Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:58 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,640 times

Advertisements

How can we REMOVE Mayor Buddy Dyer??

Does anyone know the legal process? How many signatures do we need on a petition?

This incompetent individual continues to waste our tax dollars on crap like expanding the arts center and enhacing the Orlando Area (which is public owned, so WHY should the taxpayers pay for the expansion while a private company profits from it)??? Can anyone answer this question??

In the meantime, Orlando desperately needs more cops on the street, an expansion of the Orange County Jail on 33rd Street, and more judges to make sure violent juveniles get tried within the legal time limit and don't get out on technicalities.

But no, this incredibly dumb individual (Dyer) continues to waste the funds and mismanages the city's infra-structure. Mr. Dyer, keep that money going to your precious arena and arts. Who cares about the crime?
You don't! And who cares about property values in crime-prone areas like MetroWest? You don't!

There is a discussion going on, on removing this poor excuse of a mayor and holding an discussion on ideas on how to go about this and how to get public attention to this horrendous mayor. A new election needs to be held and Dyer needs to go. Enough is enough!

If anyone has LEGAL info on this process or wants to help, please post here or PM.

Thanks!
Nirvana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 11:26 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,888 times
Sorry, but unless you actually live in the city limits of Orlando I don't think you have any say in who is mayor or who should be removed. If you do, then it all depends on the city ordinance in regards of removing a mayor from office - does anyone know of an ordinance that gives a citizen a provision for removing the mayor from office? I think that something illegal or extremely unethical would have to take place like with the whole ballot collection scandal back in 2005 - he was suspended but then the charges were dismissed and he got his job back. Legally, I do not think you can remove a major from office because of anything you have listed especially if you live in another town.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:43 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,369 times
I don't live in Orlando city limits, but I can certainly voice that I'd love to see Dyer ousted from office. He's done so many dirty back-room deals that he makes the Clintons look like the Cleavers.

One example is the Church Street fiasco between Lou Pearlman (Transcontinental) and the deal between Dyer - check that one out and see if your jaw doesn't drop to the floor!! Also, look at the city land (parking lot on Washington) that he practically gave away the Dynetech Center developers so they could construct a highrise condo there. If this was any developer than one that was "Buddy-Dyer Approved", they would have been shot down just on the basis that washington and the surrounding roads are way too narrow and congested already. No acel/decel lanes; no landscaping - NOTHING that non-connected developers would be required to provide - the list goes on and on. There are dozens of projects in Orlando that have the Buddy Dyer mark on them.

The nepotism and dirty back-room deals that take place between the Mayor of Orlando and private developers is absolutely amazing...amazing in the way the Mayor Dyer gets away with such blatently wrongful actions.

Well, I've added what needed to be said in addition to NG's comments - it's probably the one and only thing that I happen to agree with NG on. Someone really needs to investigate the Dirty Dyer Developer connections before he leaves Orlando bankrupt.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:07 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
I don't live in Orlando city limits, but I can certainly voice that I'd love to see Dyer ousted from office. He's done so many dirty back-room deals that he makes the Clintons look like the Cleavers.

One example is the Church Street fiasco between Lou Pearlman (Transcontinental) and the deal between Dyer - check that one out and see if your jaw doesn't drop to the floor!! Also, look at the city land (parking lot on Washington) that he practically gave away the Dynetech Center developers so they could construct a highrise condo there. If this was any developer than one that was "Buddy-Dyer Approved", they would have been shot down just on the basis that washington and the surrounding roads are way too narrow and congested already. No acel/decel lanes; no landscaping - NOTHING that non-connected developers would be required to provide - the list goes on and on. There are dozens of projects in Orlando that have the Buddy Dyer mark on them.

The nepotism and dirty back-room deals that take place between the Mayor of Orlando and private developers is absolutely amazing...amazing in the way the Mayor Dyer gets away with such blatently wrongful actions.

Well, I've added what needed to be said in addition to NG's comments - it's probably the one and only thing that I happen to agree with NG on. Someone really needs to investigate the Dirty Dyer Developer connections before he leaves Orlando bankrupt.
I agree with the both of you - he does seem very corrupt. To clarify though, I meant that legally you would have no say as to who is the mayor of Orlando is you do not live there. If you can't vote for the mayor then you can't get him out of office.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:50 PM

91 posts, read 496,070 times
All of them are crooks. Glenda Hood sold out to the rich with the Baldwin Park deal. It's been awhile since there has been a decent Mayor.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:27 PM

Yep, the Baldwin Park deal was about as crooked as they come. Glenda Hood was no better than Dyer.

How is it that thousands of acres of some of the most valueable land in all of Central Florida is basically "given" to one Developer by Glenda Hood. Did it go up for auction? Was any other developer provided with the opportunity to purchase all or part of it? Why wasn't the property divided up into smaller parcels and sold off piecemeal so that the City could have made lots of money on the sale of the property? How much money did the Developers of Baldwin Park make on that project? How much money did Glenda Hood get in her purse on that project?

Oh, and why hasn't the Orlando Sentinal done any investigative reporting to find out what happened with the Baldwin Park Swindle?

Old 04-19-2007, 07:56 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post

Richard:

There is a legal process to remove someone from office. I am trying to get info on how to do it. I may live in Lake Mary and I cannot sign such petitiuon, but I can PARTICIPATE and make a difference in the community.

I agree Glenda Hood was not better than Dyer, but at the very leats, she invested a LOT of money on cops and it really kept crime levels down.

I mean HOW could the popular Church Street Station go bankrupt just like that?!? Something is definitelly up here!!

Dyer just doesn't care about the city of Orlando. I am trying to figure out with school friends if it is even legal for Dyer to use city funds to build up an arena that is privately owned!!

Does anyone have any info on this??

Also, does anyone know the Florida Rule of Administrative Procedure on removal of city council and mayors?? I don't have a law library card anymore, thus I have very limited access to the info.

I am trying to help oprganize a meeting, which I will announce on the forum. A lot of people in Orlando are sick and tired of Dyer and his lack of attention to city's crime and traffic problems and his wasteful "back-alley deals" with developers.

Enough is enough. This kind of corruption must stop. If no corruption can be linked to Dyer, he should at the very least be removed on grounds of incompetnce and mismanagement!

Old 04-20-2007, 07:42 AM

There's a law library in the Orange County Library downtown. It should have everything you need to do your research.

Believe me, there are pleanty of people watching Dyer's every step. He has good lawyers making sure he doesn't screw up too bad, legally that is.

If you are going to look into any Dyer-Developer project, I'd look at the Dynetech project on Washington. That property used to be a city parking lot. It was sold to Dynetech who is building a highrise condo/office on it. It will have some public parking, but I believe they can charge whatever they want for it. Access to and from the building is a total joke. The roads are extremely narrow right there. It is adjacent to the Metropolitan, another condo conversion, that will further congest traffic in an area where the roads are basically non-existent. Furthermore, the building just about overhangs the street. There is barely enough room for a sidewalk, and no room at all for any green space or landscaping. HOW DID DYNETECH GET A PLAN APPROVED WITH NO GREEN SPACE, NO SETBACK, AND NO LANDSCAPING AND VERY POOR ACCESS?.

I've been involved in constructing buildings in Orange County and you wouldn't believe all of the green space, set back, landscaping, parking, accessability requirements you need to meet to just get the project approved, not to mention getting a final inspection. How do these jokers get away with breaking just about every code requirement and sniping public land to build a condo-highrise for their own gain?

I suspect a Dyer-Developer connection with Dynetech - I just don't have the time or energy to track this stuff down. But, that's where I'd focus my energy if I were you.

Here's something I found for you to get you started:

Quote:
Dynetech Centre will be the first high rise in the Central Florida region to include office, commercial and residential of this magnitude in the same tower; it will also serve as Dynetech Corporation’s international headquarters. In addition, the project will be the first major development designed as a transition between the Orange Avenue office corridor and the residential neighborhoods around Lake Eola and in Thornton Park.

“This development is just one more step in accomplishing my vision of a strong local economy and a revitalized and dynamic downtown,” said Mayor Buddy Dyer. “This is a great opportunity to retain and bring additional high-wage, high-value jobs to our city.
Here's some more for you: Laurence Pino (president of Dynetech) and Buddy Dyer are on the Board and Executive committee for The Metro Orlando Economic Development Commission. Pino backs Dyer-led projects:
Quote:
Laurence J. Pino
Founder & CEO of Dynetech Corporation
My Word Column in the Orlando Sentinel
July 20, 2006

"Orlando had an edge in a few areas. It has more mature infrastructure, with a broader variety of lifestyle opportunities, and the infrastructure in terms of the arts, sports and other sorts of public venues like this that are so important in creating the kind of environment that attracts a creative culture."
Dynetech Corp. founder Larry Pino and his wife, Janet, donated $1 million toward UCF's establishing a Medical School, a project that Buddy Dyer backed.

Track down the Pino's donations to things Dyer has been involved in - maybe you will find something. Somethings smells bad to me, but who knows?

Last edited by Prichard; 04-20-2007 at 08:03 AM..

Old 04-20-2007, 08:43 AM

1,247 posts, read 926,188 times
Vote in the next election.

So, you want less money spent on art, and more spent on prison and policing...

Old 04-20-2007, 08:58 AM

I guess my last post got the moderator a little concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies