Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should felons be allowed to obtain, possess and carry weapons?
Yes 9 15.00%
No 51 85.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 05:48 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I have to agree, only violent felons should be denied their gun rights but with hussein obmama in office I am sure he will go after all gun rights to leave us defensless.
So you're a felon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 05:57 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,661,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Nah...I'd rather keep drug dealers unarmed. I don't know anything good that has been spawn through the marriage between drugs and guns. I'm all for rights but I'm also for the right to lose your rights. I wouldn't let a child molester work at a daycare either. Why give a criminal his or her tools of the trade? Why give an extremist the right to arm himself just as he did in the past? If you get too many tickets, you'll lose your right to drive.
There are too many non-violent felony crimes to make such a blanket statement, in my opinion - crimes that I wouldn't consider "extreme" at all.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:59 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,470 times
Quote:
So somebody that is so "irresponsible" that they sell a kilo of cocaine(non-violent) should, once released be able to obtain, own and carry a firearm?
That can be considered a gang affiliated crime, or mafia affiliated crime, and IMO that would be violent.

I was thinking more along the lines of Martha Stewart, or Joe Blow down the street that has a felony due to not paying child support, cause he lost his job.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
There are too many non-violent felony crimes to make such a blanket statement, in my opinion - crimes that I wouldn't consider "extreme" at all.
I consider possessing a weapon more of a judgement thing than simply a violence thing. If one chooses to violate the law in a felonious manner, then they lose that right. A weapon isn't an essential item needed for survival but if you covet it as such, don't commit a felony.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:04 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,108 times
It depends, but then again that is what background checks are for...

Old 06-10-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
That can be considered a gang affiliated crime, or mafia affiliated crime, and IMO that would be violent.

I was thinking more along the lines of Martha Stewart, or Joe Blow down the street that has a felony due to not paying child support, cause he lost his job.
Judgement and responsiblity. They purposefully committed felonies. Why should they be trusted to carry a firearm?

It takes a looooong time to be in felony violation of a child support order.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:12 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,086,339 times
Quote:
So you're a felon?

No, why are you a felon?

Old 06-10-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
If you get too many tickets, you'll lose your right to drive.
True, but then again driving a car is not a Constitutional right like firearm ownership is.

Look, I see both sides of it. On one hand, I know people that genuinely screwed up when they were young and stupid and got in trouble, and haven't since. They shouldn't be forced to spend their lives being treated like crap cause of idiot choices they made when they were younger.

But on the other hand, I shudder to think that murderers and rapist and serial assaultist would be given firearms again. Let's be honest here, NO ONE thinks that it would a a GRAND idea to give Charlie Manson an AK-47!

I speak from both sides of this topic, since my husband is a felon (with full rights restored, mind you). When he was 18, his neighbor shot his dog (who was digging for moles in her garden), he took the gun away from her, and threw it in his truck and took the dog to the vet. She called the cops, and had him arrested for theft of a firearm. BAM! Felony conviction. He served his sentence (probation) and has not been in trouble since.

He was able to serve our Country in the Army as a Cav Scout (thus my screen name), with an honorable discharge. Since then, he has applied and been granted his civil rights (to vote), and his ability to own and possess firearms ( two separate application processes). As well as, he is currently in the process of having his felony reduced to a misdemeanor, or hopefully expunged from his record fully. (fingers crossed!) Since that one offense, he has not been in any trouble at all, and is an upstanding member of our community.

My husband is the type of person I am thinking of when I say felons who are non violent.

I struggle with these questions, since on one hand there is NOTHING in the 2nd Am that says "right to bear arms, but only if you are this type person"; but I don't want to see people that are just rotten to the core have access to their weapon of choice in their crimes either.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:13 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,661,576 times
Quote:
I consider possessing a weapon more of a judgement thing than simply a violence thing. If one chooses to violate the law in a felonious manner, then they lose that right. A weapon isn't an essential item needed for survival but if you covet it as such, don't commit a felony.
You must not believe that Americans have a right to own a gun then.

The Second Amendment doesn't exclude felons.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
It takes a looooong time to be in felony violation of a child support order.
You would be surprised. Some states are VERY hard core about it, and have dropped the back amount to incrue a felony to $2,000. Which would rack up pretty quickly for someone that was ordered to pay $500+/month, but lost their job, or was severely injured for a period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies