Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:42 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,337,336 times

Advertisements

I don't think this should be coming out of tax money. The Jackson estate should reimburse the city for these costs, especially since the city is practically bankrupt and it's federal bailout money that will end up paying for this.

I'm just thrilled that they were able to put on their glitzy "death special" ad nauseum, complete with people celebrating drunk in the streets, but now it's time to start writing some checks to pay back the taxpayers!

Mayor's office: Michael Jackson memorial cost L.A. $1.4 million - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 08:38 PM

1,667 posts, read 4,720,492 times
American men & women dye for our country overseas every day with hardly a slight mention in the news. But a man best known for molesting children sucks LA for a 1.4 mil dollar funeral?

We are one screwed up star gazing bunch.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,724,380 times
Have we turned into Sodom or Gomorrah ?

Old 07-08-2009, 08:42 PM

9,059 posts, read 13,001,035 times
Meh, what's another million and a half?

The state anticipates federal gubmint money. Why not party it up Kalifornia style?

Old 07-08-2009, 08:43 PM

7,789 posts, read 8,058,028 times
hell just another IOU. thats how california pays its bills now

Old 07-08-2009, 08:46 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,705,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Meh, what's another million and a half?

The state anticipates federal gubmint money. Why not party it up Kalifornia style?
Michael Jackson was a big part of my musical evolution in theory/composition, but I do think they went just a tad bit overboard.

Oh, and not ALL of California is LA and one day people will realize this. For those people who have actually lived here they know that LA is it's own little pocket of weird.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:53 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,091,566 times
Michael wasn't a child molester please let me know where the verdict and conviction of him being one is. Were you there? It has been proven that Elvis slept with under age girls why was he not arrested and tried in the court of public opinion? Anyways, the police was needed for the event. It is just like saying that the Lakers don't need the police after they win a championship. The estate should pay for the expense though. The money was never to come out of the pockets of tax payers so please get your facts straight.

For those of you who are just haters and will use this format to complain about MJ grow up. Don't you have something better to do? Get over the jealously and realization that your passing will never be that great. Finally, to those who make it an issue about remembering service men and women at this time we should always remember them as they give much for us and we as a society can't be going back and forth with honoring Michael as he provided funding for people in the service and people around the world. He provided aid this country was not and did provide. He also visited service people as every American should do and I bet none of you have. You guys won't remember the service people a week from now either. You should be blaming George Bush every day for the lost lives and hatred others countries have about us. He created this mess NOT Michael Jackson. Give credit where credit is due. Michael RIP Michael.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:54 PM

9,059 posts, read 13,001,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Michael Jackson was a big part of my musical evolution in theory/composition, but I do think they went just a tad bit overboard.

Oh, and not ALL of California is LA and one day people will realize this. For those people who have actually lived here they know that LA is it's own little pocket of weird.
So Los Angeles is fiscally solvent enough to hold this party? Somehow I doubt it.

Doesn't matter if it was Gandhi who died. If you can't afford it, don't have it.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:27 PM

382 posts, read 956,246 times
What a group of idiots running Cali. It's no wonder their in the fix their in. How did it turn out that all these government geniuses didn't realize that this ridiculous hyped event would cost the city $1.4 million?

Also amazing is all the millionaires that attended the cry fest are now nowhere to be seen when it comes to footing the bill and helping out their beloved LA.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:33 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,107,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Michael wasn't a child molester please let me know where the verdict and conviction of him being one is. Were you there? It has been proven that Elvis slept with under age girls why was he not arrested and tried in the court of public opinion? Anyways, the police was needed for the event. It is just like saying that the Lakers don't need the police after they win a championship. The estate should pay for the expense though. The money was never to come out of the pockets of tax payers so please get your facts straight.

For those of you who are just haters and will use this format to complain about MJ grow up. Don't you have something better to do? Get over the jealously and realization that your passing will never be that great. Finally, to those who make it an issue about remembering service men and women at this time we should always remember them as they give much for us and we as a society can't be going back and forth with honoring Michael as he provided funding for people in the service and people around the world. He provided aid this country was not and did provide. He also visited service people as every American should do and I bet none of you have. You guys won't remember the service people a week from now either. You should be blaming George Bush every day for the lost lives and hatred others countries have about us. He created this mess NOT Michael Jackson. Give credit where credit is due. Michael RIP Michael.

So Elvis was convisdted of staturory rape;is what you are saying? Or are you failing to give him the same presumption as you give jackson? Was Elvis even indicted?Then you start on Bush.Was JFK guilty of 60,000 service deaths in vietnam? r is only republicans that are preasdient guilty because they are republicans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies