Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 12:04 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
The only thing Im disappointed about is that he constantly tries to work with the right. They hate him no matter what he does and so he should ignore them totally. The rights strategy is go against everything he does no matter what. Convince independents to vote for them again and then continue to make policy after policy for rich coperate America. He should ignore or seek to destroy the GOP
I am in COMPLETE AGREEMENT with you in the part I bolded.

I posted about this earlier. The right HATES him and spits their venom on Obama so he might as well QUIT trying to please them and be so nice to them. He tried and look at what they did to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 12:06 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post

I voted for Obama but I'm on the fence with his job performance. I don't think he has been in office long enough for anyone to really judge how well or horrible he has done.
Well, considering that by this time in George W. Bush's first term in office, he had spent 96 days on vacation (which was more than 40% of his presidency to that date), and we'd suffered the worst terrorist attack on our nation's soil in our country's history, in spite of dozens of warnings from the intelligence agencies, I'd say by comparison, Barack Obama is kicking all kinds of ass and taking names along the way.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:19 AM

805 posts, read 1,509,991 times
I dislike the decision of sending 30k troops to Afghanistan. I think there's a cheaper and more efficient way of running down terrorists. Instead, Obama needs to spend a mere billion $ instead and put together a think tank on that (because 1 billion will save us trillions in war). Invite a whole host of generals and experts and I'm sure that could be done. It's just that they don't want to do it. I can't be the only one who thought of this brilliant idea.

I dislike the 2nd bailout. The first under Bush was already highly unpalatable.

I do like the other things he is doing: the new GI bill, health care reform (at least nominally -- what we'll end up getting is another thing), keeping dependents up to age 27 on parents' health insurance, $4k for college students in exchange for nat'l service.

I think he is doing his best but the courage he showed when he voted AGAINST the war in Iraq wasn't seen this time.

I hope there will be a candidate in 2012 who will replace WAR with DIPLOMACY once and for all. World police is not a good job for us to have. We are hated for it. Why continue to do something that is expensive and causes more anger?

Old 12-02-2009, 03:25 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
I'm not happy the GOP gave me no viable choice with John McCain's negative fear-mongering campaign and his failure to choose an acceptable running mate. His claim of knowing how to get bin Laden, with the implication he'd only tell if elected, was nothing less than a lame attempt to hold America hostage

Old 12-02-2009, 04:38 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
I did not vote for him, but I think he is doing pretty good given the circumstances and the unprecedented opposition and misinformation campaigns. The GOP has discovered a new political low, and may have lost my independent vote for good.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:53 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
I voted for Obama, but am not happy with his decisions thus far. I think he's in over his head, and what's more worrying, he doesn't seem to know what he doesn't know. That's frightening. And he has selected weak staff members. But I didn't want McCain. I just had higher hopes for Obama. He wasn't ready for this role yet, IMO.
nice to see someone honest and really looking at what he is doing!

Old 12-02-2009, 05:08 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I would agree with you that the left will not abandon Obama since he leans so far left. But liberals and conservatives don't decide elections; moderates do. Right now, the loss of support the Democrats have experienced has come from independents. What I hear independents saying is Obama is no different than Bush, and you have to agree that he has followed most of Bush's policies in Iraq and Afghanistan. At the end of the day, talk is cheap. Funny I keep hearing that statement about Independents, yet not one Independt that I know, including myself, wishes they voted McCain, I get the feeling this is more wishful thinking on the part of the right, since without the Independent voters backing them they will gain little in their bid to regain power. No, President Obama is not just following lockstep in Bush's steps, fi that were true he would be ignoring Afganistan and continuing to focus on Iraq. In fact the opposite is happening , more troops are going to Afganistan in attempt to deal with the terrorists and Taliban that are still there and in Iraq we are slowly pulling out. I would like to see us get out of Iraq sooner but at least we are headed in the right direction.

Doesn't really matter since he's a one-termer anyway. Reagan recovered from low approval ratings because he understood the significance of a strong dollar to economic expansion. That lesson seems lost on BO. Our current weak dollar strategy may provide a small bump in manufacturing in the short run, but the price we'll all pay in higher inflation and soaring interst rates will eclipse any gains. Remember too, Carter was a net job creator, but his weak dollar strategy came home to roost in the form of stagflation before his first term was complete. People always vote their pocket book.
You hope he is, the Repubs better find a better set of candidates before assuming that Obama will loose in a race for re-election. Currently we are pulling out of a deep ressesion but all the indicators are there showing that we are slowly getting out. Will it take time, of-course it would, anyone that actually believes it would turn around over night really knows little about the situation. What happens when the economy is doing better, healthcare is in place, we are out of Iraq for the most part, the war in Afganistan is winding down in three years and other issues left oin the back burner by Bush are being addressed? The Right is relying on the Deoms to fail, hence the continual whining, and if that is all they have then they will end up with another term for Obama. So, yes people do vote with their pocket book and if the economy is doing much better in three years you can count on them not wanting to change leaders in the Whitehouse.
Casper

Old 12-02-2009, 05:08 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Like the OP i too liked Kucinich, but actually voted for Nader. I felt Obama and McCain would not end the war and infact involve us deeper.... guess I was right. I find this latest decision ( afganistan ) to be a poor choice.

I have no problem with his choices about turning the economy around, but I would prefer more belt tightening in some areas to keep the budget from going totally out of hand.

I think we are missing a perfect opportunity to develop a new industry, help the environment and save people money buy not investing in the greening of America.

We need to invest in R&D and bring it to market instead of letting the other nations of the world do it.

I hope for the best with Obama but it seems to be pretty close to what I expected and that leaves a lot of room for improvement. On the flip side I really don't think McCain would have done anything different, except I doubt he would have jumped into the economy as quickly as Obama did. I'm not sure why any McCain supporter would complain they seem to be getting the policies they wanted.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:18 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
You hope he is, the Repubs better find a better set of candidates before assuming that Obama will loose in a race for re-election. Currently we are pulling out of a deep ressesion but all the indicators are there showing that we are slowly getting out. Will it take time, of-course it would, anyone that actually believes it would turn around over night really knows little about the situation. What happens when the economy is doing better, healthcare is in place, we are out of Iraq for the most part, the war in Afganistan is winding down in three years and other issues left oin the back burner by Bush are being addressed? The Right is relying on the Deoms to fail, hence the continual whining, and if that is all they have then they will end up with another term for Obama. So, yes people do vote with their pocket book and if the economy is doing much better in three years you can count on them not wanting to change leaders in the Whitehouse.
Casper
That's EXACTLY right.
In 2010 the GOP WILL make gains - after all it's USUALLY the case with the party out of power - but not enough to sway the balance of power in Congress (though it WILL make getting the Democratic agenda in place harder (and the Democrats tend to be pretty fractious to begin with)). However, by 2012 the economy will well recovered, the recession a distant (if unpleasant) memory and our forces gone from Iraq (except perhaps for a relative handful of military advisors). We will still probably be in Afghanistan but it will be winding down. All of this bodes pretty darned well for a President that is doing pretty well in the polls (still around 50%) during the worse recession in nearly a century.

Ken

Old 12-02-2009, 09:32 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
How many times are people going to create threads asking this same question?

How do you feel about him now? Good....
How bout now? Still good....

How bout now? Reallly...wow...ok well maybe next week you'll feel differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies