Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:49 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
I guarantee that this kid has been forced to go to church and forced to say prayers and forced to read the bible from the day of their birth. There is no more disturbing form of ACCEPTED CHILD ABUSE than the ritualistic brainwashing of religion. By forcing a child to be indoctrinated into a religious cult before they have the ability to analyze the information presented to them, a parent is truly doing severe damage to their child. Let them discover religion on their own when they are old enough to understand the difference between myth and fact (any retards believe that Noah's ark was real and able to hold food, waste and avoid rampant disease for 40 days on a wooden ship?) and can make rational decisions not to go overboard with religion. The parents are mentally ill, and the child is probably going to be too.
Wow. So, tell us straight - are you pro or anti religion!

And, when you say that a 7th grader should not have an opinion on abortion - I ask why shouldn't they? After all - there are 7th Graders getting pregnant!

As for your comments about children being "Forced" to go to Church, say prayers etc - and that it is Child Abuse; I seriously question YOUR ability to have a rational and reasoned opinion on the matter inasmuch as the rest of your post was clearly an expression of hatred toward religion in general.

But consider this: How many MILLIONS of children grew up going to church, saying prayers in, and out, of church and turned out wonderfully - and not mentally ill as you so forcefully predicted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 10:57 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
it probably has a lot to do with teachers unions, and how much we spend compared to how well our students do.
Teachers make dick. I know because I was a teacher who left for the private sector (the world of finance) because I couldn't make more than $35,000 as a young teacher, and would never make more than $50,000 unless I was especially lucky. For a job that requires a lot of hard work (preparing lesson plans, grading essays, dealing with parents, etc.), and post-graduate education, it's paid very poorly.

I went to Public School for 4 years (went to prestigious private schools for the rest of my schooling) and I can say without question that the reason why our students suck is because schools don't have enough resources and teachers aren't paid enough. Higher wages means better teachers. More funding means smaller classes, which means more successful students. My Private HS had only about 11-12 students per class and was capped at 15 a class...my Public HS had 45 students in my English Class and 35+ in every other class. Very few teachers can have an impact with a ratio of 40:1, how can they possibly give any personal attention to any student?

Old 07-07-2009, 11:11 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Wow. So, tell us straight - are you pro or anti religion!

And, when you say that a 7th grader should not have an opinion on abortion - I ask why shouldn't they? After all - there are 7th Graders getting pregnant!

As for your comments about children being "Forced" to go to Church, say prayers etc - and that it is Child Abuse; I seriously question YOUR ability to have a rational and reasoned opinion on the matter inasmuch as the rest of your post was clearly an expression of hatred toward religion in general.

But consider this: How many MILLIONS of children grew up going to church, saying prayers in, and out, of church and turned out wonderfully - and not mentally ill as you so forcefully predicted?
But they are mentally ill. Anyone who believes in a magical fairy called "god" who somehow created everything and who watches over us all (ignoring all the suffering worldwide and all the conflicting views of "god") is mentally ill. You have to be to believe in such moronic notions as those presented in most organized religions. It is child abuse to force a child to do something they don't understand and is harmful to their mental abilities. Why do you need to indoctrinate a child into your cult? If it's really the "right relgion", they will find it on their own, right?

The mental illness known as relgion has caused the deaths of hundreds of millions worldwide, so yeah, I find that religion is harmful to us all. Radical Christian nutjobs have murdered doctors who were performing their duty (and the wishes of hundreds of patients) in the name of their religion. Hate flows through our politics because of the backwards views most Evangelicals have. Eliminate the Religious Right from this country and we'd be much better off. The debate would be about small government vs. big government, not Jesus vs Satan like those nutjobs think.

I live for this world and try to make it a better place. I don't need to have some church-forced guilt trip to make me do Charity, I volunteer every week of my life to help at-risk youth. I don't need some silly notion of "heaven" to make me feel better about the brevity of life. And I certainly don't need to have 12 year olds with opinions on Abortion, because it would not have come from anywhere but their parents. If you can't get your opinion across, using your child to do it is a sign of horrible parenting and should be proof enough of a mental illness.

Do you really think this kid will have a normal life? Don't you think it was child abuse for the parents to indoctrinate this child to the point where they are now a pariah? What good comes to the child because of this? If they were allowed to wear the shirt, what good would have come from it? WHERE DID THE KID GET THE SHIRT????

Old 07-07-2009, 11:14 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
But they are mentally ill. Anyone who believes in a magical fairy called "god" who somehow created everything and who watches over us all (ignoring all the suffering worldwide and all the conflicting views of "god") is mentally ill. You have to be to believe in such moronic notions as those presented in most organized religions. It is child abuse to force a child to do something they don't understand and is harmful to their mental abilities. Why do you need to indoctrinate a child into your cult? If it's really the "right relgion", they will find it on their own, right?

The mental illness known as relgion has caused the deaths of hundreds of millions worldwide, so yeah, I find that religion is harmful to us all. Radical Christian nutjobs have murdered doctors who were performing their duty (and the wishes of hundreds of patients) in the name of their religion. Hate flows through our politics because of the backwards views most Evangelicals have. Eliminate the Religious Right from this country and we'd be much better off. The debate would be about small government vs. big government, not Jesus vs Satan like those nutjobs think.

I live for this world and try to make it a better place. I don't need to have some church-forced guilt trip to make me do Charity, I volunteer every week of my life to help at-risk youth. I don't need some silly notion of "heaven" to make me feel better about the brevity of life. And I certainly don't need to have 12 year olds with opinions on Abortion, because it would not have come from anywhere but their parents. If you can't get your opinion across, using your child to do it is a sign of horrible parenting and should be proof enough of a mental illness.

Do you really think this kid will have a normal life? Don't you think it was child abuse for the parents to indoctrinate this child to the point where they are now a pariah? What good comes to the child because of this? If they were allowed to wear the shirt, what good would have come from it? WHERE DID THE KID GET THE SHIRT????
Oh man, you are SO going to hell. I'll pray for you. LOL.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:02 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
A California mom says her public school administrators violated her daughter's First Amendment rights when they ordered the seventh-grader to take off her pro-life T-shirt.

...school Principal Terrie Rohrer, Assistant Principal C.W. Smith and office clerk Martha Hernandez mistreated her daughter and denied the girl her First Amendment rights when they ordered her to leave the cafeteria and change her shirt.

Seventh Grader Sues School Over Right to Wear Pro-Life T-Shirt - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com
Good, I hope she wins! I'm sick of our schools being liberal indoctrination centers. I'll bet the school would have been OK with a student wearing a gay pride t-shirt, and they have no problems forcing their distorted views of sex on our kids with sex education classes and handing out condoms, whether or not many people are offended by it.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
IU persoanlly bel;eieve in indivdaul rights but these lawsuits for any cause are just eating dollars needed for education. Its the madness of the days satrt long ago by so mnay that thought they were going a good thing. Bascailly i guess its the result of too many trial lawyers chasing too few real cases.Thsi is why more and more suits are being limited and will continue.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post

I do ask one thing , though. Why make your kids "political" when they go to school.
How do we know that the parents or anyone made the kid political? I know I dressed myself when I was in 7th grade...

Old 07-07-2009, 12:22 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
This is insanely silly. Parents will complain all day long about the lack of good public education... then some dingbats decide to sue the school over "violation of rights". Good grief. All the money spent on this frivolity is only going to ruin education for everyone else. Maybe the school system should sue the parents of this kid for legal fees.

Why can't school be 100% about learning vice every student trying to be an independent and unique snowflake?

Old 07-07-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If the kids cannot wear "Bong Hits For Jesus" than she can't either. The 1st Amendment which the REPUBLICANS have trashed with aholes like Clarence Thomas would apply to both. Now it applies to neither.
The "bong hits" thing crosses a line into promoting illegal drug use. Anything promoting drugs should NOT be allowed in schools.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:26 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Quote:
Absolutely.

We weren't allowed to wear red or blue bandanas because they were gang symbols...Raider's jackets too. A 7th grader should not have an opinion on abortion anyways, so it's definitely what the parent wants. The parents are just trying to bring attention to their issue (abortion is a stupid issue, it's a personal choice and many on both sides are hypocrites...why do so many anti-abortionists support the death penalty while so many pro-abortionists oppose it?) by exploiting their child.

I guarantee that this kid has been forced to go to church and forced to say prayers and forced to read the bible from the day of their birth. There is no more disturbing form of ACCEPTED CHILD ABUSE than the ritualistic brainwashing of religion. By forcing a child to be indoctrinated into a religious cult before they have the ability to analyze the information presented to them, a parent is truly doing severe damage to their child. Let them discover religion on their own when they are old enough to understand the difference between myth and fact (any retards believe that Noah's ark was real and able to hold food, waste and avoid rampant disease for 40 days on a wooden ship?) and can make rational decisions not to go overboard with religion. The parents are mentally ill, and the child is probably going to be too.

Hey Pug Life,

Just wanted to comment on the religion thing. See, I was brought up and went to church in the Lutheran church. It wasn't crammed down my throat, mind you, and we didnt' sit there as a family and study the Bible or anything. Religion certainly wasn't discussed in our house beyond going to Sunday School and being confirmed in our church.

that being said, as an adult I found my "spirituality". However. I believe in God, I just don't neccesarily believe in religion. That being said, I am grateful to my father for having brought me to church. It was like a foundation for me actually finding my own spiritual belief and connection with God. I do worry about how I will give that same thing to my child, as I do not belong to a church, but I want him to know about god and about the stories from the Bible.. because I think while they should not be taken literally, they do have some ultimately good and positive messages.

Because a parent teaches a child religion, the bible or takes them to church doesn't neccesarily make them mentally ill or freakish about their religion. Although I do know that there are many freakish people out there about religion..LOL.. and they are kind of nutty.

It's also important for parents to pass on the values they have to their children, so that if a family does believe that abortion is wrong (their choice) that is fine to pass onto the children. Doesn't always mean that as adults they will believe the same way.

That being said, professing yoru politics in a t-shirt is not neccesarily approriate in school. .although I do believe in debating the issues in such an environment in a classroom with your piers.

I promise you I am mentally sane.. and I do believe in God. What I also believe in is FREE WILL that all human beings have and that GOD lets us live our lives in all of it's goods and bad aspects to practice the Free Will he gave us. He has no control over the good , the bad or the ugly.. it's our own free will. We are here living, growing and learning for our souls all in an effort to be closer to and experience for our creator. There is a sane way to believe in GOD without being "mentally ill". I also do not go around preaching my beliefs or trying to convert others (I hate that)..although , as I am in this post, I am sharing what mine are with you to take or leave as you so wish.
Just wanted to say that, is all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies