Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 09:23 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,611,203 times

Advertisements

"The fresh-faced teenage girl killed by what appears to be a single sniper shot on the streets of Tehran Saturday is now a potent symbol for Iran's pro-democracy protesters."
Read more: Neda, young girl brutally killed in Iran, becoming symbol of rebellion

With her father before she was shot:

YouTube - NEDA befor she was shot

Actual video after she is shot--very disturbing:

YouTube - Iran Election June 20, 2009 A girl shot by a basij member in Kargar Ave, Tehran Iran

Last edited by helenejen; 06-22-2009 at 09:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 02:15 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,605,383 times
Just horrible!

Old 06-22-2009, 02:17 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,582,915 times
She is 27 not 16.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:24 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
The fact that the Iranian government explicitly prohibited Iranian mosques from hosting a memorial ceremony for this young lady is the exact reason that Iran should be considered the oppressive, religously fanatical regime that it is, and nations worldwide should treat it as such. Human rights are nearly non-existent. It's time to put a chokehold on these fools.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:29 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,476,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The fact that the Iranian government explicitly prohibited Iranian mosques from hosting a memorial ceremony for this young lady is the exact reason that Iran should be considered the oppressive, religously fanatical regime that it is, and nations worldwide should treat it as such. Human rights are nearly non-existent. It's time to put a chokehold on these fools.
Are you suggesting that the US stop working with all oppressive regimes? Or is Iran a special case?

Old 06-22-2009, 02:33 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Are you suggesting that the US stop working with all oppressive regimes? Or is Iran a special case?
Which oppressive regimes are we supporting that are developing nuclear weapons outside of the NNPT, threatening to wipe another nation off the map, and killing protesters in the street because of a tainted election? For the life of me, I can't think of a single nation. Enlighten me.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
She is 27 not 16.
Thanks. Many news reports still have her at 16. I'll see if one of the mods can amend the thread title.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:38 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,476,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Which oppressive regimes are we supporting that are developing nuclear weapons outside of the NNPT, threatening to wipe another nation off the map, and killing protesters in the street because of a tainted election? For the life of me, I can't think of a single nation. Enlighten me.
First there is no actual proof that Iran is producing nuclear weapons, only conjecture.

Second, I can think of a slew of oppressive regimes we're good buddies with including Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and Israel. Believe me, I'd be for not working with countries like that but it would be a pretty dramatic shift of US foreign policy.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:40 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,904,986 times
I've read that the man was her professor, not her father.
â€*BBC ‮فارسی‬ - ‮ايران‬ - ‮نامزد ندا آقا سلطان: ندا خواهان آزادی بود، آزادی برای همه‬
Translated by huffpo readers:
Quote:
"About the day of the incident, Mr. Makan said: "When the clashes were occurring, Neda was far away from the demonstrations, she was in one of the side alleys near Amir Abad. Thirsty and tired or being cooped up for about an hour in the car in heavy traffic with her music instructor, she finally gets out of the car and, based on the pictures sent in by the people, armed forces in civilian clothes and the Basiji targeted and shot her in the heart."

Old 06-22-2009, 02:47 PM

Ahh. I didn't think that the first video showed her acting as a protester, per se, though it is difficult to know how all of the protesting is actually manifesting since merely being on the streets seems like it could function as a protest at this point, especially given the eagerness of the those doing the cracking down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies