Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 04:50 PM

24,438 posts, read 23,107,566 times

Advertisements

And the thread becomes yet another " Obama is just like Bush so quit saying he's bad." defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 05:07 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,349,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am sorry, but I really don't. I honestly don't understand how it is any of the government's business what health care I have.
They're not telling you what health insurance company to buy from.
This is not health care it's health insurance.
No offense, but you need to get informed on the proposals.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:30 PM

7,966 posts, read 9,180,543 times
^^^^^^^^^

No, they are not telling you which insurance company to buy from, but they are giving business a large incentive NOT to offer insurance. It will be interesting to see how many companies stop offering health insurance, further adding to the numbers of the uninsured who now have to go to a govt plan (but I guess that was the idea anyway, huh Rahm Emmanuel)

A $750 annual fee doesn't even cover 1 month of the average family health insurance premium. You can tell this bill was written by a bunch of politicians who have never had to purchase their own insurance. They are clueless to the true cost. Business will be awash in profits to hand to their shareholders. Raises for employees? Probably not, (after all unemployment is high, and I'm sure they could find someone who would take the job, even without health insurance).

But as a sole proprietor who has to pay market rate for insurance, I would welcome more people to my scenario. It will be nice to see everyone, particularly those who have been claiming how much money will be saved by using this plan, suffer economically as we all get some "skin in the game".

Old 07-02-2009, 05:37 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,482,960 times
I like how conservatives are supporting and defending the greedy insurance companies over the people of the country. Greed breeds greed I guess. What a "gimmie mine" culture we live in today.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:43 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,773,506 times
The problem is that there is not enough money in the world to support the current overpriced, corrupt and Government controlled system. We have to figure out how to get costs down and deregulate the drug industry to get drug prices down and stop the stupid prescription system. You should be able to go to a drug store and buy whatever you want on the open market. The medical malpractice system should be reformed to get greedy lawyers out. And by all means, create a national database of medical conditions and an open testing system for those who have no access to doctors but need help. The current system is an utter failure, time to get common sense back in.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:48 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,936,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Do you really think this is full medical coverage? I mean really? You think that $60,000,000,000 a year will insure 97% of americans 100%? Then tell me why the SCHIP program cost $40 Billion to insure just 2% of the population? This program will cover 50+ times as many (290,000,000 individuals) for just 50% more than the cost of the SCHIP program (i.e. $20 Billion more). Wow, thats some cost savings and obviously some math somewhere is wrong. I do note the story doesnt list what type of "medical coverage" 97% of americans would have..
It is all smoke and mirrors for the sheep.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:58 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,936,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
WASHINGTON — Democrats on a key Senate Committee outlined a revised and far less costly
health care plan Wednesday night that includes a government-run insurance option and an
annual fee on employers who do not offer coverage to their workers.

New HELP Bill Covers 97 Percent Of Americans, Costs $600 Billion

Were getting warm...
Well let me see. My employer gives me $2000 a year towards my HCA. I use this to meet deductibles co-pays, etc.. I carry over any unused to a max. of $5000. I pay approx $500 a month while my employer pays the remaining, about $1000. So my employer pays min. $14000 a year to offer me insurance. Yep I am sure they will stick with their plan out of the goodness of their heart.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:11 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,349,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Well let me see. My employer gives me $2000 a year towards my HCA. I use this to meet deductibles co-pays, etc.. I carry over any unused to a max. of $5000. I pay approx $500 a month while my employer pays the remaining, about $1000. So my employer pays min. $14000 a year to offer me insurance. Yep I am sure they will stick with their plan out of the goodness of their heart.
When and if this gets passed. You employer is going to find out how bad they have been getting raped all these years.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:55 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,990,690 times
Quote:
Analysis by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, released in a letter yesterday, shows that it would cover just 39 percent of uninsured Americans in 2019 -- or about 21 million of the 54 million people expected to lack coverage if no change is made.
Quote:
"The figures presented in this letter do not represent a formal or complete cost estimate for the draft legislation," CBO Director Douglas W. Elmendorf wrote. The draft legislation does not include details on how to pay for expanded coverage or administrative fees.
Don't know where you're getting 97% - Oh HuffPo, that says it all.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The problem is that there is not enough money in the world to support the current overpriced, corrupt and Government controlled system. We have to figure out how to get costs down and deregulate the drug industry to get drug prices down and stop the stupid prescription system. You should be able to go to a drug store and buy whatever you want on the open market. The medical malpractice system should be reformed to get greedy lawyers out. And by all means, create a national database of medical conditions and an open testing system for those who have no access to doctors but need help. The current system is an utter failure, time to get common sense back in.
It's easier to just subsidize the insurance than to actually fix the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies