Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:56 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times

Advertisements

If a ticket buys one seat and a passenger takes up more than one, well..........
A study by the airlines could be done to see if it's financially feasible for them to install a percentage of banks of seats that are only two instead of three and charge
1 1/2 times the fare for them.
Could be that some people not oversized would even buy them (if not pre-filled)as an upgrade without having to buy first class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 05:58 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
They could have a special divider to fit around the seat so that the person doesn't intrude into the persons seat next to them. Or their neighbor in the seat could request one for themselves to block a person of size from taking up their space.
Yes, a person should buy an extra seat. I was on a bus trip and a gentleman purchased two seats due to his size. He wasn't huge, but big enough to want to be able to stretch out a bit which would have been impossible. He was a nice guy and knew his size was an issue and nobody gave him a hard time about it.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:23 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I am not trying to be mean spirited; smokers etc. have also been singled out by society. However I do feel Business is Business, and as such if someone is say over approximately 250 lbs(literally two of me) than they should have to pay for two seats. After all since I am so small, I do not get a discount. The amount of fuel burned is one of the major cost factors for any mode of transportation, the heavier the "cargo", the harder the engines have to work and consume more fuel.On smaller planes your weight is sometimes checked because the plane is NOT safe to fly over a certain "gross weight". Your opinions?
I have always stood by this, if you take up two seats, you pay for two seats.

I have no moral objection to obesity (although I find it unattractive) and I oppose lawsuits against fast food companies for "causing" obesity and I oppose punitive measures for the obese.

I am not a moralist and I don't believe the government has any business in someone's waistline. But if you are so fat that you need extra large pants, than you pay for the additional material for the pants.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:41 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
I think they should do this for sporting events too. If you spill over into the other seat you pay for it. Being fat is not normal and should be treated as such.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I am not trying to be mean spirited; smokers etc. have also been singled out by society. However I do feel Business is Business, and as such if someone is say over approximately 250 lbs(literally two of me) than they should have to pay for two seats. After all since I am so small, I do not get a discount. The amount of fuel burned is one of the major cost factors for any mode of transportation, the heavier the "cargo", the harder the engines have to work and consume more fuel.On smaller planes your weight is sometimes checked because the plane is NOT safe to fly over a certain "gross weight". Your opinions?
If you take up 2 seats, you should pay for 2 seats when you buy the ticket BUT if the flight is not full and they have open seats, they should give you back the money on the 2nd seat.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Well, geez, just buy a First-Class seat if it bothers you so much.

I'm training to be a Republican.
Republicans all fly in first class don't they?

Old 06-13-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I have always stood by this, if you take up two seats, you pay for two seats.

I have no moral objection to obesity (although I find it unattractive) and I oppose lawsuits against fast food companies for "causing" obesity and I oppose punitive measures for the obese.

I am not a moralist and I don't believe the government has any business in someone's waistline. But if you are so fat that you need extra large pants, than you pay for the additional material for the pants.
The government DOES have business in the waistlines of Americans. If you are really FAT you will have all kinds of crap like Diabetis and heart disease that are a BIG part of healthcare cost in this country. It is time go after FAT like we go after cigarettes. Tax the hell out of fatty and sugary foods and use it to pay for healthcare.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:14 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Republicans all fly in first class don't they?
He didn't mean it that way, he meant "look at me being an insenstive jerk" I must be a Repub.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
He didn't mean it that way, he meant "look at me being an insenstive jerk" I must be a Repub.
All insenesitive jerks are Republicans but not all Republicans are insensitive jerks!

Old 06-13-2009, 07:33 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
250 is no where close to morbidly obese unless you are under 5ft. Weight is not the fact it's size. A person 6'10" who weighs 250 is a rail just as someone who may be 2% body fat can weigh 250 as a body builder. You gonna have everyone weigh themselves before getting on a plane?
I did not want to offend people..... I am aware of body mass index...etc. We already discussed the weigh in issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies