Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Mark Sanford resign?
Yes 73 59.35%
No 50 40.65%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:41 PM

454 posts, read 796,118 times

Advertisements

Best line so far:

"he outsourced the affair. A slap in the face to American homewreckers!"

Via twitter @Danny_in_Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 07:53 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,874,675 times
I'm from SC and I, very reluctantly, say Sanford should serve out his term and not run for re-election. It would be in the best interest of our State, which is an extremely sad thing to admit, for him to stay in office. The behind the scenes story here from some media people indicate that other Repubs with political aspirations finally had something on Sanford. They orchestrated the leaking of information and this media frenzy. Sanford is guilty. No doubt. If we had a good runner-up to finish the term, his resignation should be demanded. NOt for the affair but for leaving his position and our state interests without leadership and representation. Perhaps some good things can come out of this debacle for our state. Perhaps finally this corrupt, good-ole boy network of politicing will be irrepairably broken. Perhaps this will be the impetus to get folks here to begin to think differently about what we need in our leadership. I'm a fiscal ultra-conservative and a social moderate/liberal....which is not the norm for the voting block in our state. It's time that we find a good business-minded independent to lead our state out of this stagnation...... 3rd highest unemployment rate in the nation; extremely high teen pregnancy and domestic violence rates, near the bottom of all educational rankings.....Folks, we have had serious problems down here for decades. The same type of folks marching through that office will NOT bring us the change we need. And finally, concerning his Christian faith...... ALL Christians are hypocrits. Yep. I'm a Christian and we all sin. Can't get around that. Christians are humans and we do things we know are wrong. Sometimes, very wrong. Don't let that throw you. The problem with Sanford is that he judged others by Christian standards that he himself failed to meet. God will forgive him. it looks like his wife might forgive him. This is a lesson in humility that we as Christians must be verrrryyyyyy sensitive to. There is a reason we are taught: Judge not, lest you too shall be judged. As soon as you start pointing a finger at someone else and their sin, you set yourself up to be tested in that same way. God bless his family and God bless and help our state to navigate through this to better days. Lord knows we have a great many suffering people down here.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:57 PM

454 posts, read 796,118 times
tinabean, although we disagree on much, that was a lovely, heartfelt post.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:59 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Personally, I couldn't care less whether he resigns or not. But given where he comes from, I had to pick what he preached...

“I think it would be much better for the country and for him personally (to resign). I come from the business side. If you had a chairman or president in the business world facing these allegations, he’d be gone.â€
- Mark Sanford on Clinton, The Post and Courier, 9/12/98

“The issue of lying is probably the biggest harm, if you will, to the system of Democratic government, representatives government, because it undermines trust. And if you undermine trust in our system, you undermine everything.â€
- Mark Sanford on Clinton, CNN, 2/16/99
If he said that, and you have specific dates and publications so I don't doubt he did, yeah, he should resign. And if he does not, he should be fired for stupidity. It's one thing to have an affair, it's another thing to just go off the deep end, fly to Argentina for 5 days, without saying anything even to your own wife...good grief.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:05 PM

339 posts, read 707,538 times
He should, and there should be a lot of others (both D and R) that should be right there with him. You have people who have been associated with suspicious car crashes that led to anothers death, liars, alleged pimps and thieves still working and in important positions. And...I'm not talking crazy here. These examples are literal.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:13 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD View Post
He should, and there should be a lot of others (both D and R) that should be right there with him.
I was just thinking the same thing. Doesn't it seem like there are more characters inhabiting statehouses around the country than ever before?

Old 06-24-2009, 08:19 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
It's sad to see the way "Conservatives" follow their leaders like sheeps with blindfolds on their eyes.
Now all "Conservatives" stand up to defend "Gov. Argentinian-Whorehouse"
Buy a pair of ....... and stand up for what you claim you believe in,
and say: "YES, Sanford should quit because what he did is inmoral"

Any time a "Conservative" is found to do something inmoral
the moral values party defend him/her by saying
"There was a democrat 10 years ago that did something similar"
So somehow, that makes it ok.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:20 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,927 times
Resign? Are you kidding me?! I want him on the GOP ticket in 2012

Just make sure not to run him with Palin on the same ticket. We don't need her getting needlessly knocked up by this lecherous, womanizing heathen during the campaign.

If that were to happen the republicans might accidently pick someone half way decent (not saying a lot for the GOP, I know!) to take their place and win the election.

Proceed with caution.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:25 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Should he or should he not?
Resign...not necessarily over the affair , over the irresponsibility of disappearing for four days....what a colosal dope!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:30 PM

339 posts, read 707,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
It's sad to see the way "Conservatives" follow their leaders like sheeps with blindfolds on their eyes.
Now all "Conservatives" stand up to defend "Gov. Argentinian-Whorehouse"
Buy a pair of ....... and stand up for what you claim you believe in,
and say: "YES, Sanford should quit because what he did is inmoral"

Any time a "Conservative" is found to do something inmoral
the moral values party defend him/her by saying
"There was a democrat 10 years ago that did something similar"
So somehow, that makes it ok.
It's probably because there was a Democrat 10 years ago that did something similar. That wouldn't be hard to find an example of. And before you spout off, I think Sanford should resign (see above). I just don't think the resignations should stop there. There are a lot of both D's and R's that should. You can't pick and choose. If you think Sanford and some other R's should (as I do), you need to step up and give notice to all the D's that need to go with him (as I do). Otherwise...your a "sheeps" too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies