Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:52 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,582,052 times

Advertisements

My Uncle just started receiving his benefits from his service in Vietnam. It was only after my Mom moved back to care for my Grandmother, did she write letters and file paperwork time and time again for 3 years. At one point they wrote her back stating that they had no record of his service although he was awarded a medal for saving lives while serving this country. Needless to say, after several letters, phone calls and proof of his service having to be shoved in their faces, last year he just started receiving his benefits

I shudder to think what will become of our soldiers when this war finally ends. I feel for the ones who are back home now suffering because of a bunch of red tape These are the same people who will need psychological counseling, the same ones that will end up addicted to drugs or alcohol to cope, the same ones' who may have families that will need a helping hand just to get by and maintain. It's a sad reality that we as Americans are going to have to face when this war finally ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 08:58 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
You all are absolutely right! This is Bull----! I'm a disabled vet who happens to work at the VA hospital I'm also a certified Service Officer who helps vets get their claims through the red tape. The care at the Va hospital here is not bad but the attitudes of some of the people that work in some of the Hospitals is terrible. Personally I believe it is b/c you have alot of nonvets that are in charge and have no experience being in the military and therefore cannot relate or even understand what they have gone through. Does this sound familiar? The past administration's top 5 never served and you all know how that worked out.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
simple solution but not easy to enact. Because of their service to their country, make all Senators, Congressmen, and US Presidents transfer over to VA only health care once they leave office.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:12 PM

My father-in-law uses the VA for his blood test, medication, and hearing aids. He turns 84 in a few months. My dad uses the VA for his eyes. He lost sight in one eye while working on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. I have a shoulder injury from my time in the Navy but I don't use the VA for it yet. Was told it'll get worse as I age and when it gets bad enough then I might go in and get it checked with the VA if I don't have health insurance. Most vets don't want to use the VA without a valid need. Many of us know to stay away and make room for those who were injured in combat or who just can't get any other form of healthcare. My father-in-law and my dad are both retired and the VA is their health insurance now.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:12 PM

958 posts, read 2,133,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Treatment of our Vets is a scandal. It's been that way since Vietnam, no one in office seems to care, other than the lip service flag waving and photo ops the GOP trots out when they want our votes. Here's a true story about just how bad (crazy?) it's gotten.

McCain, himself a Vet, voted 27 times to cut funding for the V.A. and/or to cut Veterans benefits. The National Chamber of Commerce (NCC) wants to close the V.A. hospital system and throw the Vets into the general hospital population - where members of the NCC can make a buck on them. Your local Chamber of Commerce is stabbing our vets in the back as part of the NCC program to privatize everything the government does.

BTW, the NCC also has tried for decades to close the military PX and Commissary systems so that our soldiers have to shop at, you guessed it, grocery chains that are members of the NCC.

It's all about the money. If we keep re-electing the same batch of weenies every 2, 4, or 6 years, nothing will change.
To those Veterans who have posted here I thank you for your service and sacrifices!

My father in law is retired Air Force. He went to the VA hospital in Dallas because of his hearing loss. It was due to a career of working on B-52 bombers.
15 years passed between the time he asked for a hearing aide and receiving one.

My dad is retired Army and the veteran of both the Korean and Vietnam wars.
He went to three different VA hospitals over the span of ten years to get treatment for service related conditions.
He only got the treatment he needed after having to pay for it himself.

I'm a Navy veteran who was discharged because I was diagnosed with epilepsy. No disability.
The only way I can get treatment and meds at the VA hospital is if I pay for it.

It's stupid to say it's one political party or another because it's BOTH so get off your soap box.

The finger pointing needs to stop and BOTH parties SHOULD realize there are real live men and women who are or have served and sacrificed for this nation honorably.
These same men and women are entitled to more than "take a number and wait" attitude.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:17 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
I agree. Both parties have failed our vets shamefully. I personally think they should not get one bit of care that is not available to the vets. I think it is up to us....since we can't rely on the conscience of the elected...to raise enough cain that they know they will pay at the ballot box if they don't fix this mess.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:20 PM

Yep, I'm not looking forward to my hearing aids when I need them. Father has tenitus and hearing loss from being a yellow shirt on the flight deck. I'm starting to get tenitus. Can't get my wife to remember to talk slower when she talks to me or her dad. She talks to us the way she talks to her lady friends,...almost as fast as the "micro machines" commercial speed talking guy. We can hear, but we can't distinguish sounds so easily anymore. When she's talking to me I have to pause what I'm watching (thank you DVR) so I can give her my full attention and under stand what it is she's trying to tell me. It's frustrating for her and me.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:38 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The reason for this attitude is that we no longer have a draft. They are thought of as paid troops with no status. I say we should go back to everyone having to do their part and serve their fair share. That way it won't be us and them, it will be everybody who knows the price they pay for our freedom.
Your absolutely right. This is a reflection of the distance between a professional military and the people they serve. I Don't think a draft is the right way to go, but we need people to feel more connected to the military that defends them.

Politically we have one party that can barely conceal its contempt for the military and another that loves to wrap it self in the flag with lavish blubbering testimonies of gratitude and of respect - until the bill comes. Then its "What? Who me pay?"

The more things change.......

TOMMY

[SIZE=2]I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away"; But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play, The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play, O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside"; But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide, The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide, O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?" But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll, The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll, O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind", But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind, There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind, O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!" But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot; An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please; An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!
[/SIZE]

-Rudyard Kipling 1890

Old 06-18-2009, 11:18 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,292,229 times
it's sickening how our gov't treats the vets.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:20 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The reason for this attitude is that we no longer have a draft. They are thought of as paid troops with no status. I say we should go back to everyone having to do their part and serve their fair share. That way it won't be us and them, it will be everybody who knows the price they pay for our freedom.

The really sad thing is that if you give a donation, they start hounding you for more money. I usually give money for causes about once a year per organization. I sent a donation to the vets and ended up being bombarded with letters asking for more. I should not be having to send donations, the government should take care of the vets before anyone else.

NCN, this has been going on since waaay before the draft ended. I remember a friend of mine who lost his leg in the because of the VA hospital's neglect. He was a WW2 vet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies