signs is almost certain to call for nutrition counseling, obesity screenings and wellness programs at workplaces and community centers. He wants more time in the school day for physical fitness, more nutritious school lunches and more bike paths, walking paths and grocery stores in underserved areas.
"The public health community has worked intensively in recent years to build a body of evidence in support of the very initiatives Obama and lawmakers are now embracing. They frame the issue as one of money: Chronic diseases account for 75 percent of the nation’s $2 trillion in medical costs, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. And if the government encourages healthful lifestyles, it could slow the rising cost of health care, though the exact savings are debatable."
I like the push for a healthy lifestyle. I do wonder though, if it's such a savings, why the proposed tax would be necessary.

"Even Congress is getting into the act, giving serious consideration to taxing sugary drinks and alcohol to help pay for the overhaul."

Barack Obama says shape up now - Carrie Budoff Brown - POLITICO.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 11:01 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
This is the coolest story EVER - I wish something like this would happen.

how we got the Pres Council on Physical Fitness.

The 50-Mile Hike Phenomenon - a knol by Paul Kiczek

(Hey you, thank you for showing me this, if you ever happen upon this post - hi honey! )

Old 06-10-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
It probably would've been smarter to shut down import restrictions for sugar since HFCS ala corn subsidies is really the big catalyst here. Of course, the poor suffer most since they will not have the money for the increase in prices.
Pepsi Throwback costs the same I believe.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I like the push for a healthy lifestyle. I do wonder though, if it's such a savings, why the proposed tax would be necessary.

"Even Congress is getting into the act, giving serious consideration to taxing sugary drinks and alcohol to help pay for the overhaul."
"[The OA is] almost certain to call for nutrition counseling, obesity screenings and wellness programs at workplaces and community centers. He wants more time in the school day for physical fitness, more nutritious school lunches and more bike paths, walking paths and grocery stores in underserved areas."

Old 06-10-2009, 11:09 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
Pepsi Throwback costs the same I believe.
That was a smart move and I have finally become a mainstream cola drinker again (albeit rarely). Notice how the free market worked around the problem

Of course, there's the real possibility throwback is a loss leader. I find it hard to believe they can profit from the artificially high cost of sugar.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:10 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Congress will be conveniently exempt from all "wellness requirements." Barney Frank could lose a few tons.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Congress will be conveniently exempt from all "wellness requirements." Barney Frank could lose a few tons.
No kidding. Looks like he ate Pelosi!

Old 06-10-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
That was a smart move and I have finally become a mainstream cola drinker again (albeit rarely). Notice how the free market worked around the problem

Of course, there's the real possibility throwback is a loss leader. I find it hard to believe they can profit from the artificially high cost of sugar.
I love to watch the machinery of business too. I think this is just until ethanol is no longer so profitable.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I think it's just until ethanol is no longer so profitable.

Yes, I love to watch the machinery of business too.
Ethanol is a net energy loser (takes more energy to extract final product than what you get out of it), and I'm shocked if it is actually profitable excluding the subsidies.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Ethanol is a net energy loser (takes more energy to extract final product than what you get out of it), and I'm shocked if it is actually profitable excluding the subsidies.
I dunno, but there's a reason they're moving back to sugar, of all maligned substances, and away from HFCS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies