Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 03:07 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times

Advertisements

I am not trying to be mean spirited; smokers etc. have also been singled out by society. However I do feel Business is Business, and as such if someone is say over approximately 250 lbs(literally two of me) than they should have to pay for two seats. After all since I am so small, I do not get a discount. The amount of fuel burned is one of the major cost factors for any mode of transportation, the heavier the "cargo", the harder the engines have to work and consume more fuel.On smaller planes your weight is sometimes checked because the plane is NOT safe to fly over a certain "gross weight". Your opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 03:09 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
I'd say it should be handled on a case-by-case basis. If someone is a family member of a passenger who is obese, that person might not mind being squeezed a bit.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:17 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
<from a cold hearted business point of view> The airline is selling tickets per seat. If the morbidly obese person is wide enough that their body mass will consume two seats then that person should be required to purchase the extra ticket.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:19 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
The alternative is to have each person step onto a scale and be charge according to their body weight and that would be business suicide.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
The alternative is to have each person step onto a scale and be charge according to their body weight and that would be business suicide.
True....would need to be a "look and see", approach. And I don't think people should be embarassed.....maybe time for a national I.D. with weight and height approximations/// would also take a bite out of crime and terrorism and illegal immigration.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:51 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
I think they should have to purchase two seats. Anyone who disagrees has not been forced to seat squashed up by one of these people. Its not the airlines fault the person doesn't fit in their seat.

You pay for what you get, if you need two seats then you should have to pay for them.

I however agree that if a family is flying together and the three of them (for example) can keep their bulk in three seats, I don't see why that can't be good enough. Just don't ask ME to be squashedin beside someone I don't even know. If I pay for ONE SEAT, the use of that ONE SEAT in its entirety should be mine.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I think they should have to purchase two seats. Anyone who disagrees has not been forced to seat squashed up by one of these people. Its not the airlines fault the person doesn't fit in their seat.

You pay for what you get, if you need two seats then you should have to pay for them.

I however agree that if a family is flying together and the three of them (for example) can keep their bulk in three seats, I don't see why that can't be good enough. Just don't ask ME to be squashedin beside someone I don't even know. If I pay for ONE SEAT, the use of that ONE SEAT in its entirety should be mine.
Being a small person(125 lbs.) I personally have been the "icing" between heavy people...and as a nurse I have hurt my back countless times trying to transfer patients. I think it is only fair.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:36 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Well, geez, just buy a First-Class seat if it bothers you so much.

I'm training to be a Republican.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:47 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I am not trying to be mean spirited; smokers etc. have also been singled out by society. However I do feel Business is Business, and as such if someone is say over approximately 250 lbs(literally two of me) than they should have to pay for two seats. After all since I am so small, I do not get a discount. The amount of fuel burned is one of the major cost factors for any mode of transportation, the heavier the "cargo", the harder the engines have to work and consume more fuel.On smaller planes your weight is sometimes checked because the plane is NOT safe to fly over a certain "gross weight". Your opinions?
250 is no where close to morbidly obese unless you are under 5ft. Weight is not the fact it's size. A person 6'10" who weighs 250 is a rail just as someone who may be 2% body fat can weigh 250 as a body builder. You gonna have everyone weigh themselves before getting on a plane?

Old 06-13-2009, 04:48 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
True....would need to be a "look and see", approach. And I don't think people should be embarassed.....maybe time for a national I.D. with weight and height approximations/// would also take a bite out of crime and terrorism and illegal immigration.
Yeah....because weight doesn't fluctuate

You want to have weekly weigh ins or something? Besides...it's called a drivers license....don't those have the "stats" you are looking for? What does weight and heigh have to do with terrorism or crime? Do fat tall people cause more issues?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies