Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 02:05 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Lieutenant Colonel Fehrenbach, Assistant Director of Operations for the 366th Operations Support Squadron at Mountain Home Air Force Base in Idaho, has honorably served his country for 18 years as an F-15E pilot. He has received nine air medals, including a Medal for Heroism during the 2003 invasion of Iraq, and was hand-picked to protect the airspace over Washington, D.C. after the Pentagon was attacked on September 11, 2001. Lieutenant Colonel Fehrenbach, who has flown combat missions in Iraq and Afghanistan against the Taliban and al Qaeda, continues to serve while the recommendation for his honorable discharge moves forward to a review board, and eventually to the Secretary of the Air Force. Just two years away from his 20-year retirement, he stands to lose $46,000 a year in retirement and medical benefits for the rest of his life if discharged.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 02:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
dont ask dont tell, PROTECTS ALL
No it doesn't. It gives heterosexuals special rights to talk openly about their wives, girlfriends, husbands, and boyfriends without fear of being fired. It's a ridiculous policy.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:07 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,156 times
So how many does it take to get Obama to do it?

Old 06-23-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post

So how many does it take to get Obama to do it?
Well, if you don't see YOUR representative as a signatory on the letter, write to them and demand that they step up and add their name and support (mine is on there).

The lend your own voice directly to the President by using the contact us link at whitehouse.gov. That's what I just did.

Too often we forget that our Congresscritters work for US! We have to tell them what we want and demand that they follow through, or risk being voted out of office. Hold their feet to the fire. They were hired by you to represent YOU. Make them do it!

Old 06-23-2009, 03:01 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Well, if you don't see YOUR representative as a signatory on the letter, write to them and demand that they step up and add their name and support (mine is on there).

The lend your own voice directly to the President by using the contact us link at whitehouse.gov. That's what I just did.

Too often we forget that our Congresscritters work for US! We have to tell them what we want and demand that they follow through, or risk being voted out of office. Hold their feet to the fire. They were hired by you to represent YOU. Make them do it!

Old 06-23-2009, 03:01 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Thanks for that kind observation.

I wonder why the Republican ratio of support is 1/178 (.56%). They love to say that they believe in treating everyone equally without "special rights" for anyone. In this case, they obviously don't believe that.
I didn't realize this is a Republican vs. Democrat conversation. Silly me, I thought it was a thread to show the support (?) of Congress for the repeal of DADT, of which I pointed out that 17.7% is not very much "support."

Old 06-23-2009, 03:21 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I didn't realize this is a Republican vs. Democrat conversation. Silly me, I thought it was a thread to show the support (?) of Congress for the repeal of DADT, of which I pointed out that 17.7% is not very much "support."
I think I made it clear in the title of the thread and in my first post that I found it interesting that only one Republican signed the letter. The scope of the discussion is wide enough to wonder about that.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

I think I made it clear in the title of the thread and in my first post that I found it interesting that only one Republican signed the letter. The scope of the discussion is wide enough to wonder about that.
Sure. But AeroGuyDC, was just responding to the poster above, who'd said that Obama's not pushing it through because he doesn't have the support he needs, by showing the ratio, including the 1 Republican of 77/435, which confirms that contention. It sounded like a simple matter of fact-stating to me.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:50 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
I'm SURE my congressional rep. signed it. Her name is Tammy Baldwin and she was the first woman who was openly a lesbian at the time of her election to be elected to congress.

My oldest daughter, who is a Sgt.Major in the Army, has said many, many times that she, and most of the NCOs she knows, consider the DADT rule ridiculous and a waste of good people. She tells her troops that if they think they have never showered with a homosexual since they have been in the Army then they must be pretty darned dirty by now.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:52 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Obama could issue an executive order today to order the military stop discharging people under DADT but he would much rather shove responsibility to Congress.

My representative didn't sign the letter but he is a cosponsor of legislation that would in effect repeal DADT (H.R. 1283). I just wonder why he didn't sign the letter...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies