Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the judge correct to sentence Donte Stallworth to 30 days in jail for a DUI that killed a pedest
Yes 6 17.14%
No 28 80.00%
I'm not sure 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:23 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
And more than Laura Bush. What's your point?
What does Laura Bush has to do with this...Kennedy killed some one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 08:27 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
And more than Laura Bush. What's your point?
if you are not concenred about Kennedy getting off why are you concenred about stallworth. Thats the point.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:31 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
What does Laura Bush has to do with this...Kennedy killed some one...
Um...so did Laura Bush...

Old 06-19-2009, 08:40 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times
What does this say about the average person? You are nothing but a peasant! This crime is like the scene out of "A Tale of Two Cities" when a wealthy French landowner and Monarch runs over the son of a peasant with his horse and carriage and then throws a gold sovereign to the father as payment for his life. Is our society much different I wonder?

Old 06-19-2009, 08:41 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I think it was too lenient but the facts of the case do show he was not entirely at fault. The victim was in the road, not in a crosswalk when he was hit and his BAC was .12 which is legally "drunk" but certainly not "stumbling" drunk. The BAC limits in most of the country were .10 recently. Thirdly he stayed at the scene, tried to render aid and called 911 like he should. He accepted responsibility for it and has paid the family who, by the way, said they were fine with the sentence he got for it. And he can never drive a vehicle again. Still I think a year in detention should have been imposed.

good grief
the guy that died might think a little different about this
he was walking after an all night shift to catch a bus because he could not afford a car and this jerk spent all night drinking and now gets 30 days
he just shows that if you have money to can buy your way out of anything.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:42 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Um...so did Laura Bush...
I never heard Laura Bush run over any one. What are you taking about?

Old 06-19-2009, 08:57 AM

486 posts, read 984,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
NFL's Stallworth gets 30 days behind bars in pedestrian's death - CNN.com

Was the judge right to sentence Donte Stallworth to 30 days of jail for driving while intoxicated and killing a pedestrian?
No it wasn't right! I don't care if they took away his license for life and house arrest?! But he can go play his games?! How is that house arrest?
The family did this because he gave them a ton of money. So it all boils down to cash. I wish we knew how much it was, apparently the life of a loved one has a price afterall.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:00 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post

if you are not concenred about Kennedy getting off why are you concenred about stallworth. Thats the point.
I doubt that's why you brought Kennedy into this discussion. How do you know what I'm concerned about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post

I never heard Laura Bush run over any one. What are you taking about?
Quote:
snopes.com: Laura Bush Car Accident

17-year-old Laura Welch had run a stop sign, causing the death of the sole occupant of the vehicle hers had struck. According to that report, the future First Lady had been driving her Chevrolet sedan on a clear night shortly after 8 p.m. on 6 November 1963 when she entered an intersection without heeding the stop sign and there collided with the Corvair sedan driven by 17-year-old Michael Douglas. Also in the car with Laura Welch was a passenger, 17-year-old Judy Dykes.

How fast Miss Welch might have been driving is open to question. That part of the police report is illegible, although two biographies of the First Lady refer to her as having been going 50 mph at the time of the collision. The speed limit on that portion of road was 55 mph. According to the police report neither driver had been drinking, but no tests were performed. No charges were filed as a result of the accident.
Gee, no BAC tests? Smeared up speed on the police report? NO charges filed?

Must be nice to be well-connected.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:10 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
As some responses in this thread will indicate, we have sadly allowed ourselves in this country to become conditioned to a Pavlovian response of draconian vindictiveness against DUI's that are widely considered to be per se at a .08 BAC, even though the level of actual impairment implied is in the same range as what often results from talking on cellphones, taking various OTC drugs, getting 3 hours of sleep or less, or having recently lost a job, pet, or close family member. We single out even slight impairment via alcohol for massive punishments that actually accomplish nothing while excusing the same levels of impairment via other sources entirely. This is not sensible.

I am ever reminded of a case that occurred only a few miles from my house wherein a woman made a left turn only to be slammed into by an oncoming driver whose BAC was over the .08 BAC limit. The woman's toddler son was killed in the accident. At trial, the accident was shown to have been only the fault of the woman. She had simply failed to note the oncoming traffic. Testimony showed the defendant's driving had been ordinary in the minutes prior to the accident. Skid mark analysis showed that his reactions were not different from those of an unimpaired driver. He was cleared of all charges, and the local MADD people went berserk, claiming a murderer had been let loose into society.

No one endorses DUI. People need to take steps to avoid it. At the same time, both alcohol and driving are integral parts of life in this country. They can and do intersect, and society has every right and reason to control that intersection. There is, however, no right or reason to create a cure that is worse than the disease, and in many, many cases, that is exactly what we do...

Old 06-19-2009, 09:12 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Is there a condition that 50% of his salary goes toward rehab for people hit by drunk drivers?

Last edited by LuckyGem; 06-19-2009 at 09:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies