Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:49 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times

Advertisements

It's the chicken littles versus the ostriches in denial who don't dare take their head out of the sand. But the fact is, both are frightened, they're just reacting to conditions differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 06:01 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Thanks to Tom DeLay and the Republicans, there's really no way of knowing where those clothes were made. Did you know that clothes made in the Mariana Islands can legally be labeled as "Made in the U.S.A?" These clothes are made in sweat shops by actual slave labor. Yes, slave labor - people who were told they were getting on a boat to the "U.S.A." and actually end up on an island, with no option of leaving.

Thanks Tom Delay and Jack Abramoff!!!

The Abramoff-DeLay-Mariana Islands Connection : NPR
Slave labor: made in the U.S.A.: under the influence of disgraced super-lobbyist Jack Abramoff, former House Majority Whip Tom DeLay became an apologist for slave labor camps—on American soil | New American, The | Find Articles at BNET
In my case there is....the clothes I have bought(or had bought for me) are made in the USA.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:21 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
In my case there is....the clothes I have bought(or had bought for me) are made in the USA.
Where? What part of the U.S.A? What were those workers paid that made those clothes? Were they Americans who made them, or immigrants? How do you know they were "made in the U.S.A?" The label? Cause that doesn't necessarily mean they were made here in the states.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:24 AM

The clothes were union made,here in the USA.

The boots are US Marine issue.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:25 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Where? What part of the U.S.A? What were those workers paid that made those clothes? Were they Americans who made them, or immigrants? How do you know they were "made in the U.S.A?" The label? Cause that doesn't necessarily mean they were made here in the states.
what does that matter?

Old 07-13-2009, 07:25 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
No...over 16% of the workforce is unemployed or underemployed and I believe that doesn't count those no longer receiving benefits...

And again,even if all the newly unemployed have jobs,where will the money come from,people were using their homes and easy credit to buy,hence why this happened.
I'm not going to debate again on U3 versus U6 and the great government conspiracy. The measurements and what they mean are on the BLS website for all to see. It really makes no difference to me what measurement you use...the numbers are the same.

Whatever number you want to cite, there were more people unemployed in 1982 when that recession ended. Again....once people who are still employed start spending again, that's when the cycle starts back up. We had more than 10% unemployed in 1982 and by 1984 the US GDP was over 7% for the year. Unemployment is a lagging indicator and is ALWAYS one of the last metrics to turn in any recession.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:22 AM

79 posts, read 74,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Live below your means and you will always feel rich.
This may work in the States, but in the UK it doesn't.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I'm not going to debate again on U3 versus U6 and the great government conspiracy. The measurements and what they mean are on the BLS website for all to see. It really makes no difference to me what measurement you use...the numbers are the same.

Whatever number you want to cite, there were more people unemployed in 1982 when that recession ended. Again....once people who are still employed start spending again, that's when the cycle starts back up. We had more than 10% unemployed in 1982 and by 1984 the US GDP was over 7% for the year. Unemployment is a lagging indicator and is ALWAYS one of the last metrics to turn in any recession.
In 1982,which figures were used by the fedgov. to report unemployment?

Old 07-13-2009, 10:47 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
You are right, unemployment was over 10% in 1982, and by 1984 the economy was well on its way to recovery. The one defining event that took place between 1982 and 1984 that changed everything was a 25% across the board tax cut spread over a three year period.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
The report, "Is the U.S. Unemployment Rate Today Already as High as It was in 1982?," adjusts the current unemployment rate to account for demographic and statistical differences that lower the unemployment rate today by 1.4 percentage points, relative to the official unemployment rate in 1982. After these adjustments, the current unemployment level rises to 9.5 percent, a level that is close to the 1982 average of 9.7 percent.

Dollars & Sense blog: Unemployment Rate On Par With 1982 Recession | Dollars & Sense

Of course,since then unemployment has risen....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies